Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

Looks like you have a pretty cool community here. I found you following @John4C's comments on BAT (and was runner up on the last grey coupe they had).

I'm in the process of acquiring a black 2017 Coupe!

A little bit about me: I love cars, I love driving, always have. I often joke that going for drives is the only thing that kept me sane during the pandemic, especially with young kids at home. I also started taking my car to the track a few months ago and loved it very much, planning to do more next year.

I daily drive a bimmer, a F36 440i xDrive which I very much love, and we drive the family around in a CX-5. I wanted a lightweight, RWD, mid-engined car that I could take on solo week-end drives or take to the track, without having extravagant running costs. Truth be told, I'd probably have bought an Alpine A110 if they were available in the US. While I understand that Porsche are fantastic, their design language does absolutely nothing to me, so a Cayman was out of the equation. In the end, the carbon fiber monocoque and general idea behind the 4C won.

Coming from Europe, I've always had a soft spot for Alfa Romeos. I think the 8C is the most beautiful car ever designed. I even considered a Giulia instead of the BMW a few years back.

I'd be curious to know where people in King County, WA recommend servicing their 4C. Alfa of Seattle? Alfa of Kirkland?

Needless to say, I can't wait to take delivery of the car, in the meantime, I'll drive it in Assetto Corsa!

·
Administrator
17,948 Posts
Welcome!

Hope to see pictures of your car soon. Meanwhile, we're at your service.

·
Registered
2018 Rosso Competizione 4C Spider, 2019 Rosso Competizione Giulia Quadrifoglio
139 Posts
Welcome to the community and we hope your ownership status starts soon.
I’d say that I hope you enjoy the driving experience, but really, there’s no “hoping” about that, it’s pure factual bliss.

Reactions: opportun

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Welcome! Always great to see new members coming to the forum. Congrats on the impending 4C purchase. Can't wait to get your impressions once you take delivery.

·
Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
1,183 Posts
Hello and welcome! I do most of my own service, but what I can't/won't do I have done at Prova Motorsports in Seattle. If I need dealer only work, I would go to Rairdons in Kirkland. I am not familiar with Seattle Alfa.
Chris at Prova is the best. Had him install the front suspension blocks and reset the alignment.

·
Administrator
17,948 Posts
smc4C - do you use any special lifts when you work on it? I'm looking for something safe.
Quick Jack (3000lb version will do) seems to be the forum favourite.
I have an EZCarlift, which is great, but the Quick Jack has undercut the US made competition in price significantly. It is also more versatile and easier to stow than the EZCarlift.

EDIT: Costco seems to have these at a decent price from time to time, from what I've read here over the years.

·
Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
1,183 Posts
Yes, I have the Quick Jack purchased from Costco. I got the 5000lb version to use on other cars too. I feel it is very safe, as it has arms that lock into place so you're not relying on just the hydraulic cylinders.
My only grip is that it's a pain to position the Quick Jack under the car AND get the rubber square pucks to align with the lift points. I have to use a wheel jack on the front to get enough clearance.

I really would like something I could just drive onto!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello and welcome! I do most of my own service, but what I can't/won't do I have done at Prova Motorsports in Seattle. If I need dealer only work, I would go to Rairdons in Kirkland. I am not familiar with Seattle Alfa.
Chris at Prova is the best. Had him install the front suspension blocks and reset the alignment.
Thank you for the recommendation, very appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,601 Posts
Yes, I have the Quick Jack purchased from Costco. I got the 5000lb version to use on other cars too. I feel it is very safe, as it has arms that lock into place so you're not relying on just the hydraulic cylinders.
My only grip is that it's a pain to position the Quick Jack under the car AND get the rubber square pucks to align with the lift points. I have to use a wheel jack on the front to get enough clearance.

I really would like something I could just drive onto!
All you need to do is get a couple of 2"x6" boards and cut an angle on each. Make them about 2' long and just drive your cars front wheels onto the boards. That gives you enough additional clearance to easily get the Quick Jack under the car and manipulate and line it up. My car is stock height but if you had lowered your car this is even more of a good idea. If you get the Quick Jack they come in two versions of power....AC or 12 V DC. Depending on where and how you plan to use it that could make a difference in your choice. They also have 3 models based on weight capacity. If you have plans for another heavier car than go fore the larger capacity although you can gain or rather loose a significant amount of tool weight with the smaller versions making them easier to handle. The smallest is the 3500 which is what I have and easily lifts the 4C with plenty in reserve. The neat part is the two lift parts can be leaned against a wall in the garage so don't take much space up. They also have little wheels on one end so you don't have to lifty them....just drag them to where you want them. Some do just drive over them but the company doesn't recommend that for obvious reasons (snag something expensive).. In my case when the car is out of my garage I need full access to the floor as it is also my wood and machine shop (full woodworking shop plus metal lathe and milling machine and MIG welding gear). The pump assembly for the lift is the third part and easily stored.

·
Super Moderator
10,764 Posts
Quick Jack (3000lb version will do) seems to be the forum favourite.
I have an EZCarlift, which is great, but the Quick Jack has undercut the US made competition in price significantly. It is also more versatile and easier to stow than the EZCarlift.

EDIT: Costco seems to have these at a decent price from time to time, from what I've read here over the years.
Easier to stow is an understatement. It stows under my 4C, so completely out of sight if not out of mind. It couldn’t be easier than that.

·
Administrator
17,948 Posts
Easier to stow is an understatement. It stows under my 4C, so completely out of sight if not out of mind. It couldn’t be easier than that.
Yes, to do the same with the EZCarlift, I have to pull up with the front wheels on ramps and the lift rolled (it's on casters) to the front of the car's footprint.
Ask me how I know that it doesn't work otherwise. ;) :)

·
Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
1,183 Posts
All you need to do is get a couple of 2"x6" boards and cut an angle on each. Make them about 2' long and just drive your cars front wheels onto the boards. That gives you enough additional clearance to easily get the Quick Jack under the car and manipulate and line it up. My car is stock height but if you had lowered your car this is even more of a good idea.
I have tried the boards, for me they don't stay in place and go shooting out of the garage when I try to get on them! My car is stock height as well, but with the track suspension.

Yes, to do the same with the EZCarlift, I have to pull up with the front wheels on ramps and the lift rolled (it's on casters) to the front of the car's footprint.
Ask me how I know that it doesn't work otherwise. ;) :)
How do you know that it doesn't work otherwise?

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
I have tried the boards, for me they don't stay in place and go shooting out of the garage when I try to get on them! My car is stock height as well, but with the track suspension.
Use pressure treated 2x10s. They won’t go anywhere…

I made these a while ago to get the car onto a uhaul trailer, they worked perfectly. I've used them for that (along with other smaller ones for the front of the trailer) to do that several times since - really easy btw. I have used them in the garage too though. Pressure treated 2x10s, no slipping at all. Each probably weighs 75+ pounds though so they have some heft to them.

Road surface Asphalt Tar Rectangle Composite material

·
Administrator
17,948 Posts
How do you know that is doesn't work otherwise?
Having backed off the ramps without pulling the (fully retracted lift - still with hockey pucks on it) forward enough, I found myself with the front of the car resting on the lift, dragging the lift along and unable to steer. Of course, this happened just as the car was going through the garage door, where it was too narrow to open the door to get out and fix it.

I'd love to say that I only did this once, but no, I managed to do so twice.

·
Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
1,183 Posts
Having backed off the ramps without pulling the (fully retracted lift - still with hockey pucks on it) forward enough, I found myself with the front of the car resting on the lift, dragging the lift along and unable to steer. Of course, this happened just as the car was going through the garage door, where it was too narrow to open the door to get out and fix it.

I'd love to say that I only did this once, but no, I managed to do so twice.
It's times like this I don't feel all alone in the world. :giggle:

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo 4C
20 Posts
Nice! Glad to see another 4C in King County!
I've taken my car to Costco in Issaquah for tires.
Alfa Romeo of Seattle for warranty service
And Prova Motorsports for alignment .
Other than that I've been able to work on the car in my garage

1 - 20 of 66 Posts