Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Spider RC/Tobacco
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rumor of new V6 hybrid entry level Ferrari based on Maserati MC20, which is reportedly based on the 4C tub.

This nugget seems new: “…the carbon-fiber monocoque MC20 platform has been designed from the beginning to accept a battery-electric powertrain. Meaning motor mounts and wiring passages have been baked in from day one. A hybrid powertrain would be easy to implement in a platform designed for both gas and EV duties.”

We knew the 4C tub was designed for a future evolution but I don’t recall (and can’t imagine) electrification was in mind…

·
Registered
2020 Spider RC/Tobacco
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Johnny Lieberman claiming MC20 tub is all new, not derived from 4C.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Check the internet for the electric version (MC20 Folgore) and you’ll find more pictures of the chassis. It’s an evolution of the 4C for sure, and had to become the 6C at some point.

Not strange they put the price of the MC20 that high when they are looking to make a Ferrari out of it as well.
Again and again: ours was the steal of the century.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The MC20 tub is obviously derived from the 4C. Dallara had a hand in both cars. Maserati produced the 4C for Alfa. Heck, the cars even share a windshield wiper assembly. It's not a surprise that Maserati would try to distance the MC20, a $250k car, from the humble 4C.

When the MC12/Enzo were developed, the companies shared a corporate parent, but Ferrari has been independent since 2015. While Ferrari still builds engines for Maserati and Alfa, there is no platform sharing. The Maserati designed Netuno engine will only be used in Maseratis. There is a possibility that it might show up in other Stellantis marques, but not in a Ferrari.

I don't see Ferrari badge engineering the MC20 to do a hybrid mid engine entry-level car. Are they really going to give the entry level car cool ass doors? Nope. The Portofino and the Roma are the entry level models to new Ferrari ownership and happen to be priced about the same as the MC20. While I don't care for the Portofino, the Roma is legit nice.

I have watched a few reviews of the MC20 from European YouTubers. It sounds like a good balance between comfort and sporting ability -- very much on point for a Maserati. I will probably pick up a used MC20 after it has undergone Maserati's trademark free-fall depreciation.

·
Registered
2020 Spider RC/Tobacco
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Maserati designed Netuno engine will only be used in Maseratis. There is a possibility that it might show up in other Stellantis marques, but not in a Ferrari.

I don't see Ferrari badge engineering the MC20 to do a hybrid mid engine entry-level car. Are they really going to give the entry level car cool ass doors? Nope. The Portofino and the Roma are the entry level models to new Ferrari ownership and happen to be priced about the same as the MC20. While I don't care for the Portofino, the Roma is legit nice.
that was my assumption too but Motor Trend and insiders claiming to scoop otherwise.

is the Roma ready for electric? I would imagine so but if not Ferrari will need a new entry level platform.

I’m the other way around: I like the Portofino and think the Roma looks like an Aston Martin.

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
that was my assumption too but Motor Trend and insiders claiming to scoop otherwise.

is the Roma ready for electric? I would imagine so but if not Ferrari will need a new entry level platform.

I’m the other way around: I like the Portofino and think the Roma looks like a Aston Martin.
I’m with you on this. I like the Portofino. Roma is a bit too Aston-like but also the Roma interior looks like a digital nightmare IMHO.

Frank Stephenson aggressively denies the Aston thing though, arguing that the Roma is descendent from the Ferrari GTs of the 60s (and basically implying Aston copied that Ferrari language).

I know we have some on here that aren’t fans of Frank but I typically enjoy his videos. It’s interesting to get a designers perspective on this stuff. I’ve certainly learned a bit about car design from his channel. I highly recommend his Cybertruck video (it basically affirms everything I dislike about Tesla 😂).

Reactions: borocouncilman

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The Roma is just the Maserati Alfieri that never came to the market. Why would it have such a different styling from the rest??
And in return Maserati got the 6C, and Alfa Romeo... well, they got nothing. Confirmed to me by Maserati dealer.
The California also was a Maserati (making the Portofino still one as well...). The internal production code was even an M and not an F. Would have been a 3 seater, not a 2+2.

It's not because Ferrari did an IPO that they are not heavily connected to the FCA/Stellantis group.
The Giulia Q was developed by the same engineer as the 456 Speciale.
The Giulia Quadriofoglio got a V6 being a short version of the California V8.
Now the MC20 has that same V6 (though they say not) but with precombustion chambers.
And now that same engine is coming back to Ferrari, where it will be put to its full potential.
Being Ferrari, they will be able to ask more money than Maserati, even without butterfly doors.

There is much more going on behind the scenes than they tell out in the open!
I remember I had a discussion about my Maserati dealer quote back in the days, but now a year later, all things he said have come out, so I dare to assume the Alfieri story is right as well...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Again and again: ours was the steal of the century.
I think it's pretty obvious the MC-20 started life as an Alfa 6C(or 8C?).... the tub is a modified/elongated 4C tub, and the Nettuno V6 in the MC-20 (based off the F154), has way too much in common with the QV engine (6-cyl, cylinder firing order). (From what i've read, Maserati did add some additional tech like the pre-chamber stuff..... and turned the V6 into the highest performing V6 per-litre.)

I wish Alfa would have been allowed to use the MC-20 'platform' with a QV engine for their own halo car (6C). I wonder how much it would have costed if it were an Alfa?

I'm still bitter about Manly gutting Alfa's comeback. Whats frustrating about it all, is that Alfa doesn't have a sports car on sale today, and no plans to offer one in the near-future as well apparently. All we have to look forward to are SUVs and sedans..... and most likely rebadged Peugeots at that. Even Fiat/Abarth have the 124 spider. sigh

PS>>Also agreed about the Roma probably starting life as the Maserati Alfieri.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,129 Posts
I'm still bitter about Manly gutting Alfa's comeback. What's frustrating about it all, is that Alfa doesn't have a sports car on sale today, and no plans to offer one in the near-future as well apparently. All we have to look forward to are SUVs and sedans..... and most likely rebadged Peugeots at that. Even Fiat/Abarth have the 124 spider. sigh

PS>>Also agreed about the Roma probably starting life as the Maserati Alfieri.
I think the Abarth 124 spider is no more...at least in the US.

·
Super Moderator
16,754 Posts
The Alfieri, which previewed in Geneva in March 2014 looks remarkably like the Roma that made it's first appearance in 2019.
There were whispers from those who claimed to be "in the know" (ownership of the large Alfa/Maser/Ferrari dealership here, and others in Europe and North America) in 2014 that the Alfieri was to spawn a 6C, and back then the Alfa product plan supported that notion (another specialty car being one of the 8 new models which Sergio had promised us by 2018). But even Maserati had pushed production of that platform off to MY 2022 eventually. That made no sense for a car that was probably designed in 2012, so re-working it as a Ferrari had legs. Bringing it in as an Alfa-only car was likely too expensive, especially as Alfa Romeo had more or less committed to the Georgio platform for new cars going forward.

Doubt that anyone outside of the factories and design teams can tell us for sure whether the tub is the same between the 4C and MC20. I would suspect that the newer car is developed from our tub, perhaps even using the molds, but likely re-engineered somewhat to accommodate larger forces from the more powerful, longer car. No automotive "journalist" is going to bother researching that, when they need only speculate. Truth is the first casualty of the internet! Some day, the question will be asked of the right people, and then perhaps we will know for sure.

Given the merger, it's really hard to see how the dust will settle around the brands. There has been positive talk about commitments to both Alfa and Maser. But the realities of business, especially in these unprecedented times and on the precipice of an electric revolution make me wonder how much of that talk is intended to appease stakeholders, vs what might truly come to pass.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is it just me, or does the Maserati look aesthetically better than the Ferrari (ducks for cover)?

Given the merger, it's really hard to see how the dust will settle around the brands. There has been positive talk about commitments to both Alfa and Maser. But the realities of business, especially in these unprecedented times and on the precipice of an electric revolution make me wonder how much of that talk is intended to appease stakeholders, vs what might truly come to pass.
I've vented a little too much about the changes over on the Giulia forum so I'll try and keep it short...
-"Merger" seems like a euphemism for "Takeover"
-What do the new CEO of Alfa Romeo (Jean-Philippe Imparato), the new Head of Alfa Design(Alejandro Mesonero-Romanos ), the new Head of Alfa Romeo North America (Larry Dominique)....all have in common?
-They have "shelved"(and i emphasize the quotes) plans to reintroduce Peugeot in N.America
-They have already started winging about the Giorgio platform

As @4C-ophe mentioned "steal of the century"..... imagine a sedan designed & engineered by guys from Ferrari for the price of a BMW.

Doesn't take a genius to figure out where this is probably going, but i'm hoping against hope i'm wrong.

Sources:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I hope the company who made that big offer for Lamborghini finally buys Maserati and Alfa Romeo out of Stelantis and makes them the proud Italian marques they once were.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Like crypto; Its not too late !
And imho, if you want to do it over again, buy an Alpine A110 (if it comes to your market). Pedigree. One-run (successor will be electric). 2/3th the price of an Emira or Cayman (€55-60k). Compared to an Evora GT4 costing twice the money (see Harry’s Garage)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts