Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently been experiencing an issue where if I top off at the pump, the car will struggle to start when I first try to crank it -- it sounds as if the engine is flooded or something. Funny thing is, after the first attempt, the 2nd attempt will fire up just fine, especially if I give it throttle. :unsure:

Now when I do a partial fill, there is no problem starting. Only when I top off (I fill till the nozzle clicks itself off) does the problem happen. I never try to overfill or round up the tank.

The 4C hasn't stranded me at the pump yet, but I feel like the problem might be getting worse. I've been getting P0456 (very small evap leak) from time to time when I start the car (doesn't matter if I'm at the pump or not).

Could it be the charcoal canister or purge valve?

Car has 41k miles, 3k I've put on myself. Previous owner claims he didn't have this problem and only filled up at Shell.

Anyway, it's somewhat embarrassing when the gas attendant comes over and says "cool car"...only to hear me struggle to start the car seconds later. :ROFLMAO:

I'm reluctant to go to the dealer here in Atlanta and would rather solve this issue myself.
Anyone have any pointers?

EDIT: Added Video

The issue happens at 1:02.

·
Super Moderator
7,032 Posts
Just to confirm, you‘ve kept your foot away from the accelerator pedal before and on start up. You should not pump the pedal, nor need to.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I always top up whenever i go to the pump (more often than i would like ?) and never had any trouble starting the car.

Make sure the brake pedal is pressed with “heart”.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Doing some Googling, that symptom and code have been related on other vehicles. Could be a few causes, however, without additional testing (might be fun to do a smoke test)...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry guys, I've been on a bit of a vacation and the car isn't being driven as much. I'll have chances to experiment this week.

Maybe I need to put the gas nozzle deeper into the fill neck? :unsure:

Just to confirm, you‘ve kept your foot away from the accelerator pedal before and on start up. You should not pump the pedal, nor need to.
I usually turn the key to the first position, wait for the seatbelt chime to finish deafening me, push hard on the brake pedal, and crank the car. I have to hold the key until it truly starts. Maybe I can capture this on video next time I fill up.

Make sure the brake pedal is pressed with “heart”.
Oh it is -- Pushed as if the car needs to stop from 130 to 30 before an apex. :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,126 Posts
I always fill my car until it clicks off itself and never any issues. I never step on the gas when starting the car....that could be an issue if you do that as it may confuse the computer which is actually working the throttle....it is drive by wire not mechanical linkage . Do you check to see if gas is leaking out of the overflow. Perhaps gas is backing out from overfilling a bit and into the overflow area which is designed to trap vapors but not gasoline? Do you have the same issue at other stations or do you always fill up at the same location/pump? Finally...as the car gets close to full, let off on the dispenser trigger so it isn't flowing so hard. In any case this is the first I have heard of this.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...I never step on the gas when starting the car....that could be an issue if you do that as it may confuse the computer which is actually working the throttle....it is drive by wire not mechanical linkage . Do you check to see if gas is leaking out of the overflow. Perhaps gas is backing out from overfilling a bit and into the overflow area which is designed to trap vapors but not gasoline? Do you have the same issue at other stations or do you always fill up at the same location/pump? Finally...as the car gets close to full, let off on the dispenser trigger so it isn't flowing so hard. In any case this is the first I have heard of this.
I only step on the gas because the engine sounds like its struggling to stay alive on the 1st attempt to crank, adding throttle seems to help start it, but obviously not ideal... my buddy's 430 Scud requires similar "life-support" when starting, but I'm sure that's a separate issue. :ROFLMAO:

How do I check to see if gas is leaking out of the overflow? I'm having a hard time visualizing how the fuel whole system looks like.

So far it happens at any gas station, perhaps I'm not feeding the nozzle deep enough into the fill neck?
I'm going to try to fill up to near-full to check if the problem persists (doesn't happen if I do a conservative partial fill), and I'll try to capture all of it on video.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,126 Posts
I suspect if overfilled, the gas will go into the overflow tube and may hold it in a small breather/vapor capture area....that is the way it is on one of my other cars. I remember reading on my other car that you shouldn't top off once the nozzle clicks off or gas can get in there.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is the video as promised:

The issue happens at 1:02.

·
Super Moderator
7,032 Posts
Put your seatbelt on, turn the key to the first position with your foot on the brake, wait for the tachometer to do its thing then start immediately after that and see what happens. Just curious.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone know where the evap purge valve is for this car? I want to vacuum test it to see if it is stuck open and actuates when supplied voltage. I looked in the online service manual resources + rock auto and I haven't figured out the location nor the part number.

...then start immediately after that and see what happens. Just curious.
I will try that next time, unless the I determine the purge valve is the culprit.

·
Registered
683 Posts
You did put miles on that car dhuang. 41K miles and the paint still looks super good.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Anyone know where the evap purge valve is for this car? I want to vacuum test it to see if it is stuck open and actuates when supplied voltage. I looked in the online service manual resources + rock auto and I haven't figured out the location nor the part number.

I will try that next time, unless the I determine the purge valve is the culprit.

Is that what you are looking for: Alfa Romeo 4C Electro valve

Number 7

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is that what you are looking for: Alfa Romeo 4C Electro valve

Number 7
That might be it. Wow, these part diagrams are more thorough than Rock Auto's.

Gonna poke around later. Warranty expires tomorrow. :ROFLMAO:

You did put miles on that car dhuang. 41K miles and the paint still looks super good.
Previous owner put 38k himself, front end is PPF'd which helped. Windshield has seen a lot though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
not on my alfa, but my ford truck does the same thing.

normal starts are easy, but the first start after filling the tank is a HARD start.

much of my job has been to solve unusual problems on cars, and this one has me stumped. We have smoked it, pressure checked, no codes, no other issues. People at ford and other mechanics just reply that it should not be possible.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used a multimeter to test the electrical leads to the purge valve and it gets ~9V when the car starts up. Since I'm on vacation, I didn't have the tools to actually remove the valve and pressure check it, so I'll try again when I'm back.

The purge valve markings says it is a Bosch 0280142414 -- Trying to track down a Mopar part number.

At this point, I'm unsure if I should use my warranty for this problem or not... it expires tomorrow. :LOL:

(For those that are curious -- this is where the purge valve is located [against the green seal], easily accessible)

·
Super Moderator
7,032 Posts
Mate, I’d be calling ‘em today if it’s bothering you, which it obviously is. Get it on their books.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Yeah call them and get them to fix it. I did the same for my trunk. Milk that warranty until it’s last drop.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts