Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this might be an unpopular post but I was wondering if I could possibly remove the fart sound when changing gears? Perhaps via tuning? Now that my exhaust is louder the fart sound it extremely loud too which I really really dislike. I have a bmw m3 with dual clutch and it doesn’t have that sound at all and would prefer that. Thanks all!

·
Super Moderator
4C SE, Giulietta Vel, 147, Sud, Guzzi 1100 Sport, Guzzi Le Mans MkV
12,650 Posts
The simple answer is ‘earplugs’. As always, if you change something the chances are there’s a negative consequence somewhere. With the twin centre-exit exhausts, you’ve replicated the 727, DC9 effect.

Now for the positives. As you pass someone who’s previously cut you off, a well-timed, full throttle gear change adjacent to that drivers’ window is quite satisfying. 😁

A muffled oem exhaust doesn’t fart. As I understand, your exhaust has no muffler?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The simple answer is ‘earplugs’. As always, if you change something the chances are there’s a negative consequence somewhere. With the twin centre-exit exhausts, you’ve replicated the 727, DC9 effect.

Now for the positives. As you pass someone who’s previously cut you off, a well-timed, full throttle gear change adjacent to that drivers’ window is quite satisfying. 😁

A muffled oem exhaust doesn’t fart. As I understand, your exhaust has no muffler?
Hahahah u crack me up @Alfanut .
I believe the standard muffler exhuast also farts but just a lot less and quieter? I feel like I’m driving a loud golf at the moment. Does your original track pack exhaust fart? Mine was originally a non track pack which came with an exhuast with a muffler. The current centre exit muffler is 100% similar sounding to the centreline exhaust which has no muffler

·
Super Moderator
12,650 Posts
I don’t have the race pack. Yes, I originally had the standard muffled exhaust but it wasn’t dramatic enough. As a consequence I went to an Alfaworks Quicksilver Helmholtz exhaust and got the compromise I was after. The exhaust tip angle of that exhaust is an acquired taste. I call it individuality. Others call it visually annoying.😅

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I originally had the standard muffled exhaust but it wasn’t dramatic enough. As a consequence I went to an Alfaworks Quicksilver Helmholtz exhaust and got the compromise I was after. The exhaust tip angle of that exhaust is an acquired taste. Call it individuality.
Does yours fart too? Would u say it’s louder than the race exhaust?

·
Super Moderator
12,650 Posts
Does the hemholtz exhuast have a muffler? I love my exhaust upon startup and when it’s idling and driving normally expect when it farts :(
It has a resonance chamber of a certain length to cancel the drone frequencies that resonate in the drivers’ compartment of the coupe, not a typical muffler with sound absorbing material.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I can sell you a standard exhaust if you want one.
Otherwise I recommend the Novitec Trofeo - barks not farts. Still loud.

But...I see you have a centre exhaust, so probably of little interest.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can sell you a standard exhaust if you want one.
Otherwise I recommend the Novitec Trofeo - barks not farts. Still loud.

But...I see you have a centre exhaust, so probably of little interest.
Do u have the standard race exhuast @Knievil ? What did u switch to? Let me go listen to some sample of exhuast sound online and decide. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Is the M3 a turbo car (fart prone) and/or is it really a heavily muffled car with fake engine sounds pumped into the cabin?

Also, you can practically straight pipe many Bimmers and never hear what comes out the tailpipe from the driver's seat even with windows down.

M3 has more exhaust tubing to play with given it's not a mid engined car.

So, aggressive exhaust muffling, sound deadening so you're insulated from the driver's seat, and make the 4C front engined, and put some cash aside for the electronic fake engine noise system. Then the analogy can stand.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sitting in my roof space.

The race exhaust won’t fit your car. You have the standard mid pipe which is straight, compared to the race exhaust mid pipe which has a bend to it.
Oh that’s good to know. Didn’t know u can’t fit race exhaust (unless I modify the mid pipe?) How come your have two exhaust in your roof space? I realise the race exhaust is similar sound to mine except that mine is louder.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is the M3 a turbo car (fart prone) and/or is it really a heavily muffled car with fake engine sounds pumped into the cabin?

Also, you can practically straight pipe many Bimmers and never hear what comes out the tailpipe from the driver's seat even with windows down.

M3 has more exhaust tubing to play with given it's not a mid engined car.

So, aggressive exhaust muffling, sound deadening so you're insulated from the driver's seat, and make the 4C front engined, and put some cash aside for the electronic fake engine noise system. Then the analogy can stand.
Good question. I never liked the song of the m3 regardless of the exhaust it has. Am just curious to why it didn’t have any fart sound when changing gears. Porsches GT series don’t have fart sounds too and I don’t think they have much of a resonator of muffler. Any idea what creates the fart sound?

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Good question. I never liked the song of the m3 regardless of the exhaust it has. Am just curious to why it didn’t have any fart sound when changing gears. Porsches GT series don’t have fart sounds too and I don’t think they have much of a resonator of muffler. Any idea what creates the fart sound?
It's the turbo. Upon shifting, the boost/load increases suddenly, so a sudden , compressed surge hits the exhaust. Since turbos are natural exhaust mufflers, the exhaust goes from it's quiter/smoother moment at high revs, then the next gear hits the turbo hard with the sudden lower-rpm load, and a sudden exhaust burst hits the system.

Turbos are silencers most of the time. It's hard to get a small turbo car to sound good, because they are powered by exhaust gases, but the best part of a dual-clutch trans is the boost never drops, so the fart is the calling card of ''this is why a dual-clutch trans in a small turbo car is best.'' The fart proves the argument that DCT > Manual trans in a 4C, because it is saying 'relentless boost, even when shifting!''

(physics-wise, might be more of a combo of an interruption/surge that breaks up the flow, but the shortest answer is 'it's a turbo thing with DCTs)

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have the akrapovic exhaust and it farts pretty loud between shifts. I love the sound of turbos, wastegates, blowoffs, and the ocassional burble, but I'm not a fan of the fart.

Also the fart is the only thing that seems to come across on camera and in videos. Every time I watch a 4c on youtube I think that people who dont own one must think it sounds like shit.

Little do they know how loud the turbo is behind you. Its intoxicating...

Reactions: zr33
1 - 20 of 50 Posts