Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
441 - 460 of 533 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Define a street tire.
Please describe what you will be using your cheapo 1000 rims for. I’m curious to know how you drive your 4C
Well, I don't think there's an absolute limit. But I guess generally anything over 200tw is a street tire, and 200tw is like a streetable track tire. Like, I would say our Pirellis and also PS4Ss are firmly in the street tire category.

I'm actually not in this group buy. If I were to get in on it I'm not really sure what I'd want out of it. On one hand I've been considering prepping my car for the new SST autox class and these would be great for that but not sure if I want to commit the funds to make the car competitive. But in that case they'd probably always be wearing some RT660s. Otherwise just have them as some nice OEM+ rims.

·
Registered
19' Rosso Comp, 15' Viper, 03' S2000, 91' Beat, 18' Escalade, 18' 2500 DMax, 03' 3772 Crusiers Yacht
50 Posts
Well, I don't think there's an absolute limit. But I guess generally anything over 200tw is a street tire, and 200tw is like a streetable track tire. Like, I would say our Pirellis and also PS4Ss are firmly in the street tire category.

I'm actually not in this group buy. If I were to get in on it I'm not really sure what I'd want out of it. On one hand I've been considering prepping my car for the new SST autox class and these would be great for that but not sure if I want to commit the funds to make the car competitive. But in that case they'd probably always be wearing some RT660s. Otherwise just have them as some nice OEM+ rims.
The RT660’s are a very big 255 tire.

I’ll be doing some real world testing between the oem’s and these new rims/tires in autox and a roadcourse event.

We will see what the results are in some time. I’ll probably shoot for late summer/early fall for the testing.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #443 ·
@Arek1123 was able to get weights today...

So...

Sample 1 - ZL20 Gloss
Samples 2 - LS09 Brushed

Font Line Material property Magenta Screenshot

This was somewhat expected as it appears the paint is somewhat thick, and the brushed finish is transparent, so less paint.

ALSO - @Arek1123 measured the rear wheel and confirmed it is 9.5" (he said a tiny bit under actually).

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had a really long weekend, but was able to slap on the front wheels with the spacers.
Here’s a pic. I hope to get a detailed video up by the end of the week about this whole journey to get to this point.

View attachment 130165
Why spacers? I thought these had the correct offset plus extra width?

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #449 ·
Why spacers? I thought these had the correct offset plus extra width?
Wheel spokes apparently interfere with the callipers.
Explained about one page ago in the thread. Manufacturer made an error, took responsibility for it, and is replacing the sample wheels.

See here:

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
I didn’t think about this clearance with my wheel design either. They said they had the 4C wheel specs but Im nervous now! They are arriving soon so not long to wait to find out!

·
Premium Member
4,368 Posts

200+ is a street tire.

If ever in doubt, ultimate answer is add extreme or 'streetable track tires' to your Tire Rack cart. If they upsell you 'heat cycling,' it is not a street tire and will heat cycle out after 10-30 drives. End result is a greasy, bad set of tires.

Falken RT660 is essentially an RE71 that lights up faster for initial lap/run, but will fall off over longer runs. Street tire confirmed.

Reactions: 4Canada

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #454 ·
I didn’t think about this clearance with my wheel design either. They said they had the 4C wheel specs but Im nervous now! They are arriving soon so not long to wait to find out!
I’ll be honest, I was really frustrated because I knew this was a concern and sent them every conceivable measurement (in addition to them saying they had the specs). Our problem was somewhat understandable though; we went through the FEM analysis to get weights and I had them redo it / tweak it at least 6-7 times. In an effort to make the wheels lighter, the designer lost track of the caliper measurement. So while annoying, people are human and there’s an explanation that makes sense. The company acknowledged it with zero drama at all and is remaking the wheels.

The funny part is actually Larry says that with the 5mm spacer he doesn’t feel the wheels are really poking. I’ll concede the offsets are meant for mass appeal, e.g. not the most aggressive. There may be an opportunity to bump them 2-3mm (5 feels like a lot) but TBD.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The funny part is actually Larry says that with the 5mm spacer he doesn’t feel the wheels are really poking. I’ll concede the offsets are meant for mass appeal, e.g. not the most aggressive. There may be an opportunity to bump them 2-3mm (5 feels like a lot) but TBD.
That part. I wouldn't be mad if we went with a bit more aggressive looking offset, but regardless, the design looks fantastic in Daddyskilz's photo

·
Registered
19' Rosso Comp, 15' Viper, 03' S2000, 91' Beat, 18' Escalade, 18' 2500 DMax, 03' 3772 Crusiers Yacht
50 Posts
In the rear we probably have 7-9mm of a gap and I’m on stock from the factory alignment. The slight stretch in the tire and camber on compression opens up a lot more space for sure.

Up front, the 5mm spacer is really really nice with a stock factory alignment.

Could we add 5mm per offset, sure. Does it warrant another 5 hours of time for John to deal with the changes, nah. If you want a more flush look the 5mm spacers would do the trick.

·
Registered
54 Posts
In the rear we probably have 7-9mm of a gap and I’m on stock from the factory alignment. The slight stretch in the tire and camber on compression opens up a lot more space for sure.

Could we add 5mm per offset, sure. Does it warrant another 5 hours of time for John to deal with the changes, nah. If you want a more flush look the 5mm spacers would do the trick.
Agree, looks like both front and rear could use the 5mm spacers. Never used them before, do they make a hub centric spacer in 5mm?

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #459 ·

I’m not against it if people want it (really doing it once though). I think you could safely add 2mm front and 3mm rear. I am skeptical of more until @Daddyskillzs posts more pics 😉

Really the reason I’m skeptical is I’ve run these offsets for years so have a sense of what they look like. Obviously camber and tire will influence the perception though. I want something everyone can be happy with regardless of setup. So we’ll see.

441 - 460 of 533 Posts