Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
901 - 920 of 939 Posts

·
Vendor
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #901 ·
I ditched the idea. Lots of turbulence over the roof with no noticeable change in engine bay temps. First was shown in CFD simulation while second was measured. Instead, wrapped free flowing exhaust, carbon rear louver, carbon side scoops, IC and custom engine map, now provide an acceptable engine bay temps and stable engine power.

·
Administrator
17,255 Posts
Is this a warmup/shakedown for the time attack season ahead?

Wrapping the 4C is terribly tricky. I did the front bumper, 1/2 hood, and mirror caps in clear by myself. What a pain. I cannot imagine what doing the whole car would be like. Even the pro who wrapped my LE made a few boo-boos. So good on you for trying.

Oh, and that colour is unique. I don’t dislike it, and it will look great on track. Seems to me that I saw it featured in another thread this morning. ;)

·
Vendor
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #910 · (Edited)
I must say I'm very impressed with 4C's reliability. Mine has now 43.000km on the ODO, mostly of spirited driving and plenty of track. The OEM turbo to IC pipe dismantled after a few trackdays and now the OEM right rear bearing went bad, other than that, no issues. Above expectations! (y)

Replacing the rear wheel bearing is PITA. I had to use 1kN impact wrench to get the axle nut loose. Then the knuckle had to be loosened (rear tie rod ball joint + rear strut) to be able to rotate it and reach the Torx bolts behind, holding the hub assembling place. Now the hardest part is removing the bearing outer cup that stay on the flange. No way to press it off. Option 1 - Cut it with angle grinder carefully not to cut through the flange axle and then chisel it off. It's hardcore work. Option 2 - cut it and then weld it all around to thermally expand and hopefully fall off. It's hardcore work. Option 3 - buy new flange. I used option 1.

Anway when I used ball joint separator, the joint was so tight that the threads got squished and didn't want to reuse that ball joint. Unfortunately, the rear tie rod ball joints are not available separately, but luckily we were able to fabricate our own. They are slightly oversized now as they were just a quick solution and will serve as a prototype, but we'll fabricate proper, slim, slight and durable version of these in the following month to add another product to our list of parts, so when OEM run bad, you can get replacement ball joints only instead of full tie rod assemblies.

Now I can finally enjoy the car again, because I was having such a hard time driving it, listening to the bearing on every corner and knowing the alignment is a bit off (did some height changes, which I knew it resulted in the alignment change, but drove it anyway for a few weeks now). Anyway, yesterday I did the alignment afterward the bearing and tie rod change. I played a bit with height and did a few adjustments, yet I ended spending 5h on the alignment rack. Afterwards, the car drove really nice. It felt planted and calm, just like the 4C is supposed to feel when it is all sorted out. It is a very sensitive car and doesn't like poorly adjusted alignment, especially on wide tires and stiff suspension.

Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car Wheel Crankset Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Vehicle brake

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Yes, getting that axel nut loose is a real PITA. The clearance to the hub is tight, so you really need to modify an existing nut driver or buy the special version of it. I bough an impact wrench too just to get mine off too.

Reactions: GMS and 4C-ophe

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Achhh. The burden of the job. I know that way to well!! Skipped multiple trackdays for that.
Yesterday, after buying a lightweight battery over a year ago, I managed to find some time to install it. Must have been amongst the best hours of the past year!!

I adore you, Rudi, for having made the jump, doing this career switch. Though all the setbacks you certainly get, you follow your passion!!
I wish I could, but that doesn't seem to be for now, and my job in Flanders gets worse by the day: all administration and Kafka instead of creativity, which it's supposed to be.

Enjoy summer, your beautiful country and family!

·
Vendor
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #915 · (Edited)
I have de-burdened myself. Since 01.07.2021 I'm officially self employed at GMS. Full time job. I was no longer able to handle full time job from 7h - 15h and then GMS from 15h until late night. I like the motorsports and things I do, I really do, but lately I was too tired to enjoy it and it felt like there was no harmony and joy, just a grind. It was simply too much and I was getting burn out. It was time to pull a trigger. It's scary, but it feels good, to be master of your time. I look forward to the challenges ahead. It was long since I was so happy, probably since kinder garden. I feel so free and unbounded. I even enjoy taking the trash out in the morning, knowing that I have all day ahead of me and that it is all up to me how I'm gonna spend it. I really feel I'll be now able to get so much more creative and successful. I hope that feelings don't deceive me and that happiness will last. I believe things will get better now and that we can move the GMS to next level, to offer new even more crazy parts, expand the offering to other cars (Giulia QV probably) and perhaps even some GMS experiences as "active holidays with GMS" - you know you come with your wife/girlfriend and while she is into shopping with GMS woman crew, we can do some proper road blasting with GMS cars or some offroading, overlanding, whatever. Just an idea for now, but it might go into this way once we finish new GMS headquaters which shall have also dedicated GMS guests room for staying.

I still work as a contractor for the suspension company though, but it's not an 8h / day job anymore.

Thank you Christophe for your wishes. I wish you a pleasant holidays too. And regarding the time to make a change. I've learned it's never the right time, you will always find a reason that will set you back, from making move. I know sometimes it's a few steps back to make it to the right path then and I was battling this for so long in my head, but then I just said f*** it and did it. W.C's words helped me a lot: "Success is not final, failure is not fatal".

·
Vendor
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #917 ·
I'd like to inform you that we have advanced forward with GMS adjustable ARB's. The numerous hours of engineering, time spent implementing small changes and lots of testing has finally set the handling where we wanted it to be. The latest material has also proven well in terms of weight, strength, durability. We'll be further testing the prototypes for the upcoming few events and then we are ready to officially launch the sale. Hopefully we can make it until Black Friday to offer something new and exciting as we do each year for this occasion. 🥰

901 - 920 of 939 Posts