Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
961 - 977 of 977 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Well, if this is how it actually works, their advertising is a straight out lie, it does not work better than a gear driven LSD…(?) And what do you mean by Q2?
This isn’t a proper test. When the car is moving, there is force generated between the axles that makes the Wavetrac work. The no load condition they describe is lifting a wheel in a hard corner. This condition would still mean both wheels are at least turning and the Wavehub generates force, climbs the waves and adjusts the bias. With the car stationary on ice and one wheel motionless, that doesn’t happen but it’s not a real world scenario for 4C tuners.

The Q2 system we have will brake the spinning wheel forcing the Wavetrac to bias. It should make the Wavetrac uniquely best suited to the 4C and other cars with ABS based diff biasing.

·
Vendor
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #962 · (Edited)
Timing belt done. It was as good as new after 48kkm of mostly heavy driving. Probably water pump is the weak point here as it is plastic and similar design water pumps are common to fail after time as the plastic impeller gets loose and axis then rotates freely making water pump stalling actually. Usually the signs of bad water pump are shown by temperature creeping up and then ultimately failing. Never heard of such case on 4C, but not so uncommon on cars with similar concept of water pumps (Stellantis group).

Clutch assembly replaced too. Procedure requires quite a few special tools to get the job properly done. You need clutch assembly tools, to get the clutch kit assembled correctly and to adjust the preload on the release bearing. Second, you need flywheel preload reset tool to get it mated with the new clutch kit. Third, you need TCT diagnostic tool to depressurize the system before disassembling the TCT hydraulic unit, then to bleed it and then to reset the TCT "brains" and let it fine tune itself according to the new clutch.

Here is some photo material...

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Green
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Rim
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Automotive tire Rim Tire Wheel Gas
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Automotive design
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Font Automotive wheel system
Gear Automotive tire Crankset Motor vehicle Bicycle part
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Light Gear

·
Vendor
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #963 · (Edited)
I'm curious by the nature. :D

Drexler LSD utilizes 4 clutch packs and different ramp angles (30% acc / 45% decc. or 40% acc. / 50% decc.) available to choose from - depends on how you assemble the LSD (in which ramp you put the bevel gear shaft). I've opted for less aggressive 30% acc. / 45% decc. option.

Guitar accessory Style Font Musical instrument Audio equipment
Black Flash photography Font Auto part Circle

·
Administrator
17,564 Posts
Funny, how that notion has caught on around the world.

Long before the internet and online shopping, we in Canada got onboard because, well, 90% of us live within 200miles of the US border so cross-border shopping on Black Friday has always been a "thing". In order to keep the dollars at home, Canadian retailers tended to offer their own deep discounts, even though our Thanksgiving is over a month prior to the American one.

As the world gets smaller, this day has become a global phenomenon.

Anyway, bump to your thread...

·
Vendor
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #966 ·
It's called capitalism I guess. I did my best to offer something for you all while still not hurting the brand or dealers. So no discounts on items, but free shipping and decent prize draw. This way we can keep brand and dealers healthy while customers still get a decent deal as shipping is quite expensive and of course a few nice GMS items will be claimed as a prize. Raising the prices prior to Black Friday and then showing massive discounts for a few weeks is not something I want to do. I'm trying to keep it "healthy". I hope we share same perspective. Thank you all.

·
Super Moderator
10,363 Posts
It's called capitalism I guess. I did my best to offer something for you all while still not hurting the brand or dealers. So no discounts on items, but free shipping and decent prize draw. This way we can keep brand and dealers healthy while customers still get a decent deal as shipping is quite expensive and of course a few nice GMS items will be claimed as a prize. Raising the prices prior to Black Friday and then showing massive discounts for a few weeks is not something I want to do. I'm trying to keep it "healthy". I hope we share same perspective. Thank you all.
Free shipping is a substantial discount if you live down this way.

·
Registered
405 Posts
As expected car was tramlining quite bad, so I did wheel alignment.

Before:

Front:
  • Camber: -1*04' and -0*52'
  • Caster: +2*09' and +2*02'
  • Toe: -0*12' and -0*09'

Rear:
  • Camber: -1*52' and -1*55'
  • Toe: +0*17' and +0*12'

After:

Front:
  • Camber: -1*05' and -0*51'
  • Caster: +2*09' and +2*02'
  • Toe: -0*04' and -0*04'

Rear:
  • Camber: -1*52' and -2*04'
  • Toe: +0*20' and +0*20'

Now conclusion is that this was a brand new car but alignment was quite out of specs, so it drove bad. There was too much front toe out. I reduced by more than half and turn in response is just as good as it was. No need to run more than about -0*5' toe out for good turn in response, but I would appreciate about -1*30' front camber for better midcorner grip and at least +4*0' of caster for straight line stability. I suggest everyone who didn't had alignment done yet, that they should do it. This is the cheapest and best mod you can do.

I'm still not happy with the results so I'm waiting for adjustment blocks to arrive for the front end, so I'll be able to add more caster which shall significantly improve tramlining. I'm also planing to run wider and stickier tires so a bit more front camber will be added.

That's it for now. I'm planing to go for a local time attack event this weekend, to see how car performs in comparison with my old BMW Z3M Coupe.
Rectangle Font Pattern Number Parallel

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Patiently waiting for you to offer VAT free shopping for international customers. 🤞🏻

I pay enough taxes where I live; I hate paying taxes to other countries. All your EU competitors offer this for international buyers. Come on Rudi. I want some GMS products!
Unless this has changed recently, GMS doesn't have VAT, being a 'small' company.

·
Vendor
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #973 ·
Patiently waiting for you to offer VAT free shopping for international customers. 🤞🏻

I pay enough taxes where I live; I hate paying taxes to other countries. All your EU competitors offer this for international buyers. Come on Rudi. I want some GMS products!
I understand you John. I look forward to this day of GMS "upgrade" too. Currently with mostly 4C market and a few of other small things, we are not ready yet. When I say (we), I mean GMS as a team of developers (carbon guy, welder, CNC guy, my wifeas a support etc.) because I have lots of good people around to help me and support me and actually help make stuff, but in the end it's actually me that pays all the expenses and right now moving the business scale, to next level is not viable yet. I am working on it, taking every opportunity to build something for other cars as well, rebuilding used control arms and doing some bonus work for larger companies to make it all work. At this point still our main share of work is within the country and not really a big bucks number, so our current taxation with flat tax rate and without option for VAT ex. sales is the only economical viable option for us at the moment.

Unless this has changed recently, GMS doesn't have VAT, being a 'small' company.
We have VAT, but we are not entitled for VAT EX sales. We pay flat rate tax, regardless of the amount of business we do or where we export to. If outside of Slovenia exports will raise, I will apply for VAT EX. option. Hang on for a bit more fellas. Thank you all.

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
I understand you John. I look forward to this day of GMS "upgrade" too. Currently with mostly 4C market and a few of other small things, we are not ready yet. When I say (we), I mean GMS as a team of developers (carbon guy, welder, CNC guy, my wifeas a support etc.) because I have lots of good people around to help me and support me and actually help make stuff, but in the end it's actually me that pays all the expenses and right now moving the business scale, to next level is not viable yet. I am working on it, taking every opportunity to build something for other cars as well, rebuilding used control arms and doing some bonus work for larger companies to make it all work. At this point still our main share of work is within the country and not really a big bucks number, so our current taxation with flat tax rate and without option for VAT ex. sales is the only economical viable option for us at the moment.

We have VAT, but we are not entitled for VAT EX sales. We pay flat rate tax, regardless of the amount of business we do or where we export to. If outside of Slovenia exports will raise, I will apply for VAT EX. option. Hang on for a bit more fellas. Thank you all.
Why do you not have the option to file as a registered exporter, get an EORI code and export without the VAT? Is it a Solvenia specific issue? I know companies in other EU countries that set up for this treatment without ever having made a sale.

It's good business honestly. You will sell much more when you remove the 22% surcharge (Slovenia's VAT is 22%) you are currently charging your customers. It works out to ~18% savings on all your products. I buy a lot of items directly from Europe (99% is not car stuff) and typically go out of my way to avoid paying VAT to other countries (I go through third parties, etc. to avoid this in the rare instances where it isn't possible directly with the manufacturer).

If it is a function of your size (as you mentioned) and you don't want to spend the money on the legal/paperwork to do this, I would strongly encourage you to do so. I don't mean for this to come off the wrong way, I am a huge admirer of your company and 'creator' mentality; however, at a certain point you need to have a business mentality as well. You mentioned you will file to sell ex vat when exports increase, well that's a bit of a chicken and an egg issue because exports will increase when you file to sell ex VAT.

Sorry for the soapbox rant. It's really a function of how much I want to see you do this.

Quick Example before I end my rant, lol:
It's a not inconsequential amount of money, especially if someone wants a few products. Say someone wanted to do front and rear arms plus an OCC. As is, that would run ~€4,210, if you are registered to export ex vat, that would be ~€3450, so savings of ~€760 or ~$900 depending on the current exchange rate (and it's pretty good at the moment). It matters to your potential customers.

·
Vendor
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #975 · (Edited)
I understand everything you say, but there is more to it. Most of people I work with are enthusiast, like me, so I pay them with my own money out of pocket, because they don't have companies to issue me an invoice. That's the main issue. That means I cannot show expenses, but only revenue, which would then tax me big time (16% - 50%, our country specific) as on a paper it would look like we are making big sales without any costs of fabrication of the goods.

To be able to show expenses we would need official invoices from big companies, not an individual enthusiast, but big companies are not interested to work on small quantities, so finding a people to make a few of parts for 4C is quite a challenge. When I asked for CNC bending of GMS adjustable ARB's, the MOQ was 30 pieces / month. For example making a custom CNC wheels is only viable because we got a decent deal on forged alu blanks (because a fellow company uses same blanks), we made our own CNC drawing and CAM programs and luckily I have a friend working in a local CNC workshop who does machine the wheels for us after the "main" work when the machines would otherwise stand still (it's better for this company to have at least something running, than leaving CNC's empty) and he loves to work complicated parts like these wheels are, so he is not charging crazy money to get these done for us. Had I went to any other company and asked for a few sets of custom CNC wheels, the price would be insane or more probably I would get turned down flat, right away, so I'm happy that I even have a chance to make it work this way. Same goes for carbon fiber. Good luck finding someone making a mould and a then an actual item for maybe 3-5 pieces. Nobody will do it, because it's not viable. So once again, I finance the moulds and our carbon guy takes it from here on. Now this guy is amazing. He knows what I want and how I want it, better than I do. That's why he can actually make things to work out - after work, during his free time, while he is not busy working his core job as a composite boat fabricator. Carbon parts don't really cover the cost until a few sets are sold. Of course making small carbon parts like handles, mirror covers, etc. is one thing, while making a full size carbon hood, roof or wing is another and please don't let me sound cocky, but we don't do bling-bling stuff. And then, there is a shipping. Sending a big GMS carbon fiber hood to USA is prohibitive expensive (about 700€) and there is not much we can do about it. Sending it via regular post for maybe 30% less and waiting for it 4-6 weeks to arrive, hoping nothing got damaged is a no go. So, lots of challenges to tackle, to actually make a revenue out of an item.

That's pretty much how it goes with a 4C. It's not a big volume car and development of parts is expensive. That's why you don't see big names offering much for a 4C, as it's not viable. If that would be a large volume car, a Chinese companies would offer carbon parts, wheels, and pretty much anything you can think of at a fraction of our fabrication price. So the good with the bad is, that no one is interested in developing 4C, because in most cases it's not viable as the development and fabrication hardly covers the costs as the sales of upgrades are not in big numbers. In the end if someone would offer me a 50 sets of wheels for 4C at bargain price, I wouldn't dare to take them, because that would then still be let's say 30k€ sitting in the warehouse for ages, looking for potential sale. Eventually the wheels would sell with some minimal revenue and the market would be full of these wheels, customers would be selling their used in a year or so at bargain deals. Not really a brand name I'd like for ourselves. Same goes for other parts that would overflow the market.

For a larger scale business, we would need more commercial car, maybe something like BMW M2, or similar, but then, do I really want to go into this? Competing with the big guys, with the "how low can you go approach". That would exhaust my team to the point we would all loose a joy, probably. And when you loose the joy, you loose the key point. It's just a job and work then, not really a passion anymore. We would be batching parts like crazy and push the sales. There would be lack of joy in it sooner or later. The people working with me are pretty much artists. They do not work under pressure, believe me. I've pushed the welder guy and the carbon guy and the results were not good. Quality dropped and the overall happiness dropped. They are not robots, they can't do just more and more. They work when they feel like it and this reflects the quality of the parts. What you give is what you get. When you pour love into the product, it reflects it. I still believe that our welds are supreme to any other exhaust or control arms on the market because the guy simply loves to weld and doesn't take this as a "must do" job. He wants his welds to be the best. Same goes for carbon guy. The way he's sculpturing the moulds, it's just like an renaissance artist. He's there present with his heart and soul and so far, I was never disappointed by his final work. He cares more about how much I'll like the item than how much he'll earn from it. Right now, entire team, when we get together and discuss the 4C upgrades, we brainstorm, we talk and argue until we have it all clear and no one is ever in a hurry to go home. We all participate and work together until we all agree and are excited to realize the project. It's just something special. Giving such a projects to big companies, I'm afraid it will never provide such a results. People there work, because they have to, not because they love doing it. And that's the key difference. So, money out of my pocket it is to our guys but it's well worth it.

Honestly I'm happy with how things are. I only got my 4C in 2017 and still paying the lease for it. I quit my daily job on June this year, so I suppose we are making a progress, but I don't want to get greedy and loose the red string, becoming commercialized, spitting out new parts every month, competing for the market share, trying to beat all the prices. I'm aware that we lost some customers due to the VAT, but in the end, if that is the only reason that keeps someone from buying the parts, I'm afraid even the VAT ex. sales won't close the deal. I'll work on to improve business, I promise you that, but I want to keep it real and take it step by step. They say, "When you still love what you do, it never gets old." I don't want to loose a grip on this one. Maybe I'm a bit too much emotional and not enough capitalistic orientated, but that's just who I am, who we are - the GMS.

Now that was emotional. Gotta go to the workshop, to do some work now, meanwhile some more of promo photos of our items...stay cool fellas and thank you for your input.

Wheel Sky Vehicle Tire Car
White Font Gas Auto part Camera accessory
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle
Automotive exterior Toy Art Font Fashion accessory
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting
Wheel Automotive tire White Bicycle part Rim
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle
Shoe Leg Gesture Sports equipment Headgear

·
Super Moderator
10,363 Posts
@GMS (Rudi), I’ve had your uniballs on for about 3 years and 20,000km. As you might remember I bought an extra set because I was expecting to replace these at around 30,000km. I had the 4C up on the Quickjack with the wheels off the other day and the Uniballs felt as solid as a rock. No knocking in use either. They are thoroughly excellent quality. That’s why I’ve no questions about the quality of the front uniballs I’m contemplating. No one else on the planet sells this kind of quality part for the 4C.

·
Vendor
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #977 ·
See, they say back in the days, Rolls-Royce's biggest problem was that it never broke down and rarely needed a service which led to lack of income. I'm sure it's more capitalistic orientated today when it's run by BMW. Same goes for GMS uniballs. We should have done them slightly less everlasting and increase the sales. I believe most of customers would be willing to pay for replacements after a few years. Now we need to wait for another 10 years for first to wear out. Luckily lots of other OEM parts dying on 4C as well, so perhaps we can drop the quality on these replacement parts - ball joints, tie rods, etc. Just kiddin... :D

I believe you are the only customer that bought another set of uniballs, for stock, in case they would wear out at some point.

961 - 977 of 977 Posts