Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I drove out to Sofala via the Bells Line and Castlereagh Highway doing some reconnaissance for an AROCA drive I’m preparing and was pleasantly surprised with the condition of the roads. I’m asking if there’s interest in doing 4C group drive out that way to add some variety to our drive destinations. My AROCA Drive has been organised for August 21. I’m keen on an all 4C drive there either before or after that date. Any takers or suggestions? I was thinking after the school holidays, July 31….barring snow🙄 but I’d like to do another reconnaissance run on the motorbike to be sure the roads are OK after all this rain we’ve had. Also the road to Glen Davis in the Capertee Valley is good tar from the highway for a distance of a little over 20km. Not a bad little diversion though it is a little narrow. Distance for the outbound route is a little under 200km from our Maccas start point, just a little more than a one-way run up the Putty. Thoughts?

·
Administrator
18,865 Posts
I suggest you aim for the outback - that's dry, after all, isn't it? :p
Or is that another misconception from an ignorant foreigner?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Last week I drove out to Sofala via the Bells Line and Castlereagh Highway doing some reconnaissance for an AROCA drive I’m preparing and was pleasantly surprised with the condition of the roads. I’m asking if there’s interest in doing 4C group drive out that way to add some variety to our drive destinations. My AROCA Drive has been organised for August 21. I’m keen on an all 4C drive there either before or after that date. Any takers or suggestions? I was thinking after the school holidays, July 30…barring snow🙄 but I’d like to do another reconnaissance run on the motorbike to be sure the roads are OK after all this rain we’ve had. Also the road to Glen Davis in the Capertee Valley is good tar from the highway for a distance of a little over 20km. Not a bad little diversion though it is a little narrow. Distance for the outbound route is a little under 200km from our Maccas start point, just a little more than a one-way run up the Putty. Thoughts?
Hi @Alfanut
I'm in with +1 passenger...
Have you considered making it an overnighter by going on to Mudgee? Good wine country and reasonable accommodation available - anyone got NSW vouchers they don't know what to do with them? This would put a smile on those country business owners seeing a giggle (I think that's the collective noun for a group of these cars and owners on a drive) of 4C's parked outside their restaurant or motel.
Cheers,
Alf.
P.S. There is a section of rock formation in that area that is a mini Grand Canyon and looks spectacular when the sun is shining on it, so no rain this time.

·
Super Moderator
12,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Alf Alpha , That’s a good suggestion to make it an overnighter. I’m pretty sure the Glen Alice road has been newly tarred too but I didn’t try it. The Capertee Valley is a very scenic area to explore. There are abandoned mining towns and shale oil refining site ruins as well. Last time I was on the Bylong Valley Way past Rylstone it was on the motorbike and it was a case of dodge the potholes. That was about 5 years ago. Gotta get the date(s) confirmed and to see if there are others so inspired for another little driving adventure.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
For those that aren't sure if they want to come on this drive, Capertee Valley is stunning from the air (I have flown over it many times) - this is not my photo (stolen from the interweb) so photo credit to the traditional custodian of this image.

Cloud Sky Mountain Nature Natural landscape

• Love
Reactions: 4Canada and Alfanut

·
Super Moderator
12,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For those that aren't sure if they want to come on this drive, Capertee Valley is stunning from the air (I have flown over it many times) - this is not my photo (stolen from the interweb) so photo credit to the traditional custodian of this image.

View attachment 130696
If you’re viewing the cliffs like this in your 4C you’ve probably driven a little further past the lookout than you should have.😉😁

·
Super Moderator
12,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hoping we have a few more takers. The roads are excellent (prior to the current rain event). I’ll do another recce, as I always do, before the drive just to be sure the road surface meets the standard. The weekend of July 30/31 suits me. A Sunday-Monday drive would be ideal for the 31st and 1st. As for me, I’ve club drives on July 24 and August 21 and the following weekend I’m up in Port again (and checking in on Circuit Italia). For July 16 I’ve volunteered to flag at a Supersprint and August 14 is the Shannon’s Classic car show at Eastern Creek. That doesn’t leave too many spare weekends. A single day is fine. If people want to come for a Sunday drive that’s fine too. The drive out and back in a day is easy. There’s no compulsion in any of it, just a sharing of the drive with like-minded enthusiasts in the car we love on roads for which it was built.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Hi all,
I know everyone is shocked at world events, the supply chain crisis, the weather, the Reserve Bank interest rates, and the price of fuel and lettuces, so you are all in need of some 4C drive time to remind you that life is good.
If anyone that is interested in coming for at least part of this drive could please indicate if they are interested in a 1-day, or 2-day drive, that will help with the route planning and therefore reduce the recce-run, looking for suitable food, fuel and accommodation stops, and arranging good weather pre-drive work that needs to be done.
Cheers,
Alf.

Reactions: Alfanut and 4Canada

·
Super Moderator
12,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Due to contracting Covid a couple of weeks ago I’ve been unable to do a reconnaissance for the route on my motorcycle. Haven’t yet felt up to it. I’ll probably do one next week, if the weather cooperates, then give a definite date for this 4C drive.

·
Super Moderator
12,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all,
I know everyone is shocked at world events, the supply chain crisis, the weather, the Reserve Bank interest rates, and the price of fuel and lettuces, so you are all in need of some 4C drive time to remind you that life is good.
If anyone that is interested in coming for at least part of this drive could please indicate if they are interested in a 1-day, or 2-day drive, that will help with the route planning and therefore reduce the recce-run, looking for suitable food, fuel and accommodation stops, and arranging good weather pre-drive work that needs to be done.
Cheers,
Alf.
It’s been an overwhelming response, Alf. 🙄 I think this coming Tuesday might be the best day weather-wise to do a recon on the bike. 2-14deg is bearable. I’m going to check out the full loop from Capertee - Glen Davis (up to the dirt) - Glen Alice - Rylstone - Cudgegong Road then back to Sofala. It’s lovely country, but I’m just not sure if the Glen Alice road is fully sealed. They were going to do some of it back in 2019 but I don’t know if it happened or if the whole lot was done.

·
Super Moderator
12,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh well, that was a short-lived plan. I’ve just been informed of a funeral I’ll sadly have to attend on Tuesday. Looks like the recon will have to be some time during the following week.

·
Super Moderator
12,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A new plan. I’m giving my younger son some country road driving practise in the Civic on Sunday. Taking the whole fam up to enjoy the countryside and have lunch at Sofala. We’ll do the full recon then. If you don’t hear from me by tomorrow night you know what’s happened.

·
Super Moderator
12,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Returned alive from the recon today. I discovered that the road from Rylestone to Glen Alice to the Glen Davis Road is now all bitumen. A pity they haven’t bothered patching the old bitumen to compliment the new stuff. As it stands the road between Rylestone and Glen Alice is NOT 4C friendly however the Glen Davis Road from Capertee is pretty good. There are a couple of short rough patches and a bridge works but it’s a very enjoyable 30km or so until the dirt begins as you approach Glen Davis. It is a spectacular valley and worth the diversion. I’ve attached a few photographs as this time I was travelling in the suicide seat. The Ilford Sofala Road is a hoot.

Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Natural landscape

Sky Plant Mountain Plant community Cloud

Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Plant community

Plant Sky Road surface Natural landscape Asphalt

Cloud Car Sky Land vehicle Vehicle

We only had one moment on the descent into Lithgow. The lad learnt a good lesson about needing to control the car rather than letting the car take control of him. We survived. All good.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I’ve always wanted to head out to Rylstone, having flown over that area a few times - it’s spectacular country. When are you planning the drive?

·
Super Moderator
12,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’ve always wanted to head out to Rylstone, having flown over that area a few times - it’s spectacular country. When are you planning the drive?
Hi Gilly, my weekends in August are full up so I was thinking early in September, most likely in the first or second weekend. The road condition is pretty good all the way to Sofala. No sudden surprises of deep potholes across the road. Glen Davis is a ghost town and is only SUV/4WD or Adventure bike friendly. You should see some of the erosion ruts across the roads where the town was. This was the good bit. The only bowser in the place. Doesn’t look like they have 98.
Plant Ecoregion Vertebrate Sky Branch

Cloud Plant Sky Window Building

Cloud Sky Plant Ecoregion Nature

·
Super Moderator
12,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, how does Sunday September 11 sound? …Not a great date in world/US history. Bloody awful, actually. 🥺😢
Nevertheless, it’s the weekend following Fathers’ Day so family obligations should have been taken care of the previous Sunday. Who’s in?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
OK, how does Sunday September 11 sound? …Not a great date in world/US history. Bloody awful, actually. 🥺😢
Nevertheless, it’s the weekend following Fathers’ Day so family obligations should have been taken care of the previous Sunday. Who’s in?
... Do you have to ask who would be first with his hand up :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
The landscape looks amazing Jim from the pics.
Have to raincheck unfortunately. My yard is in full swing atm and should be completed by October.
Hoping saint Peter does not pull his pants down and soak Sydney. 🤔
Is the concourso at Tempe on in September or October?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts