Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
So I spent last weekend doing a track day with the new "Race" version of the GMS Rear A-Arms. It was a mixed weekend, but did have some good runs and was able to test out the the most recent modifications. In addition to the GMS A-Arms, I was working with a new set of tires and rims. The tires were Falken Azenis RT615K+ with 215/45R17 and 265/35R18 on Advan rims.

As I have noted before, the GMS A-Arms are extremely well made with top notch welds. They are fairly easily installed and now that GMS offers two different versions you can get the stiffer "Race" version that requires a small modification to the undertray, or the "Sport" version that is slightly less stiff but doesn't require modification of the undertray.

So how were they on track? Well, simply marvelous. Previously, I had the Uniballs which I have noted is simply THE single biggest upgrade to handling and feel that you can do for the 4C. When I installed the Uniballs I could instantly tell on the first corner and confidence level increased substantially. When you lean on the back end, it just feels "solid" and no more mushy feeling. The new GMS A-Arms provide that same level of feeling and confidence without the sloppy manufacturing of Alfa Romeo. We had some challenge when installing the original Uniballs since the tolerances of the OEM A-Arms are poor. You won't have this issue with the GMS A-Arms, solid, stiff, no vibration, and top notch build quality. Sliding around the corners with the wider rear tires produced no noticeable flex or bad feeling with the A-Arms. You just lean on them and go.

So which version should I get? Well, I think it is a fairly simple choice...
1) Fast Street or Canyon Runs - Get the Standard Uniballs. I don't see a need for the "Sport" version of the A-Arms, unless you have issue with your A-Arm build quality or want a complete DIY solution.
2) Occasional Track days with standard width DOT Semi-Slicks (even with increased power) - For improved long-term durability and reliability, I'd recommend the "Sport" version.
3) Serious Track User with increased width rears, increased power, and/or Slicks - I'd recommend the "Race" version.

What you will notice from my recommendations, it has very little to do with a performance advantage once you go past the UniBalls, but much more to do with build quality, reliability, and stiffness at the very limits. The reason I kept the "Race" version is because I have increased width rear tires and do my very best to push the limits as much as possible. In the future, I do plan on running Slicks so it made sense to keep the "Race" version and modify the pan.

·
Vendor
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Thank you all for your inputs and feedback. "sport" version is bound to get shipped worldwide by the end of next week. I would like to thank all of you for preorders and the Black Friday orders opened at the moment. However, we are getting slightly buffered with all the fabrication of the GMS 3" Modular exhaust system and GMS performance control arms so I plan to close the orders to keep the quality and delivery times within the GMS expectations that we are bound to. I really don't want to get into mass sales and spitting the products out, with lack of emotions and qualtity build into. Also our welder which is more of an artist than fabricator, said that it is getting a bit wild lately and that he wants to take some time off, and I entirely understand him. It's no problem to sell, but to fulfill all the orders, so at this point if anyone wants to place an order on GMS performance rear arms "race" or "sport" I invite you to do so in next days and then we'll reopen orders once we rest a bit. I believe you understand this situation.

Product: ALFA ROMEO - 4C - Performance rear arms | GMS
Black Friday coupon: "venerdinero"

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
Agreed... Tired welder = Bad welder! I have had too many of our welds fail inspection and X-Ray when we have pushed the welders too quickly or for too long.

·
Vendor
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
We are now fabricating 2nd batch of GMS performance rear arms – sport and race (planned to be ready for dispatch by 15.02.2020). We plan to make a batch of 10 sets of both versions, so those of you who might have missed the initial batch are welcome to place an order and reserve a set here: https://www.galemotorsport.com/product-page/alfa-romeo-4c-performance-rear-arms.

After that, we'll close the orders again, so we can focus on other projects that are currently opened.

In case you need anything else, let me know and we’ll sort it out.

·
Registered
437 Posts
In case you need anything else, let me know and we’ll sort it out.
Hello Gale.
I'm looking around for a spacer 20mm for the back. Believe this is the max width to use with longer wheel bolts.
Because i'm a ligthweigth freak, need them as ligth as possible with longer titanium wheel bolts (if possible).
Why not buy a set of rims instead with the correct ET value? No, because i like it oem. (would like an extra set fan blades).
So the package (spacer and bolts) needs as ligth possible.
Kind regards,

Reactions: 4C-ophe

·
Vendor
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
I'm sorry, we are not big fans of wheel spacers, so I doubt I'll ever look in to the lightweight spacers. We do have GMS titanium wheel studs that are compatible with spacers though. On stock, ready to ship.

There was a guy in sales section selling widened OEM rims that could be interesting for you.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm sorry, we are not big fans of wheel spacers, so I doubt I'll ever look in to the lightweight spacers. We do have GMS titanium wheel studs that are compatible with spacers though. On stock, ready to ship.

There was a guy in sales section selling widened OEM rims that could be interesting for you.
Thanks for the info. Yes, i know about the rims. He's (Rainier) from USA, shipping would be high. (asked for another member his fan blades in th USA also). No problem.
Kind regards

Reactions: GMS

·
Registered
102 Posts
Who said that? So much more interesting stuff is on a way...
My girlfriend is going to be disappointed when we spend valentines at the track this year ha.
So not to take this thread off course, but do you have a one piece CF rooftop for the spider in the works this year @GMS ? If so I’m going to hold off on the foldable one. There are a few of us wanting that so I know min order shouldn’t be an issue.

121 - 135 of 135 Posts