Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Basalt on Red Coupe, M3, ZHP
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Finally got my 2017 Basalt on red couple last night! Autobox Express transported car for me in an enclosed trailer for the 1500 mile journey to my garage. Would recommend them.
So I took my first drive, a 40 mile drive on well known back roads, though they weren't as open as I wanted them to be. Here are my impressions:
  • nice chassis, very rigid!
  • I have the race suspension- firmer than I expected, good!
  • POWER! Plenty of it for this chassis
  • transmission- not as good as say BMW DCT but still very much adequate
  • brakes- good initial bite, but stock pads will need to go (yes, ds2500)
  • streering- much slower ratio than expected. it does get very light at higher speeds. It does seem that the front end runs out of grip, but quick change in driving style and I was able to gain better confidence. I think the key is applying throttle earlier than apex, the car "steers" great under throttle!
  • tires- car came with like new Conti extreme contact sport, I dropped them to 26F and 29R, but I think I will drop few more psi
  • interior- I have the leather trimmed option. It's great quality. Love the cloth material on bolster apexes.
  • love digital cluster
  • akrapovich sounds great! Alpine what?

Overall I'm happy with the car in the very limited time I have behind the wheel. I got exactly what I wanted in terms of options and condition! It BREAKS NECKS left and right.

Questions for the group:
  • oil is cristal clear on the dip stick but I have no records to prove it's been changed. I know the selling dealer didnt so it must have been the PO shortly before trade in. The problem is the service indicator light comes on and prompts oil change. What do you say- reset the oil service life now and do my own oil change in 3k miles?
  • tin metal pinging sound on deceleration off throttle- heat shield loose somewhere?

Fire away!

·
Registered
2017 Basalt on Red Coupe, M3, ZHP
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So "interogated" the selling dealer abit. Turns out they did an oil change as mandatory requirement on every used car they sell. At least they used a quality oil- Castrol 5w40. I will reset the oil service indicator

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
I thought the same about the steering ratio.
I thought the opposite about how it steers under throttle but maybe this is about driving styles.
I have no idea what Basalt/Red looks like on a 4C but I’m happy you are happy.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I thought the same about the steering ratio.
I thought the opposite about how it steers under throttle but maybe this is about driving styles.
I have no idea what Basalt/Red looks like on a 4C but I’m happy you are happy.
I found the steering and 'lightness' at speed very similar to the older air cooled 911.
As for the Basalt on Red....It took me longer to get that combo than the Italia lol.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
To critics of the steering ratio:

It's a manual steering rack; it can't be quick ratio, or you'd never be able to turn the wheel. It's only possible to drive because of gear reduction (slows the ratio to make it more manageable). Remove the gear reduction for quick-ratio steering and you'd last 10 minutes... tops.

Welcome!

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Nah, it’s light because it’s a rear heavy mid engine car and easy to steer unassisted. They chose the ratio to reduce turn in and stop losers darting into hedges or up curbs. Another nanny setup choice to prevent the average poser crashing. It needs to be quicker than it is to drive properly with hands at 9/3 on the wheel. A quick rack is on my list.
If your physical strength is at the limit steering a standard 4C, you must be weak.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Nah, it’s light because it’s a rear heavy mid engine car and easy to steer unassisted. They chose the ratio to reduce turn in and stop losers darting into hedges or up curbs. Another nanny setup choice to prevent the average poser crashing. It needs to be quicker than it is to drive properly with hands at 9/3 on the wheel. A quick rack is on my list.
If your physical strength is at the limit steering a standard 4C, you must be weak.
Pedal uphill in 12th gear and we can entertain a discussion.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Steering Lock-to-Lock

Ariel Atom 2.0
Alfa Romoe 4c 2.7
Lotius Elise 2.4
Early Miata 2.7
1972 Porsche 911 RS 2.83
Porsche 914 2.75
Golf MKI 3.5
Toyota MR2 2.75
Mclaren F1 2.80

Notes:
Bigger cars from 70's and 60's are all well into the 3.5+ range to reduce effort.
Smaller steering wheels reduce leverage.
Tire contact patch matters.
The 4C is light relative to modern GT type cars, but not very much so historically amongst true light sports cars.
Ferrari has hyperboosted power steering with the most advance vehicle control dynamics to manage the chaos it brings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts