Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
321 - 340 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts

Canada:

$461 USD by sea for 18/19. Price includes taxes. Transport time is ~35 days
Thanks. So to be clear they are saying the $461 USD + the base wheel cost is all inclusive of applicable CDN taxes, duties, brokerage, etc. ? As in, no extra charges upon delivery?

To note taxes would vary from province to province, so I'm a little wary of this fixed number quote actually including taxes - unless they quoted for Ontario specifically?

But I guess we'll sort out the gory details there when the time comes. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
Thanks. So to be clear they are saying the $461 USD + the base wheel cost is all inclusive of applicable CDN taxes, duties, brokerage, etc. ? As in, no extra charges upon delivery?

To note taxes would vary from province to province, so I'm a little wary of this fixed number quote actually including taxes - unless they quoted for Ontario specifically?

But I guess we'll sort out the gory details there when the time comes. Cheers.
That is how it was communicated to me. I caution that I don't know enough about importing into various countries to know if these numbers seem reasonable in light of what the taxes would be, etc. It does seem like there is a good amount of tax in that price just looking at the cost relative to the US (where tax is minimal, 2.5% at most). As you said, I think when we get someone from Canada ordering we can get more granular and ensure that this is really all taxes, etc.

·
Registered
138 Posts
That is how it was communicated to me. I caution that I don't know enough about importing into various countries to know if these numbers seem reasonable in light of what the taxes would be, etc. It does seem like there is a good amount of tax in that price just looking at the cost relative to the US (where tax is minimal, 2.5% at most). As you said, I think when we get someone from Canada ordering we can get more granular and ensure that this is really all taxes, etc.
Yes, I expect in Canada we'll be hit with approx 19% taxes and duty in Ontario (13% tax and ~6% duty). In other words, close to $200 on a $1000+ set of wheels.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'll be in the next round(s) super interested to see how the 17/18 looks :)
Same boat. The 17/18 will be lighter, cheaper, stronger, softer ride, more/better tire options... But the 18/19 will probably look better, and on a car like this, that's not unimportant.

I think the OEM 18/19 look too big but i recognize that the wider tires on these wheels will add an extra 1/4 inch to the sidewall so that might fix the problem. And the 17/18 might have the tires looking a bit too fat, or they'll look nicely meaty and aggressive.

Can I get a discount if I order one set of each? I'm sure i'd be able to resell the other set somewhere down the road.

·
Premium Member
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #326 · (Edited)
Yes, I expect in Canada we'll be hit with approx 19% taxes and duty in Ontario (13% tax and ~6% duty). In other words, close to $200 on a $1000+ set of wheels.
Shipping Update
Update to this, after several hours of going back and forth last night between 1 and 4 am (quite annoying tbh). I finally got some clarity on the shipment terms. They will quote you specifically when the time comes - I don't know what province in Canada he quoted above; however, shipment terms (as of now) are DDP, which means any duty, insurance, etc. is the manufacturer's responsibility - so absolutely no one should be getting an additional bill from their government. This is also what is driving their refusal to ship the center caps with the wheels, because if the product is detained indefinitely in customs, that is their problem.

Personally, I love these terms so am going to try and keep it as is, but last night was a little contentious given he was trying to hit me for more fees (shipping insurance), which made no sense given the shipping terms we established, so we'll see where it goes. I am happy with this though so barring something completely unraveling, I plan to go with this.

With that said, the latest quotes are as follows (he is starting to be very clear that these are 15 day quotes so really everyone should expect these amounts to change).

Some countries, like Oman for @Adnan have changed dramatically (for the better).

Again, though., Please note that these are really all illustrative because they will change based on the shipping market when a specific order goes in.

Font Parallel Screenshot Number Rectangle

Center Caps
The Cap cost is unavoidable if you want the Alfa logo caps. People will have an option, though. You can get either:
  1. Alfa caps, which will ship separately for $46, or
  2. 4C caps, which will ship together with the wheels for no additional cost.

See below for a mock up of 4C caps on a ZL20 wheel:
Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Circle

·
Premium Member
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #329 ·
This has turned into quite the time suck for you, thanks for being down for the struggle!
Trust me, it's getting very old. I woke up to more BS about additional fees today and I know some people wont mind but I am seriously tiring of dealing with this. I don't want to make a rash judgement but don't be shocked if I kill this whole thing and eat the 1k loss I am into it for so far (on the samples). I don't have time for this shit; it's been every day this week.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Bummer the manu turned what seemed like an interesting project into a pain in the ass. Maybe sixty sets of wheels is a drop in the bucket to them? I'd be happy to kick in and help you recoup costs if it all goes sideways.

·
Premium Member
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #331 ·
Bummer the manu turned what seemed like an interesting project into a pain in the ass. Maybe sixty sets of wheels is a drop in the bucket to them? I'd be happy to kick in and help you recoup costs if it all goes sideways.
No. Quite the opposite. He is being greedy because someone (I won't say who but they know who they are and it has created a ton of headaches for me) sent him this thread so there is a perception that he thinks he will get these orders no matter what and now every day there is a new wrinkle/fee, he wants the price higher, wants off Alibaba, etc.

Since my last post:
There will need to be shipping insurance borne by the buyer, DDP is out the window...
Also, he is pushing hard to get the transactions off the Alibaba platform (not ever going to do this FYI).

I am just at wit's end with this guy. We will see what tomorrow brings but basically the price is going to be more (due to shipping Insurance). I am really at a cross roads with this. The irony in all of this is the wheels look great. The actual product is not the issue at all (and we will confirm this when the samples arrive). We'll see where this goes from here but I just can't keep spending hours every day doing this (especially when the issues are completely unnecessary).

I have already lined up potential other suppliers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks @John4C for dealing with all the bs but I second the decision to change suppliers, and more than happy to kick in to help recoup your costs. No point wasting time with a supplier that has poor business ethnics. I much rather pay more to support someone who deserves our business No thanks to the person who leaked this thread to the supplier and ruined it for everyone.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
So someone showed the company the thread, verifying that there are 60 customers, who could cancel and go elsewhere, and you think that ruins everything?
Johns supplier obviously knew he was ordering 60 sets so what did they learn from the thread that would have weakened Johns position? I can see that it strengthened it because it proves the deal is real and theirs to lose if they f’around.

I WISH I had had a thread showing my supplier a list of potential orders like that! I could of negotiated a much better price! I got the same price as John did on 10+sets, on 2 sets!
pm sent John

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've dealt with a few businesses in China and Thailand that sound EXACTLY like the one that John4C is collaborating with at the moment. Last minute adjustments, trying to squeeze more blood from the stone. The products were perfectly fine. The people behind the products were not. If the potential exists, I would switch without hesitation. God forbid that an order or two have issues. You think NOW is frustrating? Wait until they have your money. You will be grinding your gears.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
I’ve had no issues with the one I’m dealing with. I told them about my potential group buy on this site from the outset. That’s what enabled me to negotiate volume pricing. They know very well that retail buyers go on there pretending to be volume buyers asking for “a sample” at volume pricing. The Chinese are not stupid. Showing them the initial interest my thread got is what got me the volume pricing on just 2 sample sets.

·
Registered
LE 4C
721 Posts
Thanks @John4C for dealing with all the bs but I second the decision to change suppliers, and more than happy to kick in to help recoup your costs. No point wasting time with a supplier that has poor business ethnics. I much rather pay more to support someone who deserves our business No thanks to the person who leaked this thread to the supplier and ruined it for everyone.
I am totally fine if we all chip in to help John recoup his lost. While I am Vietnamese, I have to sadly say that many Asian business men are like that. They are small thinkers and not having a long term vision, only a short time profit then run away.. Believe it or not, it does not matter the order is large or small, they smell money and will not let loose of the opportunity. Because of that mentality, it is best that you tell them straight now, it is 60 orders and more, or none, nada, and the clients on the list WILL NOT order anything unless it is with this group buy. I, like most 4C owners, are not at all desperate to get this set of wheels. I think we mostly get in this deal because it is kind of fun due of the color customization of it. The discount is nice and the design looks great, but not worth the headache and wasted time for you John if they keep pushing you and us around. Tell them to take a hike if they want to play game with us John.

321 - 340 of 345 Posts