Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious. I would love to own a 458 or 488. How does it compare to driving a 4C? Any similarities? What's the main difference? Curious

·
Registered
Alfa Rosso 2016 4C Spider + 1984 Ferrari 308QV Targa + (coming soon) Delorean DMC12
49 Posts
My mother owns a 458 spider (we are trading that for a 308 QV and a delorean, you read that here first) and I've driven the 488 and F8 at PBIR (Palm Beach Int'l Raceway), so imo:
The 458 Italia is very different, and feels like an "adult" Ferrari should as compared to our "teenager" 4c, but the turbo 488/f8 is yawn despite the solid improvements in interior and exterior design. Keep the carbon 4c for identical emotions, but if youre looking to hold your own against the similarly priced C8 Corvettes, then go for a tuned 458, supercharged 430, CaymanGT4/Spider, or better the 570/650 Maccas. All depends why you got the 4c really...
The F8 Tributo is nice and all but I know so many better ways to enjoy the $100k+ youll lose by driving that 720s wannabe off the lot. And this coming from a Venetian/San Gimi descendent, I put credit where its due.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My mother owns a 458 spider (we are trading that for a 308 QV and a delorean, you read that here first) and I've driven the 488 and F8 at PBIR (Palm Beach Int'l Raceway), so imo:
The 458 Italia is very different, and feels like an "adult" Ferrari should as compared to our "teenager" 4c, but the turbo 488/f8 is yawn despite the solid improvements in interior and exterior design. Keep the carbon 4c for identical emotions, but if youre looking to hold your own against the similarly priced C8 Corvettes, then go for a tuned 458, supercharged 430, CaymanGT4/Spider, or better the 570/650 Maccas. All depends why you got the 4c really...
The F8 Tributo is nice and all but I know so many better ways to enjoy the $100k+ youll lose by driving that 720s wannabe off the lot. And this coming from a Venetian/San Gimi descendent, I put credit where its due.
how much would you charge me to give me a ride in the 458? I live in Palm Beach.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Ive only driven a 360 Modena F1, after a Lotus Exige, it felt like a barge. It didn't stop or turn in HALF as hard as the Exige. The Lotus was miles quicker point to point. The 4C is very similar to the Exige but I haven't decided which is better because ive only just got the 4C. I know I am absolutely convinced that less is more and ultra lightweight, SWB mid engine is the way. I don't expect the newer Ferrari of the same lineage would change my mind.

·
Registered
231 Posts
First Ferrari I drove was a 308 2 valve model. Really cool looking and small, but not very quick. Then I drove my dad's 1986 Testarossa. Awesome feel, but a wide load (wider than the 4c!). Acceleration was really linear. I used to have a 348 from 2005-2010 or so. It has a similar raw feel to the 4C, but not nearly as quick. I drove a gated 360 that my dad used to own around 2007 or so, and the acceleration of that car seems very similar to the 4C. I would bet the newer models are all a step up.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Although not a newer Ferrari, as I've mentioned before, a gated 360 has many similarities to the 4C as one can find on Youtube, online articles etc. One is considerably older, and in my opinion faster with higher top end, while the newer 4C is quicker and dartier. Neither will disappoint and each have their individual strengths and quirks. I might say that the 4C will give you much more exhilaration at way lower speeds which can result in a cost saving as there will be less conversations with the guys who drive with lights atop their roofs lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Interesting thread to me. I have a Ferrari an 89 328 and also a 2017 4c. The Ferrari is old school, raw and a classic. The 4c is definitely next level on performance and has a real exotic feel to it. I also have an 86 MR2 with very low miles and a 93 MR2 turbo. Both are in great shape.
I have been toying with the idea of selling all 4 and getting a 458 and am planning on posting up here and on Ferrari chat in the 328 and 458 forum to get some opinions on that.
As to the OPs question and comparing the older Ferrari to the 4c. Just on performance it’s no comparison with the 4c winning all day long in every category. The 328 is a beautiful car and it’s amazing how small it is compared to todays cars and the lines of the car even being an almost 50 year old design still look great today. The gated shifter....what can you say. It’s classic Ferrari and I love it. The 4c while being a new car I would also describe as raw which is one of the things I love about it. If you are asking me if I could only keep one which would it be my answer would be “ it depends on the day and which I just got out of”

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
If you search "Ferrari" on here you'll find a lot of similar threads with some great insights from many people who own/have owned all manner of F-cars. Common themes seemed to be that the 4C reminded more than a couple guys who have owned them of both 246 Dinos and 360 Challenge Stradales/430 Scuderias.

·
Registered
Alfa Rosso 2016 4C Spider + 1984 Ferrari 308QV Targa + (coming soon) Delorean DMC12
49 Posts
how much would you charge me to give me a ride in the 458? I live in Palm Beach.
Nothing! Except the car is in consignment at Ferrari CFL (Onofrio's) and is being bidded on, sorry. My 4c or the 308 on the other hand... Haha
Also, I hope to cross paths w ya at the crazy WPB cars and coffee... i heard it is the largest in the nation at 10k cars? Can you confirm?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nothing! Except the car is in consignment at Ferrari CFL (Onofrio's) and is being bidded on, sorry. My 4c or the 308 on the other hand... Haha
Also, I hope to cross paths w ya at the crazy WPB cars and coffee... i heard it is the largest in the nation at 10k cars? Can you confirm?
when is it? There is a good chance that its going to get canceled because of the virus

·
Registered
470 Posts
Interesting thread to me. I have a Ferrari an 89 328 and also a 2017 4c. The Ferrari is old school, raw and a classic. The 4c is definitely next level on performance and has a real exotic feel to it. I also have an 86 MR2 with very low miles and a 93 MR2 turbo. Both are in great shape.
I have been toying with the idea of selling all 4 and getting a 458 and am planning on posting up here and on Ferrari chat in the 328 and 458 forum to get some opinions on that.
As to the OPs question and comparing the older Ferrari to the 4c. Just on performance it’s no comparison with the 4c winning all day long in every category. The 328 is a beautiful car and it’s amazing how small it is compared to todays cars and the lines of the car even being an almost 50 year old design still look great today. The gated shifter....what can you say. It’s classic Ferrari and I love it. The 4c while being a new car I would also describe as raw which is one of the things I love about it. If you are asking me if I could only keep one which would it be my answer would be “ it depends on the day and which I just got out of”
you asked for an opinion...I personally would not trade them. The 328 is pretty much the only other "relatively" reasonably priced Fcar that I would consider today. That model is one of the prettiest, true to form cars of that era without the 355 maintenance (also beautiful). The 360 is my favourite modern day classic Fcar. Perfect garage would include 328/360. But if you asked me, today or 15 years from now, I would rather have an 89 328 and 2017 4C over one 458, your MR2s are just an extra bonus :)
You decide....all are wonderful vehicles!

·
Registered
631 Posts
I only semi modern Ferrari I would look at is the 430 Scud. Essentially the 4C's big brother.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am on the fence whether to trade in my Rapide and go for a California T or keep the Rapide and buy a 4C. Great reasons to go either way.

One thing that no Ferrari can replicate on the 4C is the lack of weight. Cornering, braking and the whole experience of the lightness in the 4C is not in any Ferrari. It's also hard to compensate in the 4C the Ferrari V8 or V12 sound. Sure the 4C makes some cool sounds with the turbo, waste gates and all that, but that's only a third of the capacity of v12 Ferrari. Wheelbase and width also make the 4C feel different than a Ferrari.

I think the 4C has enough on it's own that it does not need envy of a Ferrari. Both were born out of "drive the piss out of it" DNA that Ferrari and Alfa share. Both are works of automotive art.

·
Registered
26 Posts
you asked for an opinion...I personally would not trade them. The 328 is pretty much the only other "relatively" reasonably priced Fcar that I would consider today. That model is one of the prettiest, true to form cars of that era without the 355 maintenance (also beautiful). The 360 is my favourite modern day classic Fcar. Perfect garage would include 328/360. But if you asked me, today or 15 years from now, I would rather have an 89 328 and 2017 4C over one 458, your MR2s are just an extra bonus :)
You decide....all are wonderful vehicles!
Hey thanks so much for the opinion! I really do appreciate it. I do feel like I have a good mix of old and new with that pair. The MR2s are just fun simple cars which I also really like. Honestly right now with how things are going I can’t imagine trying to sell cars in this mess anyway so as it sits now I’m keeping what I have. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. I’ll still probably post up a thread on it just because I think it will make for some fun opinions.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Personally have owned both and the easiest explanation between the two is the Ferrari is excitement where the 4C is fun. That’s not a hit to either of them. The 4C experience can not be replicated by any modern Ferrari. It’s the most fun you can have in a car. The 4C also feels just as special as the Ferrari driving around town. The scream of the NA V8 and hyper reactive steering bring on that extra excitement/exhilaration. This is coming from a 430 as well the 458 is a little more numb in comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
This topic also discussed several times at ferrarichat.
Typically with the heading Whats the cheapest Ferrari or Whats the least expensive Ferrari to maintain ?
Lots of people over there with experience in both makes.
One guy; "Carnut" has owned hundreds of cars and always recommends a 4C as the cheapest "Ferrari" to own.
Ferrari STILL doesnt build a Carbon fiber machine other than the Supercars.

As for myself just waiting for some land to sell then a 360CS is next.
Head says 4C.
Heart says CS.
wacha gunna do ?

·
Registered
231 Posts
This topic also discussed several times at ferrarichat.
Typically with the heading Whats the cheapest Ferrari or Whats the least expensive Ferrari to maintain ?
Lots of people over there with experience in both makes.
One guy; "Carnut" has owned hundreds of cars and always recommends a 4C as the cheapest "Ferrari" to own.
Ferrari STILL doesnt build a Carbon fiber machine other than the Supercars.

As for myself just waiting for some land to sell then a 360CS is next.
Head says 4C.
Heart says CS.
wacha gunna do ?
I would not get a CS. They look cool and are lightweight and raw, but the rarity of parts is problematic. Just buying tires seems to be a chore. I think if I were to buy a Ferrari I would either go with a 308QV / 328 or a 430 spider manual. Just my thoughts.To me the CS or the Scud are essentially just faster versions of the 4C without any extra excitement. You gotta go very fast in those cars, and that can get costly / dangerous. 4C is fun at reasonable speeds.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello, new to the forum however I do have extensive experience in Ferrari’s. I will say in all honesty you cannot compare. They really are not on the same planet.
I am referring to the 458 and 488, the 355 and 360 would be a better comparison.
That being said, on the road and in some cases on the track you can certainly have as much fun as the big boys.
The 4C is truly a great experience for the money but I am sorry to say not even close to a 458 or 488.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts