Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I figured i would try to take at the inside of the subframe rail carbon connection points and see if there is any cracking and damage there. Did find what looks to be some kind of cracking or damage? Perhaps this could just be marks from manufacturing where the tub was vaccum sealed? I did happen to find pieces of the vaccum seal bag they used stuck in the carbon in various places. Would anyone be willing to pull out the storage compartment (4 hex screws i believe) and snap a few photos of the drivers side next to the fuel tank? I would like to know if this is actual damage or just manufacturing related. See photos attached below.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That does not look like damage to me. Unfortunately I am no expert, so my opinion is probably not worth much.

I will have a closer look at that region of the car, since I was experiencing a loud rattle under load from behind my head before I put the car away for winter. But I don't think it will happen before April.

·
Premium Member
2018 4c and Stelvio
279 Posts
Those look like the cracks that are usually on the underside of the car, nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV
586 Posts
So I figured i would try to take at the inside of the subframe rail carbon connection points and see if there is any cracking and damage there. Did find what looks to be some kind of cracking or damage? Perhaps this could just be marks from manufacturing where the tub was vaccum sealed? I did happen to find pieces of the vaccum seal bag they used stuck in the carbon in various places. Would anyone be willing to pull out the storage compartment (4 hex screws i believe) and snap a few photos of the drivers side next to the fuel tank? I would like to know if this is actual damage or just manufacturing related. See photos attached below.

View attachment 114596 View attachment 114597 View attachment 114598 View attachment 114599
Can you circle where you see a crack? Apart from the cheap tape you can rip off if you care, it all looks perfect. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
876 Posts
What made you question if there were any cracks, etc. to be concerned about? All the ones I see in your pics are just natural flaws in the lamination process and vacuum bag wrinkles.

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV
586 Posts
Ah could hardly be a defect in the exact same spot and shape in several layers of carbon, so must be a bagging defect or an impurity got in; both have zero effect on the rigidity/performance of the tub in that area since it's resin. Fill it with epoxy if you care and forget about it, but the pictures are limiting... If you DO see the actual carbon layers are missing, bring immediately to the attention of a local dealer to submit an inquiry. That node-form is a strength feature and does get stressed, so avoid starting a crack over time. Still, that's a stretch since it would mean that tub might have several issues and wouldn't have shipped from Adler to the factory - quality control there also checks the Hertz of every tub and such a "hole"/mass loss might be wayyy outside of tolerances.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What made you question if there were any cracks, etc. to be concerned about? All the ones I see in your pics are just natural flaws in the lamination process and vacuum bag wrinkles.
This vehicle was hit in the front and rear, it is a further discussion on tub damage that i have not yet seen.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,825 Posts
You should have started out by mentioning it was in an accident. If you have concerns about possible damage you need to get it to a dealer and have a tech evaluate it and take photos that can be sent to ALFA to check out. I would not just do a "vote evaluation" to determine if you should worry about it or not. Also do NOT do anything as a temporary fix until it can be looked at.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For those who want information about carbon fiber inspection and defect, I suggest that you look some video from that guy:

Yes, it’s about carbon bike but the process is the same simply much thinner...

After seeing bike worth over 10k$ being cut with incredible defects, I'm not that concerned about our car. But that's a personal opinion!

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,825 Posts
For those who want information about carbon fiber inspection and defect, I suggest that you look some video from that guy:

Yes, it’s about carbon bike but the process is the same simply much thinner...

After seeing bike worth over 10k$ being cut with incredible defects, I'm not that concerned about our car. But that's a personal opinion!
As a licensed road bike racer for many years of my life, I have seen some of those CF bikes....some are OK but the problem with CF bikes is that when they fail it is a catastrophic failure. I will stick to my 1970-90s vintage steel Columbus butted tube bikes with lug construction. The people that built those knew what they were doing and knew they had to withstand some pretty rough treatment. The advantage in a car is that the material is much thicker and computers and testing will ensure there aren't voids or bad engineering.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts