Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not to derail this thread, but I have an Akra exhaust and my car used to fart a lot, but not anymore, although I would like for it to do so. Although, I did notice once I went a few weeks without revving the car out (I know...) and it briefly started farting again. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The Akra exhaust sounds like my car in all aspects. Except that mine is louder hence it has a louder fart :(
Anyone know off any centre exit exhaust that doesn’t fart?

I have the akrapovic exhaust and it farts pretty loud between shifts. I love the sound of turbos, wastegates, blowoffs, and the ocassional burble, but I'm not a fan of the fart.

Also the fart is the only thing that seems to come across on camera and in videos. Every time I watch a 4c on youtube I think that people who dont own one must think it sounds like shit.

Little do they know how loud the turbo is behind you. Its intoxicating...

·
Super Moderator
4C SE, Giulietta Vel, 147, Sud, Guzzi 1100 Sport, Guzzi Le Mans MkV
12,599 Posts
The Akra exhaust sounds like my car in all aspects. Except that mine is louder hence it has a louder fart :(
Anyone know off any centre exit exhaust that doesn’t fart?
@Gilles27 does your 4C fart or bark with the Magnaflow Stradale or have you the Corsa….Sorry, it’s been a while.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I believe the reason for the farts is simply how the engine and TCT (or any other DCT) operates. Between shifts the engine cuts spark so it doesn't keep revving (similar to how you let off the gas when shifting a traditional manual, but WAY faster and only on ignition timing).

On the next stroke, you have unburnt mixture hitting the hot exhaust which ignites causing the "fart." The type of exhaust / muffler combination will affect the outgoing volume, but the farts will always be there.

You might be able to have a local tuner craft a bench tune that plays with ignition timing, but that seems counterproductive to what the Alfa engineers came up with.

You could let off the gas, shift to the next gear, and get back on the throttle to lessen the fart. That being said... I love my catless + Corsa violent farts. :p

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Drive it in A mode - it won’t fart…
It won’t have much torque or power either… the turbo won’t be delivering the air and therefore the farts will be subdued as the combustion won’t happen in the hot exhaust.
Lifting off the throttle for a second while you shift will also do away with the farts, but it dumps all turbo boost and slows progress down your favourite twisty road.
All cars with DSG/DCT’s will fart to some extent on high throttle settings, this is because the power delivery is not interrupted while you swap gears.
Maybe you bought the wrong car if you want it to be more like a BMW 😂.

·
Registered
2018 4C Coupe
78 Posts
Im not sure it’s 100% related to the exhaust

I had a Giulia QV and it also farted when shifting

I chalked it up to Alfa using a certain style of turbo blow off valve / bypass valve

most turbo cars when you let off the throttle have that turbo bypass PPSSHHH
Some valves sound like a whistle
Some sound like a woosh
I just thought Alfas sounded like a fart

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I had a 2017 QV with standard exhaust and in race mode or any other modes I’ve never noticed it farting. I feel the QV barks more which is what I prefer. Maybe I’m having hearing issues haha

Im not sure it’s 100% related to the exhaust

I had a Giulia QV and it also farted when shifting

I chalked it up to Alfa using a certain style of turbo blow off valve / bypass valve

most turbo cars when you let off the throttle have that turbo bypass PPSSHHH
Some valves sound like a whistle
Some sound like a woosh
I just thought Alfas sounded like a fart

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,836 Posts
Do you leave it in Auto shift mode most of the time? Try in Manual shift mode and see if any difference. I still have the Race exhaust and mostly drive in Manual shift mode....never had an issue with the sound ;-) All those ALFA 4C sounds are what make it so enduring. Heck I even enjoy the pebbles bouncing off th wheel liners....nothing like a shift down manually at higher speed to raise the hair on the back of my neck.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Do you leave it in Auto shift mode most of the time? Try in Manual shift mode and see if any difference. I still have the Race exhaust and mostly drive in Manual shift mode....never had an issue with the sound ;-) All those ALFA 4C sounds are what make it so enduring. Heck I even enjoy the pebbles bouncing off th wheel liners....nothing like a shift down manually at higher speed to raise the hair on the back of my neck.
Interesting… in auto It does fart but in manual mode it’s more of a thud which I prefer. I’ve got to say today is the first time I’ve driven it in manual mode and it’s so much better to drive. I am trying to understand why in auto it farts so loud while in manual it decent. Anyone?
Also, maybe it’s me but somehow in Dynamic mode the car sounds louder when I’m driving normally compared to N mode. Am I hearing things?

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,836 Posts
Interesting… in auto It does fart but in manual mode it’s more of a thud which I prefer. I’ve got to say today is the first time I’ve driven it in manual mode and it’s so much better to drive. I am trying to understand why in auto it farts so loud while in manual it decent. Anyone?
Also, maybe it’s me but somehow in Dynamic mode the car sounds louder when I’m driving normally compared to N mode. Am I hearing things?
D mode is more agressive in shfts and will hold a lower gearer longer before shifting if you are in Auto shift mode so that would mean it would be louder. You can see that if you put it in Normal mode and drive around letting it shift....now put it in D mode and you will note the change in shifting as it holds off on the up gear change.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
D mode is more agressive in shfts and will hold a lower gearer longer before shifting if you are in Auto shift mode so that would mean it would be louder. You can see that if you put it in Normal mode and drive around letting it shift....now put it in D mode and you will note the change in shifting as it holds off on the up gear change.
Hmm. But when I shift manually at high rpm there’s no fart sound, unless my ears are playing up on me again 🤔

·
Registered
279 Posts
I was told by an Alfisti that the reason the 4C farts is Alfa tuned the car to reduce power slightly as the DCT changes gear. The purpose was to increase the life of the clutch/gear box but it alters the way exhaust leaves the turbos hence the farting noise. This makes sense.

I, too, had an M3 prior to my 4C. I had an E92 (the high revving NA V8). With the right exhaust that car sounded phenomenal, but you had to have the windows down and it really helped to be under an overpass. There's so much insulation that you're really disconnected... couldn't be more different than the 4C.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I was told by an Alfisti that the reason the 4C farts is Alfa tuned the car to reduce power slightly as the DCT changes gear. The purpose was to increase the life of the clutch/gear box but it alters the way exhaust leaves the turbos hence the farting noise. This makes sense.

I, too, had an M3 prior to my 4C. I had an E92 (the high revving NA V8). With the right exhaust that car sounded phenomenal, but you had to have the windows down and it really helped to be under an overpass. There's so much insulation that you're really disconnected... couldn't be more different than the 4C.

Makes sense, since the box is running on max specs it could 'officially' handle :unsure:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

Thanks for the info. The giulia Qv that I had sounds amazing and in race mode it was perfect. I have driven a few e92 m3 and some with superchargers and some with maesterchaft exhaust. Imho, It didn’t work for me. My current f80 sounds even shittier and the g80 is the same artificial shit sounding bmw. Not saying the 4c sounds amazing but at least the sound is real :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
@Gilles27 does your 4C fart or bark with the Magnaflow Stradale or have you the Corsa….Sorry, it’s been a while.
Sorry Jim
After several weeks I just scrolled through this thread.
Mine is the corsa with down pipe.
It barks instead of farts. It is loud and I love the aggressive character notes.
Used to fart more with oem race exhaust but honestly it is not an Alfa without the farts.
Come on @Avelian appreciate your beast for what she is. We can get hearing aids in our old age😂

21 - 40 of 48 Posts