Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FCA and Renault look almost certain to merge.

Will make it the world's no.3 carmaker, with almost US$200b of revenue.

The companies are saying there will be no factory closures, but speculation is already swirling that Alfa and Maserati could be cut loose.

Will probably also hasten Peugeot's long-rumoured takeover of Jaguar Land Rover.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48420334

·
Super Moderator
7,282 Posts
Marchionne must be turning in his grave and I feel I might be too, and I’m not dead yet, touch wood. If Alfa is set free is that code for being swallowed up by VW? Noooooooooooo!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Or a Chinese car company. They seem eager to swallow up any manufacturer up for sale. They already bought Lotus, Volvo and tried to buy Hummer and SAAB.
I hope Alfa stays in Italian hands.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Alfa isn't in Italian hands.. It's in the hands of an American-Italian company residing in the Netherlands...

But don't forget Renault has been in Formula 1 for year (imagine Alfa getting back with an own car, and not just a badge on an old Ferrari).
They own parts of Nissan and the other way around. Thinking GTR and Zs...
An Renault revived the Alpine brand very succesfully. Already sold over 5000 A110s.

Imagine a combined model for Alpine and Alfa. A lightweight aluminium successor to the 4C. An true Alfa Spider like the old day e.g.
On the other hand, that Alpine could be the main reason for Alfa no longer getting a small sports car.

And even if they sell it to the chinese. I'd rather have a chinese financed, Lotus-rivalling, 'Italian' beauty than a SUV with a bit of panache...

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Imagine a new, bigger company better positioned to compete and make electric cars and SUVs.

The rest is fantasy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
maybe not the badest Evolution (something WILL Change anyway in the futere of the Company, FCA is not big enough, isn't it?)...

Renault has F1 and other race history and Passion, and is very good positioned in the EV Business. The new Company would probably (hopefully) be big enough for the futer in the car Business...

Let's just hope that the "italianita" of our specific cars can be preserved...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Or a Chinese car company. They seem eager to swallow up any manufacturer up for sale. They already bought Lotus, Volvo and tried to buy Hummer and SAAB.
I hope Alfa stays in Italian hands.

a Chinese company could probably be a good solution, too. They are top in the EV Business, it's a big market, and look at the example of Volvo: they preserved the brand, even focussed and sharpend it, and allowed an individual and new evolution of the brand; I never will drive a Volvo, but look at the fleet!, not bad, isn't it? In my opinion, the experiences are much better than with some US companies formerly (see Saab, Volvo...)

but deep in my heart, I also wish Alfa (at least) stays really italian!!! Cuore sportivo, la mecchanica delle emozioni

·
Registered
836 Posts
Let's not forget the very ancient origins of the brand...yes, French by the hands of frenchman Alexandre Darracq.

This being said, i'm sure the synergies will start with the Fiat Professional part of the group, maybe also Abarth.

·
Super Moderator
15,172 Posts
finally, there are also other rumors...
That was a year ago. Marchionne was still alive. He was a big proponent for joint ventures in the industry. But I doubt he would approve of a merger.

Renault has F1 roots, yes. Just ask Daniel Ricciardo how successful that has been for him in the last two years! >:)

I certainly hope that, if true and if it happens, FCA gets a better deal than Nissan did. I don't know the inside scoop but Japan definitely got he bad side of that deal!

Renault and Nissan (and Mitsubishi, which is also entangled there) are still 3 separate entities and are run as such (with some parts bin sharing and financial arrangements). But despite talk after Goshn's ouster, I don't think that this triumverate is going to be broken up.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Wonder if Ghosn came up with this Renault-FCA merger idea while in his Tokyo prison cell:wink2:
So the consensus on this forum in terms of brand heritage is French > Chinese > Japanese > German.
Because German = logic over passion and that will kill the core of what Alfa is about.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Sergio pushed multiple full-on mergers of FCA with other companies during his tenure. He really made a big push for a merger with GM in 2015, for one. I think he'd be all for this as long as he'd still be in charge :).

·
Registered
970 Posts
Sergio pushed multiple full-on mergers of FCA with other companies during his tenure. He really made a big push for a merger with GM in 2015, for one. I think he'd be all for this as long as he'd still be in charge :).
...reminiscent of a story I once heard about one "Enzo Ferrari" in the Ford Era days >:)

·
Registered
654 Posts
I don't see anything good happens for the sports cars with FCA/Renault Nissan merger.
I guess the question who will swallow who....

·
4C-Forums.com Vendor
816 Posts
I would be all for Geely grabbing Alfa Romeo. They are a hands off company, allowing designers/engineers to continue the spirit of the vehicle while upping build quality and improving electronics. The spirit of the car would be preserved. I cannot say the same for VW. Geely is also very open to having production plants in Europe and the US.

I would prefer for Alfa Romeo to stay where it is today but if there is a buy-out it would be a great brand for Geely.

·
Super Moderator
15,172 Posts
I would be all for Geely grabbing Alfa Romeo. They are a hands off company, allowing designers/engineers to continue the spirit of the vehicle while upping build quality and improving electronics. The spirit of the car would be preserved. I cannot say the same for VW. Geely is also very open to having production plants in Europe and the US.

I would prefer for Alfa Romeo to stay where it is today but if there is a buy-out it would be a great brand for Geely.
I think that Geely wanted distribution from the Volvo deal. A beachhead for a future assault, perhaps. That's not Alfa, run out of the back door of FIAT stores!

Lotus was perhaps bought for technology transfer. I didn't see that one coming, and still don't understand it.

Alfa seems too intertwined with FCA to spin off right now. The sunk costs for plant and tooling, engines, design, aren't recovered. I guess that everything has a price, but when you look at what Geely paid for Volvo, you get the impression that they are looking for distress-sales. This does not currently describe Alfa Romeo (maybe for the first time in recent history!), and to spin Alfa off would require a decent return on the investment by FCA and its shareholders in the last 4 years. My guess is that isn't going to happen with such a buyer.

GAC is the other big Chinese concern right now but I suspect that they aren't interested at market price either.

VAG is still suffering its own cash and share price crisis post "diesel-gate" so likely does not have pockets deep enough either. GM had long refused Marchionne any prospect of cooperation. Ford is getting out of the car business and already has enough SUV's. That kind of leaves the French / Japanese / Koreans.

I suspect that Philster is right in that FCA has kind of missed the electrification bandwagon and is caught somewhat on the back foot right now. Do they develop the tech in-house, buy someone who is already good at it, or merge to try to get the best of both worlds? Big stakes in that game!!!

EDIT: Now, if Tesla shares started trading at what the company should be worth, instead of their current aspirational value, well, "problem solved". :grin2:

But this is about a corporate-wide merger, not a spin off of the Alfa brand.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts