Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Vendor
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I would like to inform you that we are testing the prototype of GMS - Carbon timing belt cover.

Usually when you choose GMS parts for your Alfa Romeo 4C, it's all about the performance. This time we did a visual upgrade and a bit of weight reduction - triple weight reduction compared to stock actually, so yes we can count that as a minor performance upgrade, but the main idea was slight visual enhancement of the engine bay, no real high tech or performance gains behind this.

The part is made 100% of pure carbon, without fiberglass core, made of 2x2 Twill 3k carbon fibre, tempered and cured and it replaces stock plastic part nr.: 55229620. Final product will shine in natural carbon glossy finish with 3x clear coating as with other GMS carbon parts.

*30-60 days ETA after all proves OK. Currently we are testing the temperature resistance of material and other possible difficulties we might encounter.

Here is the prototype without clear coating, only carbon and resin, so no glossy finish here.

Should we add some 4C logo or something to the cam cover? I think it would fit nicely, or perhaps the logo would be more appropriate for engine valve cover. I prefer minimalistic style, so without one. What do you think, let me know.

carbon cam cover(1).jpg 123552951_408679590158638_8426490800357831053_n.jpg

·
Super Moderator
8,218 Posts
Hello guys,

I would like to inform you that we are testing the prototype of GMS - Carbon timing belt cover.

Usually when you choose GMS parts for your Alfa Romeo 4C, it's all about the performance. This time we did a visual upgrade and a bit of weight reduction - triple weight reduction compared to stock actually, so yes we can count that as a minor performance upgrade, but the main idea was slight visual enhancement of the engine bay, no real high tech or performance gains behind this.

The part is made 100% of pure carbon, without fiberglass core, made of 2x2 Twill 3k carbon fibre, tempered and cured and it replaces stock plastic part nr.: 55229620. Final product will shine in natural carbon glossy finish with 3x clear coating as with other GMS carbon parts.

*30-60 days ETA after all proves OK. Currently we are testing the temperature resistance of material and other possible difficulties we might encounter.

Here is the prototype without clear coating, only carbon and resin, so no glossy finish here.

Should we add some 4C logo or something to the cam cover? I think it would fit nicely, or perhaps the logo would be more appropriate for engine valve cover. I prefer minimalistic style, so without one. What do you think, let me know.

View attachment 111250 View attachment 111251
I’ll take two, thanks. 😁 Please just price it reasonably. No 4C logo, I want one also for my Giulietta Vel.

·
Vendor
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great info, I wasn't aware of this issue, mine cam cover still looks OK though.

The biggest concern here is temperature as the cover is mounted directly to engine alu casting. Final product will require tempering process to prevent warping when engine gets hot. Prototype above iss no tempered and it is stable so far, but we haven't really got in to any extreme circumstances regarding the temp yet.

·
Super Moderator
8,218 Posts
The CF becomes soft with high temperatures even if you use higher temperature resin.
I believe there was an issue of carbon moulding softening on IC intakes and outlets, so it needs careful product development. I certainly wouldn’t want to be a part of the R & D team with my car in this critical area.

·
Vendor
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it was first version of intercoolers from Scara73 which had carbon fiber inlet tanks on both sides glued to the IC core, like 488 GT has. It wasn't the carbon that dismantled but the glue between the IC core and the IC inlet. Revised version has now alu on inlet and carbon on outlet of IC and both are now bolted instead of glued, but here not only the temps is the issue but also the pressure. However, with revised IC, we had no issues on the dyno running hard so far.

Regarding the carbon timing belt cover, I've been informed about the temperature issue with my carbon fiber development team, before starting this project, so right now we are testing the most basic version to see if a problem arises and at what temps. With proper materials and post processing, we can get the carbon fiber stable past 90 degree.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
There’s carbon fibre composite resins that are thermoset, in an autoclave, and others that aren’t, that cure by chemical reaction. The later are what you use for things that get hot.
If I know this, im sure GMS Carbon team do.

·
Registered
441 Posts
My 2017 Coupe (Australia) has a few things mounted on that tab. I didn’t get time to checkout exactly what’s what.
European Spider 11/17

DSC00717.JPG

DSC00715.JPG

ps: it always amazes me how clean everybody's enginebay is

:p

·
Vendor
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great, I see. Looks like a plastic clip goes into that hole. Now the final question. Can we close it from the front, so only the hole from the side would remain?
cover.jpg

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Yes, you can close that hole (I assume you need to do this to extract the part from the mold). The plastic clip attaches on the side and the top and it's used to keep 2 wires in place --> I could not make a picture because the space is very tight but I managed to put my hand. You need to keep the "side rounded hole" because on that you insert the clip that keeps the wires in place.

·
Vendor
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Final revisions (only 6 to-do notes left as you can see :)), before going in to the fabrication of first batch. Titanium hardware will be optional for those of you who want to get a step ahead of your neighbor's 4C. Looks quite simple, but it was quite challenging product. For perfect fitment we incorporated alloy sleeves at the back to make sure that tightening the cover doesn't squish or break the carbon. And yes, they are CNC'd out of aluminum, so don't worry about the weight. Second challenge was the temperature, so post processing was required to achieve temperature stability. We also retained the bracket on the right side of the cover for those of you who want 100% OEM fitment.

2021 bring it on!

Alfa Romeo 4C - Carbon timing belt cover PREORDER1.jpg Alfa Romeo 4C - Carbon timing belt cover PREORDER3.jpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts