Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I decided to replace the handbrake black stitching with red 0.8mm polyester waxed thread
While busy removing the black thread, thought a cross stitch would look more elegant, using 2 needles
Some photos of the process are displayed below
handbrake1.jpg handbrake2.JPG handbrake3.JPG

Next was to replace the black double line stitch of the handbrake pouch with red 0.5mm polyester waxed thread
Some photos are displayed below
bag1.JPG bag2.JPG

Result of both in the Alfa 4C is displayed below
total result.JPG

Now busy replacing the black stiches of the door handles with red 0.5mm polyester waxed thread
Door handle is shown below
Door.JPG

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV Black on White + 1981 Delorean DMC12 "6MT" Tesla P90 Swap!
328 Posts
Please... Please do a small writeup and pics of tools used! Maybe it's obvious to buy the polyester and restring with needle but some of us will be doing anything like this for the first time and would appreciate any tips and methods. I will be doing my brake boot and handles too!
Bellissimo, well done!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please... Please do a small writeup and pics of tools used! Maybe it's obvious to buy the polyester and restring with needle but some of us will be doing anything like this for the first time and would appreciate any tips and methods. I will be doing my brake boot and handles too!
Bellissimo, well done!
Thanks will do a small summary on what tool/needles/thread I used

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Great job, are you a surgeon by the way?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As requested : the tools I used for this work
When stitching leather only waxed polyester thread should be used, this slides much easier through leather and is more dirt resistant
After a piece of stitching is finished (like the door grip) a flame is used to melt the end of the thread (so it stays put)

0.8mm thread thickness I used for the handbrake only, two non-pointed needles of 1.05 x 55mm
Tools 0.8.JPG

For the other work (is a bit more complicated) I used :
0.5mm waxed polyester thread spooled on a Sewing Awl (sharp needle, like a sewing machine needle was inclused)
To work more easy I used a needle of 0.9x48mm on the other side of the leather (is explained later)
tools 0.5.JPG

The Sewing Awl spooled already with 0.5mm thread:
awl image.JPG

Small explanation delivered with the Awl:
awl.JPG

Few steps below show how the Awl is used on the door grip:
step1.JPG

Pushing the needle through the leather using the original hole
Now you see the use of a needle on the other end of the thread:
step2.JPG

Next the thread is pushed through the little loop, easier to be done when a needle is used:
step3.JPG

Next you draw back the Awl and hold the thread on the other end, then you pull both ends tight
and ready for the second stitch...
step4.JPG

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,138 Posts
For those looking for the sewing awl....try Ace Hardware if in the US. I have one but used it to repair what are known as sew-up tires on my road race bicycles a few years back.

·
Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
654 Posts
I tried to do the same with my door pulls (in yellow). With the same tools, I couldn't get the thread through all the layers; and if I did, it looked like crap. Nice job @Henkjan !!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried to do the same with my door pulls (in yellow). With the same tools, I couldn't get the thread through all the layers; and if I did, it looked like crap. Nice job @Henkjan !!
Hi, with the sewing awl it should work to get the needle through using the same holes (after removal of the black stitched thread of course.., then when putting the wire through the small loop, make sure your pul both sides to make it tight

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
If it's an LE I believe original, don't think others had it. I know my spider from 2018 doesn't have stitched handles, has majority of options so if available would think I would have it.
Definitely not an LE.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts