Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
3,771 Posts
Beautiful car, and AMG GTs are full of character

I'm really dreading the thought of ever selling the 4C but the tramlining is something that I don't know how long I want to put up with because I want to do some road trips in it through Europe, and don't think it would be a good companion.

But then I walk into my house and see people taking photos of it on my driveway...
Why put up with tramlining if that is an issue....easy to fix with Jamies blocks and better tires. The car wasn't designed as a Autobahn GT cruiser....but put it in its' element and it is superb.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Seriously don't know what the you guys are talking about. I've got blocks, spacers in the rear, and RE71Rs all around.

I drove this car back from Virginia to Texas in two days and tramlining was not a problem on all the sorts of nasty road I drove through in Louisiana and Mississippi. That was also my first time driving a 4C ever. I'm starting to think either your cars are messed up, you're overly sensitive, or maybe haven't driven a raw sports car, but GT's masquerading as sports cars?

Something seems off.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm starting to think either your cars are messed up, you're overly sensitive, or maybe haven't driven a raw sports car, but GT's masquerading as sports cars?

Something seems off.
1. Tramlining has been mentioned by a huge number of owners and magazines
2. "You're overly sensitive": to what, a car that feels wonderful except for one major flaw which I'm here to try and fix so I can enjoy it to the fullest?
3. Define 'raw' sports car. Or are you going to use 'raw' as a synonym for 'unfinished' and 'flawed'?

I've driven plenty of European sports cars and the 4C is among the most exciting, but has one serious drawback stopping me from travelling big distances.

But thanks for that helpful post

Sorry for hijacking the thread, I'll leave it there now and keep trying to find a solution to the tramlining

·
Registered
31 Posts
1. Tramlining has been mentioned by a huge number of owners and magazines
2. "You're overly sensitive": to what, a car that feels wonderful except for one major flaw which I'm here to try and fix so I can enjoy it to the fullest?
3. Define 'raw' sports car. Or are you going to use 'raw' as a synonym for 'unfinished' and 'flawed'?

I've driven plenty of European sports cars and the 4C is among the most exciting, but has one serious drawback stopping me from travelling big distances.

But thanks for that helpful post

Sorry for hijacking the thread, I'll leave it there now and keep trying to find a solution to the tramlining
Certainly, I hope it's helpful. I mean, I traveled a good 1600 miles straight and did NOT (still don't) have the problems described nor found myself stressed out driving the car for such a reason. I have some of the suggested remedies applied and maybe that's the reason, but folks here mention those same remedies not solving it for them... hence, is something off with the car?
Now, I could just agree with the group/magazine writer think or I can provide my experience that clearly counters that. I chose the latter. No skin off my back. My car behaves just fine and I now know I can rely on it for a cross country trip.

Now... raw for my definition is anything similar to a Lotus Elise, S2000, Miata, BRZ.... Etc. I don't consider those unfinished cars, but cars designed to be sports cars first, tourers maybe not. I own a few of those still, so I'm driving them daily for comparison and yeah, aside from marked heavier steering effort at lower speeds, the 4C is no different than they are.

Other cars I've driven that I don't consider as raw: 370z, C7… and tons of other non-sports cars. Primary characteristics are less noisy, less connected to the driving experience, more comfortable, etc.

Again, just stating I'm a little lost with the degree of discomfort described in driving the car long distances since my experience is not the same. If only we could connect in person to more accurately perceive what's being described, things would be easier.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
3,771 Posts
If you have Jamies blocks (Autoworks) and different tires.....and still have a bit of tramming that is uncomfortable......check toe. You may still have front toe out...try toe in a hair or 0 toe and see if that helps. Also....while it may not make any changes to tramming, replacing the rubber bushings in the rear lower triangle with Unibals will make a big difference on higher speed corners or with stickier tires as far as "nervousness" caused by changing camber under side loading.
Are you using wheel spacers? And what tire sizes AND COLD air pressures are you using?
Finally, remember that since we don't have power steering, there is no pump "resistance" acting as a damper so any road feedback is not dampened and that is a good thing in my book.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts