Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
There is nothing special you need to do to wash the Spider that is different from any other car.

·
Administrator
17,625 Posts
Since we have a professional detailer (or a few, I think) on the board, we have some good information here already...

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I have a coupe and throw and old sheet over the engine (inside) before washing. Someone down-under recommended this.

Have you got full PPF, it stops swirls and damage to the clearcoat.

·
Registered
918 Posts
You guys do realize the engine isn't going to melt from some water, right? :D

Reactions: decatur

·
Registered
918 Posts
It’s not the engine I’m worried about. Rewiring a rusted out relay in my Guzzi tells me Italian electrics (any electrics actually) and water don’t mix well.
You can get that from just humidity in the air. There is only one reason to protect the engine from water when washing it... To keep water spots off the engine area if you have recently cleaned it up and used engine dressing everywhere. Other than that, water from washing is not going to do any more harm than nature.

Reactions: HeavyFoot

·
Super Moderator
10,415 Posts
You can get that from just humidity in the air. There is only one reason to protect the engine from water when washing it... To keep water spots off the engine area if you have recently cleaned it up and used engine dressing everywhere. Other than that, water from washing is not going to do any more harm than nature.
Here’s Docrons’ thread on his TCM issue of a few years ago linked below.
Noted corrosion on some connectors.

Using towels under the vents to stop water dripping onto electrical bits can only help. When you’re washing your car the engine isn’t hot and the water isn’t being quickly evaporated off.
I made a challenge a few years ago compare how those who wash their cars without towels fare in avoiding electrical gremlins against those who do, after ten years of ownership. We’ve passed the half-way point.
I also make a point of trying to avoid rain but that’s not always possible, as our upcoming tour will probably demonstrate.

(MAYBE) Diagnosis of TCM Voltage Irregularity!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
918 Posts
Here’s Docrons’ thread on his TCM issue of a few years ago linked below.
Noted corrosion on some connectors.
That a big leap without any real scientific methodology. The cars are designed to get wet. They aren't going to melt. If water really did cause that specific damage, at least 50% of the forum would have experience the exact same failure.

I'm not opposed to those who don't want to drive their cars in the rain and want to avoid getting their engine wet (as silly as it is); but I at least don't want to spread information which doesn't have enough data behind it (yet) on damage it has caused.

There are other ways moisture can cause problems outside of washing the car. Humidity and seascapes can also cause moisture concerns regardless if you allow the engine to get wet or not when washing.

·
Super Moderator
10,415 Posts
As I said, I’ll do it my way, you do it yours and we’ll compare notes after the ten year mark….then the fifteen and the twenty.

Docron didn’t have the weather shield over the TCM. It looked like evidence of water getting into the connector. Covering the electricals, not engine as that already has a cover, has just been my way of obtaining some piece of mind. I’m not telling anyone what to do, just suggesting it’s something to think about.

·
Administrator
17,625 Posts
That a big leap without any real scientific methodology. The cars are designed to get wet. They aren't going to melt. If water really did cause that specific damage, at least 50% of the forum would have experience the exact same failure.

I'm not opposed to those who don't want to drive their cars in the rain and want to avoid getting their engine wet (as silly as it is); but I at least don't want to spread information which doesn't have enough data behind it (yet) on damage it has caused.

There are other ways moisture can cause problems outside of washing the car. Humidity and seascapes can also cause moisture concerns regardless if you allow the engine to get wet or not when washing.
Alfa itself added the water shield on these sometime in the 2016 model year - so cars built after that (at least N. American coupes - I cannot speak for spiders or other markets) would be less likely to have this particular problem. But that is enough evidence that there is a potential issue for me not to consider it "silly" at least for early cars.

My LE has no shield, my 2016 SE has it. But I don't wash either with a towel inside the engine bay. Perhaps I should, but I never remember. I also do not wash with a pressure washer, so less chance of water intrusion.

I get that cars are made to get wet, but water and Italian electronics are not the best cocktail. Forewarned is fore-armed, and we'll all do as we please.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts