Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
17,564 Posts
View attachment 123211
I look forward to a comparison. Never hand washed. Only washed this way. Three years after delivery, it still looks like the day I got it.
I could have sworn that yours was originally red! :D :p:ROFLMAO:

All kidding aside, I realize that you know what you are doing with that car wash. Not sure that we all have the same confidence in our local ones, though.

I've done a gentle wand wash with my LE, but fear that any mechanical ones might lift the PPF.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
As I said, I’ll do it my way, you do it yours and we’ll compare notes after the ten year mark….then the fifteen and the twenty.

Docron didn’t have the weather shield over the TCM. It looked like evidence of water getting into the connector. Covering the electricals, not engine as that already has a cover, has just been my way of obtaining some piece of mind. I’m not telling anyone what to do, just suggesting it’s something to think about.
Interesting conversation here between a spider owner after having his car fixed and the garage

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Water always wins. It's the universal solvent. Less water = better.

It's a spectrum though, and the 4C is probably on the spectrum with other things that are water resistant, but not water resistant enough. There is definitely more top down dripping onto connectors, and some connectors/parts get more drip down vs anything I have ever owned, including boats.

I want to know though: Who is blasting water across the rear cover glass anyway?

I sealed the rear quarter panels/wings seams with marine sealant tape from the inside, and covered anything I could see with electrical connector coating, and any connections where I can reach and not spray, I use my finger to spread dialectric grease, which is not just for battery terminals ya know. I have used silicone spray for decades, so that gets blasted all over, too.

I have the unshielded TCM; I had some TCM issues; I could see water dripping from the seams down into that area; I sealed up the seams and coated everything, and I sleep better.

Others measure HP, top speeds or drag runs; I measure up time.

I say it all the time, but I learned it from saltwater boating. Time and time again, over decades, the number of clowns that never got their boats off the trailer or out of the marina is staggering. Boats are not waterproof. Summer is short enough. Same deal with my RC hobbies. I was always running. Everyone else was missing the entire event chasing issues. Mariner life got 100x worse when electronics showed up. A non-electronic 2-stroke outboard will outlive all of us.

Of course, when I was running the explanation always was, "Must be nice to not have bad luck."

(Morning coffee, so just rambling here. Deal with it. Happy Thanksgiving, fellow Americanos!)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I throw towels over the engine, battery, etc before washing. It saves water spotting in the engine compartment.
I do this as well. I have hard water and cover the engine in towels for the very same reason.

However, some smart ass on this forum will say,”Might as well take out the engine before washing.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi Guys,

Only 5 and a bit more days of frantically checking every bloomin’ weather forecast site

Come Rain or Shine I’ll be there !!

3 positive sound here to mull over;

1. It will probably be the 1st time collectively as a convoy group we use each of the DNA Driving Modes

PS. As Martin succinctly put it: The ‘R’ Mode does not stand fir ‘Rain’

2. We’ll all most likely going to be driving well under the S/Limit…that will be a FIRST

3. You will make Mr Mahjik from the Forum a very happy man Jim…noted your recent Stoush….seemed to have a bit of Frank Sinatra about it

Catch you guys soon…enjoy rest of the Weekend

·
Super Moderator
10,363 Posts
Hi Guys,

Only 5 and a bit more days of frantically checking every bloomin’ weather forecast site

Come Rain or Shine I’ll be there !!

3 positive sound here to mull over;

1. It will probably be the 1st time collectively as a convoy group we use each of the DNA Driving Modes

PS. As Martin succinctly put it: The ‘R’ Mode does not stand fir ‘Rain’

2. We’ll all most likely going to be driving well under the S/Limit…that will be a FIRST

3. You will make Mr Mahjik from the Forum a very happy man Jim…noted your recent Stoush….seemed to have a bit of Frank Sinatra about it

Catch you guys soon…enjoy rest of the Weekend

Off to the Airshow on Sunday, Ant.
Cipsony’s rear side skirts will come in handy I think. It should make Rosie a better hydroplane. As for waiting for scientific evidence…by that time it’ll be too late. Much prefer Philsters boaty experience to avoid the enevitable effect of moisture. I’m keen but years of riding down to Philip Island and back for the 500GP, MotoGP and Supers in the wet has left me jaded. A little rain I’ll take but floodwater over the road is a bit much for me. Hoping it doesn’t reach that stage but Wednesday will be telling. I’m up to Port on Monday then back Tuesday (I was going for 5days. Gotta check over my unit for the holiday season) as there is heavy rain expected on Wednesday and I don’t want to be trapped up there by rising floodwater with the drive coming up on Friday.
Not bothering to wash Rosie before the trip. She’ll get water-blasted enough over next weekend. Will keep a few towels handy, but…😉😁

·
Registered
892 Posts
As for waiting for scientific evidence…by that time it’ll be too late.
The 2015's have been running around for 6 years now. If it were a problem, we'd all know by now as not every single of one of them is protected 24/7 from water droplets. The forum would have regular visitors seeking advice for TCM issues. Even if it shows up in 10 years, it will be hard to correlate that to it "getting wet". After a certain time and mileage, there is an expectation that things will fail. Nothing lasts forever.

·
Registered
gtv6 3.0, Stelvio Ti
329 Posts
I wouldn’t take my black spider through the automatic wash. Black just shows too much with swirls or scratches. If I had a white car and drove it a lot, I might take it to a good automatic wash and wouldn’t bother with PPF and ceramic for a daily except the halo and windshield frame, maybe mirrors. I would dry it myself though with my own clean towels. The solvents that get used in the auto wash are pretty harsh especially wheel cleaners.

I live in a “green” apt building and have no hose access. Griots Garage no rinse wash formula works well, two buckets, an old boars hair brush to loosen anything, big soft microfiber towels just drag across the surface to wash and dry. Very little water gets into the vents. Might go buy an electric leaf blower to blow off the water. Car has PPF on front and doors and is ceramic coated so it is well protected and cleans fast and easy. I won’t put the 4C away for the winter but have all season tires on now.

My black Stelvio goes through the auto wash and it shows. It looks good for a NJ daily driver and in mid-winter it is too much trouble to wash by hand. Friggen cold and salt everywhere. Milano goes through the automatic wash, it has good sealant on top of the original clear coat to sacrifice. GTV6 is 40-yr old original single stage paint so it gets hand wash.

·
Registered
361 Posts
When you are spraying the water onto the rear glass and engine vents. Stand next to the doors and spray to the rear, with the stream of water running almost pararell with the window & engine vent. You will get very little water into the engine bay. And you need very little water sprayed there anyway.
Don't spray directly at the vent, at a 90 degree angle.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts