Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

241 - 260 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Whenever I run into issues, I seem to ponder the fact I’m doing another “stupid man trick”, basically spending an inordinate amount of time fixing something that wasn’t broken. Sometimes it’s best to walk away, give it some thought and go back to it. Just remember the car is only metal, rubber and plastic, and we as humans are smarter then the sum of all parts, I think?

·
Vendor
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
I had a fellow 4C owner visit me yesterday and later called me back to send him our GMS exhaust sound to show his wife. :LOL:

Didn't want to rev her cold, so...no high revs. Only cold start and warm idle to get the idea. A bit of burble on cold idle, a bit of turbo whistle and some unburnt fuel smoke. Idle is about as loud as stock race exhaust, cruising too on WOT it is quite a bit louder. The difference between cat / decat is noticeable. I will provide more detailed videos once we get the car from dyno and Covid-19 panic settles down.

·
Super Moderator
14,699 Posts
OK, so I bit the bullet recently, reassembled my car enough to get it to the now-re-opened dealership service department, and had them take the cat off and install this exhaust.

I wasn't sure where they were at with it, but this morning I get a text from the salesman there saying that he heard the new exhaust from his office and just had to run and see what it was.

He sent me a little teaser. Not the greatest quality video, but here it is anyway. Finally!

·
Super Moderator
14,699 Posts
Hurray. 🥰 What was the cost? Video link is not working...
I fixed the video - had to host it elsewhere.
I don't know the cost yet - not sure I want to! LOL.

I didn't trust anyone else but them to do the work. And I did some other things to the car which I was originally going to leave for them to finish. So I'm hoping it wasn't too bad.
I installed the mesh myself, and drove the car there with the tailpipes off, diffuser removed, and the cat bracket taken out of the car, so they didn't have too much to disassemble besides that cat clamp.

·
Super Moderator
14,699 Posts
It was a bit of a disappointment (in myself) that I could not do it after being so close.
I will have to ask them but I still think my clamp screw may have been bent and that was why I could not turn it once I finally go to the head of that fastener. I may have even done this myself when trying to turn it with nuts jammed onto the other end. That, or it was just too tight / corroded for me to move with limited access.

But I work hard at my job, for long hours. It made more sense to use the fruits of that labour to have someone else do the work than to spend any more of my very limited free time on the project. The rest of the job (outside of that one clamp and the shroud that hides it) was easy.

Looking forward to seeing (and hearing it in person).

·
Registered
751 Posts
It was a bit of a disappointment (in myself) that I could not do it after being so close.
I will have to ask them but I still think my clamp screw may have been bent and that was why I could not turn it once I finally go to the head of that fastener. I may have even done this myself when trying to turn it with nuts jammed onto the other end. That, or it was just too tight / corroded for me to move with limited access.

But I work hard at my job, for long hours. It made more sense to use the fruits of that labour to have someone else do the work than to spend any more of my very limited free time on the project. The rest of the job (outside of that one clamp and the shroud that hides it) was easy.

Looking forward to seeing (and hearing it in person).
It was for that reason that I had the dealership instal my custom LARS's console, drop off, went back, cried at bill review, haggled (I'm Italian!!), PAID (they're Italian!), drove away, lighter $, yet HAPPIER :p

·
Vendor
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
I know I'm still owing you an update from the dyno. I haven't forgot about that, but I've been finalizing other projects on our 4C, so you'll have to wait a bit longer.

Meanwhile I'd still be glad if those of you who are running our GMS 3" exhaust could provide some feedback. What do you like, what you dislike? Feelings, sound? Do you think it is overpriced, or not. I know our GMS 3" exhaust system is not the most affordable, but honestly by the amount of time and handwork put in to this, we can not to go any lower with price if we want to keep the quality. If we would go with bent tubes and MIG/MAG welds, the production price would basically split. But that would be just another mediocre product on the market you agree? So what are your thoughts? Perhaps we can make it even better with your inputs...

Thank you (y)

·
Vendor
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
It does actually feel a bit less torquey to me in the low range, but hard to tell whether is it because of the high rpm range feeling so much better now or there is an actual low rpm torque loss. The only reason I see this could happen is because of more lean fueling on stock ecu as the exhaust is more free flowing. On our tuned ecu, I don't feel any change in torque loss at lower rpm. However I'm absolutely sure, that stock downpipe with stock cat doesn't help with low end torque in any perspective. Gotta wait for the dyno.

·
Super Moderator
14,699 Posts
I know I'm still owing you an update from the dyno. I haven't forgot about that, but I've been finalizing other projects on our 4C, so you'll have to wait a bit longer.

Meanwhile I'd still be glad if those of you who are running our GMS 3" exhaust could provide some feedback. What do you like, what you dislike? Feelings, sound? Do you think it is overpriced, or not. I know our GMS 3" exhaust system is not the most affordable, but honestly by the amount of time and handwork put in to this, we can not to go any lower with price if we want to keep the quality. If we would go with bent tubes and MIG/MAG welds, the production price would basically split. But that would be just another mediocre product on the market you agree? So what are your thoughts? Perhaps we can make it even better with your inputs...

Thank you (y)

Picked mine up from the dealership this evening. They did the exhaust install, and I'm pleased as can be with the service from them and with the product itself.

The service staff (along with the sales guys) loved it. They were also impressed with the workmanship and materials (as am I). The use of proper v-band clamps all the way back makes the piping solid and leak/vibration-free.

First impressions. LOUD. This is with the free-flowing cat and resonator. Not loud in an obnoxious way, but took a bit of getting used to. I also think that it quieted down a bit in the hour long shakedown drive that I took just to get away from the office for a while. It is probably a bit louder than the racing exhaust at some revs, and noticeably louder at others, but I have no hard data to back that up.

Idle is lower-pitched and has a bit of a "burble" to it that I really like. There is a hint of this in the race exhaust, but it comes through better with the GMS version.

Upshifts are dramatic, like with the race exhaust but with a deeper tone. I don't know how to describe it, but it's exciting.

Downshifts are very much like with the factory race exhaust.

You can cruise with the car, and there is no race exhaust drone (but there wasn't with my race exhaust on this car, either - other car does drone). You can manage the volume with your right foot, but don't expect to pass a golf course and have people on the putting green be happy with you. Not thinking this is great for a suburban neighbourhood. You really have to keep the revs low to put a lid on the sound. Once you put the loud pedal down is when you truly notice the changes. Power delivery is much more linear, which is going to be great on the track. No more lumpy turbo boost coming at random times when accelerating out of a corner. You definitely get the impression that the turbo spools more freely. I did the lower engine/transaxle mount upgrade at the same time, and the two mods compliment each other well. I cannot say that I noticed any loss of low end torque (stock tune), but that could be my butt-dyno calibration. I'll have to drive both cars back to back sometime and get back to you on this. I think it's that power delivery is smoother and more linear, that makes it seem different from stock.

I like the look of a centre-exit exhaust on a sports car. And this one looks good. Not fancy, just business-like. It is not decorative (like some ricer exhausts can be) but far from ugly - I would call it function with good form, as opposed to one that's meant for looks alone. Reminds me of the tips on a Cayman GTS, which is a compliment.

I got the heat-wrapped option, and after this afternoon's drive i do think that the engine bay was cooler than my car with the race exhaust last time that I drove that. Will have to evaluate it after a session or two on track, but all I can really go by is that wall of hot air that comes at you when you lift the rear deck lid. This was my #1 reason for buying this exhaust. The other was a freer flowing cat.

This product is a lot of money, no doubt. But it's all thought-out for you, and we know it works with no codes, rattles, or interference with other engine parts. The mesh is nicely done (fits without any adjustment) and the hanger is simple and lightweight.

Rudi's support has been helpful, and he's even developing a rear swaybar that will work in conjunction with this exhaust (the muffler won't go on with the stock swaybar in place). Disassembly at the turbo was a pain and why I eventually had to relent and get help. But that would be the same with any system which replaces the catalytic converter.

I'm definitely glad that I went this way.

·
Super Moderator
6,774 Posts
Picked mine up from the dealership this evening. They did the exhaust install, and I'm pleased as can be with the service from them and with the product itself.

First impressions. LOUD. This is with the free-flowing cat and resonator. Not loud in an obnoxious way, but took a bit of getting used to. I also think that it quietened down a bit in the hour long shakedown drive that I took just to get away from the office for a while. It is probably a bit louder than the racing exhaust at some revs, and noticeably louder at others, but I have no hard data to back that up.
....or you just lost another percentage of your hearing.:D:):unsure::oops::cry:
That’s my concern with the downpipe and 200CEL cat; unless muffled it’s just too loud for my already damaged hearing. A bloody nuisance.

·
Super Moderator
14,699 Posts
@4Canada
Do you run OEM ECU? I was concerned that it would throw error of cat does not heat up as fast as OEM cat.
Yes, OEM ECU.

However, last night on the way home (I could not post until this morning as I still have no internet at home), I got an O2 sensor code. Pretty sure it is an install issue and will take a look myself before going back to the dealership. They'll only blame the product, which I don't think is correct. I'll ask Rudi, too.

It ran fine for over an hour on my shakedown drive, and I supplied new top V-band clamp, new (OEM) gasket, as well as both new Oxygen sensors. So I was not expecting this. Might be a bad connection for one of the sensor plugs, a bad sensor, or maybe like what ajf2020 and dhuang had, an improper seal at the turbo end. Code is P0420 "Catalyst system efficiency below threshold Bank 1". There were three instances stored.

@4Canada did they reposition your clamp for easier access from the bottom? I just wrapped my exhaust a few days ago and took this pic for you!
View attachment 106867
Yes, that was my instruction to them, although I have not put it back up on a hoist to check since picking the car up yesterday.
Guess I'm going to do, this weekend though!

241 - 260 of 301 Posts