Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Vendor
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

It's been a long time since the first time we mentioned the GMS Carbon CAI. Some of you have been following the development in our car's thread, while for others this might be new.

I've been playing around with different intake setups for a while now. First was the ******* type build, with a close type conical air filter simply put directly on a MAF. While it sounded decently, there were some MAF reading issues due to too short inlet path before the MAF. Second version, it was a silicon hose on the MAF and the air filter on it. It worked well, the MAF readings were OK, but it was heavy and as there was no fixation of the silicon hose, the intake wiggled around too much. Entire setup looked too much "home built", so we decided to replace the silicon hose with new, single piece, smoothly shaped piping, made of carbon fiber.

First we built the metal jig / mould and then we started experimenting with the carbon laying techniques to get the shape, strength and finish done right. Once that was done we had to make a few revisions as the fitment wasn't good enough and there is a limited space in the area where we are running the intake, so not much of a tolerance was allowed, so a few more jigs and prototypes had to be done to get there. Now with final version, I feel like we got what I was aiming for. A bit more aggressive sounding, lightweight and efficient air intake system. We also switched from closed type conical filter, to open type / dual cone air filter. On the paper it should provide better flow / performance due to larger volume, but the measurements (pressure drop) didn't show any gains or losses compared to single cone, close type air filter. Still I prefer the looks of open type, dual conical filter, so we kept this one. However, compared to OEM intake there was a measurable improvement in air flow. By comparing pressure drop of OEM filter and both type of conical filters (closed and open type), we have measured a 118% higher peak air flow in high rpm range, which equals to 0,065 bar lower pressure drop at max rpm, which in theory means a power increase of a 9hp. More airflow / less pressure drop also improves engine performance in higher rpm range, delivering slightly higher peak power, especially noticeable on tuned / remapped engines with free-flowing exhaust system. Due to shorter intake path, the turbo spool and throttle response are improved as well, while low positioned air filtering element in combination with direct fresh air inlet from the right-side scoop is ensuring low IAT (air intake temperature) and stable engine performance, especially in demanding track conditions with high ambient temperatures.

Honestly I can't feel the difference on a car in terms of power, but throttle did feel a bit more responsive and more lively in high rpm range, or perhaps it is just a placebo effect due to louder turbo and intake sounds. That surely, everyone can feel / hear. It sounds a bit more volumetric when the car is driving towards you (like a larger engine displacement kind of), but the sound increase is the most noticeable during the turbo spool, turbo charging and wastegating. It does bring a grin on your face, guaranteed. I invite you to use the headphones and hear it for yourself in this video here.

As usual, we did care about the weight too. The entire assembly weighs only 590g. A staggering 5.4x less, compared to 3230g OEM assembly. A decent achievement on an air intake element alone.

I should also add, that I am also more of a "new filter" vs "clean the old one" guy, so the air filter element is available also as a replacement part separately, but any 76mm filter in similar dimensions will work, really. Just keep your intake air filter clean. Clogged air filter will hurt the performance much more than a filter design itself (OEM, closed conical, open conical).

So, the GMS carbon CAI's finally ready and released publicly today. Unfortunately, we are unable to fabricate sufficient amount of these with the time and hands we have at our disposal at the moment, so a bit of wait and patience is what we will have to ask for, but we will cover all the interests with our best efforts. To keep the stress of my head, I'll be updating quantities according to actual stock as among all the other projects, I have on my mind right now, I'd prefer not to accept back-orders as this keeps haunting me than.

Here is the link to the item: ALFA ROMEO - 4C - Carbon CAI (Cold air intake) | GMS

Font Auto part Audio equipment Camera accessory Bicycle part
Hair Leg Automotive tire Bicycle part Bumper
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive lighting
Slope Rectangle Plot Font Parallel

Vendor
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sorry to all about not being informed upon the release of the GMS Carbon CAI. I did some changes to the item EAN and therefore, no automatic notifications were sent due to that. I'll inform all those who have registered an interest, via an e-mail as soon as possible, when we fabricate next assembly. That should be within next 10 days. I think to make it fair, it would be best to start with those who registered an interest first. If anyone has other, better suggestions, let me know. In either case a bit of patience is what I will ask for at this point. Thank you all for your understanding...

And congratulation on fast hands, @TootsMcGoots. That was one fast drawing revolver. 馃 Faster than it should be, as you got pass the line. My mistake for accidentally leaving the online orders opened. Will dispatch your order on Monday and from there on, we'll stick to the "back in stock" request inputs, based on the time of the input, as mentioned.

Premium Member
@Knievil @GMS My apologies if I jumped the line. I caught this thread about 2 hours after you put it up. I had also signed up for the email notification (though I don't know how many others did as well) I just wanted to make sure I got my order in.

To avoid a little guilt and line cutting in the future, what is the lead time on your exhaust? I was looking at the full kit: Downpipe, Decat, Midpipe, Non Resonated, and mesh.

Premium Member
No apologize needed. The error was on my side.

All the GMS 3" Modular exhaust parts are on stoxk, available for immediate dispatch.
When do you expect more intakes, Rudi?
^^^This guy stole my exhaust money, for now 馃槀 , was just curious what inventory looked like for when I'm ready to order. Hopefully by the end of the year. I would like to spend the couple winter months going from bone stock to outrageous.

Vendor
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have slightly revised the ordering process for all the items in our online store, with intention to make ordering more fluent.

Until now we had either "add to cart" button for items on stock, or "notify when back in stock" button. In first case, order was placed and once paid, immediately shipped out. In second case, when items were out of stock, the customer couldn't make a reservation, but just applied for notification once items were still back on stock again. The problem was, that once we set items inventory to back on stock, all the customers received the notification at the same time, regardless when they registered for "back in stock" notification. So whoever then got the online store first and placed an order, got the item first which I find somewhat unfair. On the other hand, sometimes when I manually informed customers for having items back on stock, I didn't get the reply back so the other potential customers had to wait for the reply until I had to decide, that I'll pass the item on, which further delayed the entire process again.

So, to sort out this situation, I have added option for preorders. Which means that whenever item is out of stock, the button from "add to cart" changes to "preorder". When you press this you are notified about the estimated lead time which in current case is around 15 days. If that's OK with you, you are welcome to place an order and the order will be fullfilled then according to the order date. So if we have 10 preorders, and we fabricate 2-3 sets of CAI per batch, we'll send out the orders according to the order date and then the following orders when another batch is done again. I think this is the best solution for items which we don't have enough of stock or cannot fabricate large batches at once. If I will feel that we are over-burdened with the preorders, then we'll close the preorders, and reopen again when we will fulfill all the opened ones. I hope everyone finds this solution OK. If not, please let me know and we'll see if there is any other better option.

2nd batch is going out today and 3rd batch will be finished in following days. Preorders can be placed here.

Vendor
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Probably a question in place: "Hi how come the filters aren't washable? thanks"

Technically, our air filters are washable, but my personal preference is to replace filter rather than washing it. Pretty much every filter in automotive industry is designed to be a wearable item and to be replaced with prescribed interval, but later aftermarket manufacturers like K&N, started marketing 鈥渨ashable鈥 air filters. My guess is, to draw more buyers that were willing to pay more for the K&N than OEM filter, by marketing a benefit of multiple time use. I did wash a few filters in my motorsport history but honestly, air filters commonly get squished by installing and uninstalling, they get dirty and arguably, it鈥檚 hard to get the filter as clean as new one. Also with extensive use and washing, the core filtering material gets worn out / rough, kind of like a cotton sweater that you wear for a prolonged time, so filtering quality and flow quality is arguably compromised. These are the reasons why I prefer replacement over washing, so the air filter element is available also as a replacement part separately, but any 76mm filter in similar dimensions will work, really. Just keep your intake air filter clean. Clogged air filter will hurt the performance much more than a filter design itself (OEM, closed conical, open conical).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts