Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
801 - 820 of 841 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #801 ·
Just some questions on the tyres (i apologise if its already been covered). But thinking if i go with 265.35.19 in the rears would the front be 235.40.18? Also, I understand that some tyres can be thinner/chunkier than the other so how do i find out before making the choice?

Ive had PS4S for most of my cars and won't say its any chunkier than other tyres. Am considering RE71RS, and AD09. Cup 2 might be quite scary for me if the roads are damp. Happy to hear your thoughts :)
It seems like @Alfanut has you on the right track. The only thing I wanted to point out is 235/40/18 front won’t fit. You’ll rub the fender liner with that much sidewall. People have done 235 front but you’ll need to drop to 235/35/18. I would recommend sticking to 225/40/18. Idk what you’re coming from tire wise but if it’s stock it’s going to be so much more grip/tire I don’t think you’ll be wanting for more.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have a look at Conti Sport tyres. I’m getting some Sportcontact 6 for the rear in 235/40x18. They are a good match for Pilot Super sports (205/45x17) I have stored in my garage. Get this, Continental don’t do a front SC6 in the required size and I can’t get a Michelin Super sport in rear sizes. The Conti and Michi are very close performance wise so I’m going to do what everyone says not to and try the two as a mixed set. If it works or doesn’t work I’ll have learned something.
I bought the Continental Extreme Contact Sports in the spring, in 225/40/18 and 255/35/19, in preparation for this GB. I’ve been driving on them on the OEM wheels for now and they’re fantastic. I nearly daily my 4C so they’ve seen all but snow already and been very very good.

·
Super Moderator
4C SE, Giulietta Vel, 147, Sud, Guzzi 1100 Sport, Guzzi Le Mans MkV
12,599 Posts
I bought the Continental Extreme Contact Sports in the spring, in 225/40/18 and 255/35/19, in preparation for this GB. I’ve been driving on them on the OEM wheels for now and they’re fantastic. I nearly daily my 4C so they’ve seen all but snow already and been very very good.
Unfortunately Extreme Contacts aren’t available in Australia. No explanation from Continental when I’ve asked why not.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #804 ·
Couple Housekeeping Items:

1) Stefania Design Update

So much of the early emphasis of this was Gabriella, that was our original style after all, that I think I overlooked a bit of a design issue with Stefania. The spoke was too think through the middle IMHO and didn't properly align to the intended design. That has now been remedied. See below for Stefania as she should have looked from the beginning (weight is the same FYI)

2) 'Frozen' Finish Officially Available
So I had a request into try a satin clear coat on a brushed wheel, this is what HRE calls their 'Frozen' finishes. The factory was kind enough to indulge me and did a sample wheel in brushed light gold with satin clear powder coat. Here are pics both in a photobox as well as a more real world environment (it's an office, lol).

I am pretty pumped about this. I kind of like it. Gloss is the classic brush choice but this is an interesting option for a slightly different aesthetic

Photo box

Real World

·
Premium Member
2018 4c and Stelvio
597 Posts
I'm on the sidelines here. Is it going to be possible to wait awhile and see how they turn out on vehicles, and then place an order for the same pricing?

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #806 ·
I'm on the sidelines here. Is it going to be possible to wait awhile and see how they turn out on vehicles, and then place an order for the same pricing?
Great question. It somewhat depends on what you mean by a while. The situation is this:

The initial pricing is based on a contract with them that sets pricing based on a certain number of wheels.

Once I run through that allotment the pricing will revert to their standard (really be open to negotiation). So I do expect there to be a price increase at some point.

How much or when is unclear (simply because it’s by a count not a date). There’s also a million other things that could influence it - I’m kind of already bending the terms a bit with regards to customizations, finishes, etc. so who knows. They’ve been a terrific partner in this process thus far and I hope/expect that to continue. Could there be price increases though? Probably. I would be somewhat surprised if there aren’t.

I am committed to getting these for everyone who wants them. I may also introduce some new fitments (e.g. a few Giulia QV people have reached out to me). I can’t necessarily guarantee that the group buy pricing will be in effect forever though.

I hope that is helpful. It’s a really hard question to answer unfortunately because much of it is out of my control.

·
Registered
LE 4C
759 Posts
Couple Housekeeping Items:

1) Stefania Design Update

So much of the early emphasis of this was Gabriella, that was our original style after all, that I think I overlooked a bit of a design issue with Stefania. The spoke was too think through the middle IMHO and didn't properly align to the intended design. That has now been remedied. See below for Stefania as she should have looked from the beginning (weight is the same FYI)

2) 'Frozen' Finish Officially Available
So I had a request into try a satin clear coat on a brushed wheel, this is what HRE calls their 'Frozen' finishes. The factory was kind enough to indulge me and did a sample wheel in brushed light gold with satin clear powder coat. Here are pics both in a photobox as well as a more real world environment (it's an office, lol).

I am pretty pumped about this. I kind of like it. Gloss is the classic brush choice but this is an interesting option for a slightly different aesthetic

Photo box

Real World

Can not tell much of a difference. However, I have a feeling if there are scuffs, the frozen will hide better. Is is too late to change to this frozen finish from gloss finish in my brushed aluminum John ?

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #809 ·
I'm torn... I'm digging how sculpted the Gabriella looks, but the Stefania feels more classic Alfa teledial. :unsure:
You were talking about getting two… one of each? 😂

Can not tell much of a difference. However, I have a feeling if there are scuffs, the frozen will hide better. Is is too late to change to this frozen finish from gloss finish in my brushed aluminum John ?
It would be more obvious on a car IMHO. This will be more muted. We can still change it if you’d like.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #813 ·
Iohn what size tire did you install? Does not appear to have any tire stretch with was a concern of many.
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
225/40/18 front
255/35/19 rear. There are many versions, I buy the BMW Star (BMW OEM one) because it has a slightly wider section width.

·
Registered
2018 Rosso Competizione 4C Spider, 2019 Rosso Competizione Giulia Quadrifoglio
290 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
225/40/18 front
255/35/19 rear. There are many versions, I buy the BMW Star (BMW OEM one) because it has a slightly wider section width.
I ordered the same tires as @John4C, but from Discount Tire.
Not a bad deal - $1100 for the four tires (with install).
They are running an online promotion, which saved $110.
However, I couldnt finish the order online. They have a “feature” that forces you to select your vehicle, and as these wheels are not OEM sizes, I had to call a local store to place the order. They did honor the online price and discount.

[P.S./edit - they were cheaper than Tirerack and I got the BMW option for the rears]

·
Registered
LE 4C
759 Posts
I ordered the same tires as @John4C, but from Discount Tire.
Not a bad deal - $1100 for the four tires (with install).
They are running an online promotion, which saved $110.
However, I couldnt finish the order online. They have a “feature” that forces you to select your vehicle, and as these wheels are not OEM sizes, I had to call a local store to place the order. They did honor the online price and discount.

[P.S./edit - they were cheaper than Tirerack and I got the BMW option for the rears]
I think Costco has the best price ? But the 19 inchers are temporarily out of stock

·
Registered
2017 Coupe. Black w/red leather, dark fan wheels, carbon fiber roof, Akrapovic
271 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
225/40/18 front
Do you still have the SKU number for the Costco tires? I don’t see one specifically called ‘BMW Star’, but all of them say OEM BMW online.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #818 ·
Do you still have the SKU number for the Costco tires? I don’t see one specifically called ‘BMW Star’, but all of them say OEM BMW online.
This is what I got. They say OEM BMW at Costco. BMW Star is what BMW people call them (no idea why)
Rectangle Font Circle Writing Handwriting

801 - 820 of 841 Posts