Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Vendor
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys and girls (if there are any on this forum),

Not sure if this is an appearance or engine mod. For me, it's a performance, engine mod, as the main goal was to improve engine performance and the looks it's just a bonus, so let's keep this thread here, shall we?

As most of you know, we have successfully resolved the engine breathing by offering the one and only, fully 3'' turbo back GMS modular exhaust system on the market. Now that our engines breath effortlessly it's time to feed the engines with more air. With this carbon side scoops we deliver a huge amount of air to the engine intake, turbo cooling pipe and the most important - the intercooler.

With numerous ideas and designs, today I've finally decided that it's time to pull the trigger. After more than 70h spent on modelling (copying parts and making them carbon is something completely different, than designing a brand new part) and additional 60h to make final tweaks, I'm confident enough to release this product publicly. The main goal to deliver more cooling was achieved and I think we've managed to get the design to the point that it doesn't look like an aftermarket part anymore. To make it more sleek we would have to sacrifice the intake size, which I am not willing to do. Honestly, after you look at the 4C with the scoops on it for the first time time, it looks awesome, massive, angry. When you remove the side scoops, the stock car looks like it's missing something. We'll I just think we need a nice wing at the back now... :cool:

I'll try to keep this short, so here are the facts:
  • Lightweight 300g / scoop
  • Plug and play
  • Handmade
  • Two separate parts joined into a beautiful shaped single piece carbon scoop
  • 240g 2x2 Twill 3k carbon fiber
  • Pure carbon, without any fiberglass
  • Natural carbon glossy finish with 3x clear coating
  • Increased engine cooling (Engine intake, turbo cooling, intercooler)
  • More than 60 hours spent for modelling, designing and shaping of this unique side scoops
  • Handmade (10 hours / pair)
Due to the COVID-19 situation and some issues with material delivery and the fact that some of you have already placed the preorder via PM, I'll say 30-60 days delivery time to make sure we stay in a "safe zone". We'll try to realize all the orders within 30 days from the day of placing the order, but I do kindly ask you for some understanding in case you'll have to wait a few days more. We'll do our best to fulfill our goals.

Well here is the thing: ALFA ROMEO 4C - Carbon side scoop (PREORDER) | GaleMotorSport

Preorders opened now on a web page above...

scoop1.jpg scoop3.jpg 92606742_3095634920466805_6888023336756969472_n.jpg 92457664_259239121768921_4313191988993196032_n.jpg 92467615_899610540486084_5843592508478586880_n.jpg

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Interesting can we get some better photos from the front of the car so we can see how it looks
Also if your not removing the scoop thats there already and basically covering it with a larger version how would that increase the air intake , wouldnt it just create a pocket that goes no where ?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
OK, just a few more photos...

The idea is to catch more air and make a "ram-air" effect, to force the air through the intercooler. The cheap way would it be to make a single part mould instead of two part mould and just fix it to the existing flat spot on the flank. That would indeed create an air pocket. That's way we made a inner and outer mould, so the air flows in nicely, without any sharp edges etc. This is a two piece part, moulded into one solid part. That means double the time and cost to produce, but I think it was worth it.

scoop8.jpg scoop7.jpg

Of course it would be ideal to make a whole new flank, replace the IC etc., but I think what we have here is a nice, plug and play, affordable and neat solution to increase cooling performance. Now the next step it will be to let all that hot air that's right now messed up in the engine bay, through the rear window, or what I have in mind - rear carbon hatch, like an old F40 style or what Lambos and Radicals have today.

2018-Lamborghini-Huracan-Super-Trofeo-EVO-rear-view-01.jpg 1989-ferrari-f40-lm-31.jpg rxc-600-rear-3-4.jpg

That will give us 4C with 3'' turbo back exhaust system (reduced backpressure) + side scoop scoops (ram-air cooling effect with increased CAI, IC and turbo cooling) + carbon rear cooling hatch (increased heat dissipation from the engine bay, increased cooling). Once we're there we can work on an engine. Right now all the tuners are somewhere around 280hp on stock cars or a bit beyond with modified turbos, and I bet any money in the world, that none of them is willing to stand behind these claims for more than 1 dyno run, perhaps 2 if they are providing auxiliary fans and unrealistic ambient temps (super cold IAT). On the track, the power stability is what you need, not a dyno queen, and by pushing the car 200km/h down the straight on full boost and having all the extra air rushing through these scoops, letting the exhaust to flow free and the rear window hatch drag the hot air from the engine bay, should benefit. But that's just a theory and expectations. Track times will tell... (y)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ciao Rudi, your an excellent steerer but I think you can see those extra horses creeping away mate.Mind you an extra 40 hp sounds alot,but when you’re up around 200 + kph it's harder to gauge. All good love what you do and thanks for those great clips👍👍👍🤘

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don’t see you accelerating faster. In my opinion on most of the straights you loose a bit. But talking about acceleration it is important at what rpm you have what performance. Enrico creates a lot torque at the low end (others as well) so the car accelerates pretty good out of low rpm. At high rpm torque drops earlier and more because he is running much lower boost numbers for extra safety. There is always an explanation for everything. This video doesn’t say anything. Different driver. Who came how good out of last corner, when was the moment the other driver was putting down the paddle? Did both shift at optimum of power curve? Anything else could be wrong. Did he had wheel spin on way on the straight? Same tires, drag of both cars the same? LSD in one car? In the end hp is just a number...

I am pretty sure my development-car would even with 20hp less than yours be faster on one lap. But it would be unfair to compare as your car hasn’t anything to do with what I did. (brakes, suspension, aero, setup, LSD and so on) Being a semiprofessional racecar driver myself will also probably add something to that. (not sure but possible) If you really want to compare things you have to do it under a scientific approach. All other parameters (!) have to be the same.

In the end there is also the question of what is it meant for. Track only, street, everyday fun and so on.

But that is just my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
15,172 Posts
I think at those speeds, drag is a big factor. I think he needs a large part of those extra horses just to overcome the higher drag of his setup on the long straights.

·
Vendor
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are some disagreements between us, and that is good. Different approaches, means different solutions and different results. Let's see what can we extract from the engine with our mods (CAI, exhaust, side scoops, rear hood hatch). If you have managed to make 315hp with bone stock engine and only IC mod, than I believe we should beat that, but it seems a bit unrealistic to me. Well I guess I'll just have to wait.

·
Vendor
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very, very impressive numbers for stock engine. I'm still a non-believer though. Keep up the good work and let's return to the red string of this thread - the carbon side scoops.

After about 60 hours, the base mould is finished and ready for the firs production parts to being produced.

Here is a chronology:
  • Day 1: Preparation of the mould by waxing and clear gel-coating
  • Day 2: Laying the carbon fiber and resin of outer part, following 12h tempering
  • Day 3: Laying the layer of carbon fiber and resin of inner part, following 12h tempering
  • Day 4: Removing the carbon parts and gluing, trimming and mating together inner and outer parts
  • Day 5: Finalizing the glued parts and minor repairs
  • Day 6: Detailing of the complete part by sanding, polishing and preparing for clear coating
  • Day 7: Clear coating
  • Day 8: Quality check

·
Registered
72 Posts
I for one really like the idea of the meshed rear bumper and especially the removable trunk liner. Even better would be if it had a lid (or tie-down points for a tarp) so that you can leave it in the paddock in the rain.
Regarding the original topic, these look really cool to me as far as I can tell - if you or someone who receives the first batch could post pics of them in the context of the whole car as others have mentioned, I suspect I’d be in order for a set pretty quickly!

·
Registered
72 Posts
One other question and also a request.
How are these attached to the panels? Adhesive and rivets?
Also, if you could please get a well-lit picture of this installed on the panel capturing the inside so we can see how you dealt with the lip of the existing panel, that would be great.

·
Vendor
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You guys just can't wait, like today's kids. 😁 OK, let it be as it is Easter. But no front photos as my front end is under surgical operation which I don't want to reveal yet.

GMS carbon side scoops:

carbonsidescoop0.jpg carbonsidescoop5.jpg

Inner part of GMS carbon scoops:

carbonsidescoop3.jpg carbonsidescoop4.jpg

GMS scoops vs. other 4C carbon part (out of respect I won't reveal the manufacturer, but I think we agree there is a significant difference in quality and appearance between these parts)

carbonsidescoop1.jpg carbonsidescoop2.jpg

GMS 4C with carbon side scoops vs. stock car:

carbonsidescoop6.jpg carbonsidescoop7.jpg carbonsidescoop8.jpg carbonsidescoop9.jpg

P.S.: I had 4 different offers for manufacturing of carbon parts for our 4C. The one I decided to go for, was by far most expensive, but the representation of the idea, the personal review of other products this guy made and the fact that his main job is building top end custom yachts from carbon fiber for past 10 years sealed our deal. And the bonus fact...he is alfista. 🥰

·
Vendor
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd be glad if you could perhaps only remove the non product associated pictures. If that can't be done, then please delete the posts: #6 - #13, #15 - #24, #27 - #28, #30. Thanks a lot.

·
Super Moderator
15,172 Posts
I'd be glad if you could perhaps only remove the non product associated pictures. If that can't be done, then please delete the posts: #6 - #13, #15 - #24, #27 - #28, #30. Thanks a lot.
Done.
Anyone wishing to continue that discussion can now find it (including all moved posts) at:

Thanks, all!

·
Registered
936 Posts
GMS scoops vs. other 4C carbon part (out of respect I won't reveal the manufacturer, but I think we agree there is a significant difference in quality and appearance between these parts)

View attachment 105967
:)
That is my part but you can mention it because it goes "under the car" where it is not visible. It's a functional part not an aesthetic one + I do not add laquered layer because I don't want to add any weight ... again not being visible.

Now back to your topic and the air passing through these vents:
If you ride you bicycle you will feel the air passing through your ears --> If you put you blouse cowl on you will not feel the air any more even if it comes from the front and it can reach the ears easily. The air will "inflate" the cowl but will not be felt on your ears any more.
If the air can not pass the intercooler fins easier you will just make more drag with a minimal flow increase even if you create more room behind the IC --> A big restriction are the fins and their angle in the path of air. Please take my opinion just as it is: an opinion.

·
Vendor
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Depends on the size of your ears I guess. 🤣 Joke aside...

If you ever drove cabriolet you know that the air is actually rotating behind your head and that's giving you the feeling of the wind blowing. It's not blowing to your head from front or top. If you put behind you the wind net, then the air doesn't rotate behind your head anymore and you don't get that windy feeling again. Amazing. I'd say it goes the same for your example - the ears. It is actually the wind rotating behind your ears, that's why you feel like it is blowing straight in to your ears. At least that's my understanding of the aero and wind.

The second contradictory thing. Why on dynos everybody are forcing the air through this scoop for additional cooling? Because if you would just blow the air nearby it wouldn't get in there. That's where the side scoops help. Side scoops create "Venturi" effect. High pressure, low speed zone before the IC and low pressure, high speed on the IC core, increasing the airflow through it.

venturi.png

I agree on part of the extra air getting out of the engine bay, which we will address very shortly.

The idea behind GMS carbon side scoops was taken from Audi R8 which I believe is a bit more advanced regarding the aero than 4C which honestly, isn't exactly well engineered from the aero point of view. For example the air going through the front radiator under the car is a joke. The rear difussor with it's steep angle is not very effective and the feeling of the car driving at high speed is not very confidence inspiring. I doubt our GMS carbon side scoops will do any harm to performance, more otherwise. I guess...track times will tell.

It was a project I wanted do for a very long and we finally realized it and I have to admit it hurts me for someone not agreeing with me. The quarantine time is a f***** up time and we are all full of testosterone for not racing for so long, but let's try to stay positive. 🥰

I love you all and respect your different opinions and thoughts. I look forward for those of you who have placed an order to hear a review. (y)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts