Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello, new to the forum however I do have extensive experience in Ferrari’s. I will say in all honesty you cannot compare. They really are not on the same planet.
I am referring to the 458 and 488, the 355 and 360 would be a better comparison.
That being said, on the road and in some cases on the track you can certainly have as much fun as the big boys.
The 4C is truly a great experience for the money but I am sorry to say not even close to a 458 or 488.

I have not driven a Ferrari yet. I would think the 458 and 488 are a little too plush of a ride to compare to the 4C. My thought is the 360 challenge stradale would be a better comparison but I might be wrong.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Probably in ride but the larger displacement V8’s are just something magnificent.
There’s a reason why I have owned Ferrari V8’s for the last 15 years and have lost a total of £10,000 in depreciation and it is because they are that good.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Probably in ride but the larger displacement V8’s are just something magnificent.
There’s a reason why I have owned Ferrari V8’s for the last 15 years and have lost a total of £10,000 in depreciation and it is because they are that good.

I thought we were only talking about ride characteristics. Are we talking about bang for the buck, ROI ?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm so jealous. The 488 is a piece of art. Dream car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I actually prefer the 458, I only kept the 488 for 3 months as it was soulless and the sound annoyed me.
Didn’t stop me ordering the Pista however. It was supposed to be April delivery however manufacturing is shut down so not sure when it will arrive.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I own a Dino 308gt4 and I've driven a 308GTS QV, a Testarossa, a Daytona, a 330 GTC, a 250 GTE, a 400i GT, a Mondial Cabriolet 3.2 and an F360.

Frankly, none of them are close to the 4C because, as pointed out by brightoncorgi, weight is an important consideration. I will say the 308GTS QV is as close to the 4C as I can tell for a Ferrari. I've driven an Elise, I liked it but is feels different character than the 4C. It is quite less refined and more toy-like. I remember years ago, a friend of mine's dad had a Lotus Europa... That was about as close to the 4C as I've ever come.

While I truly love and lust after the 4C, I really like big, fast G.T. cars. As a teenager, I was turned on to Italian sports car by a girlfriend's father's girlfriend's (yeah, it's a long convoluted path) Maserati Khamsin. What a car! Later, my dentist, also an Alfa Club guy, used to let me drive his Ghibli. I've never been able to really able to choose between the Ghibli and the Khamsin. The Khamsin is more capable but the Ghibli is just SPECTACULAR to look at! On American secondary roads there really isn't a noticeable difference between the two cars unless traveling very quickly through bumpy turns.

My wife used to have a Fiero which actually was a good riding car but not exactly a handling machine. Until I bought the 4C about the best drive I ever had was in a first generation Toyota MR2. The owner had installed poly suspension bushings, Bilstein struts, Eibach springs and had triangulated the shock towers and fitted higher performance tires. Surprisingly enough, the car didn't ride badly and it changed direction like a roach in full escape mode.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As others have cited, with the 4C, it's the weight or lack thereof. Setting aside the 4C's significantly higher levels of performance, the nimble lightness and character feels closer to the classic Ferrari cars like the Dino. Again, it has to be restated, from a performance perspective, the 4C is brutally quick compared to those cars, but that lightness and manual steering call back to a different era of cars.

The modern midengine V8 Ferraris don't really do it for me. So, as far as I am concerned, for me, the 4C is perfect, delivering a more classic experience. If you're going to throw all of that tech, weight, and complexity at me, I'd rather just drive a Porsche 911... which happens to be my daily. :p

·
Registered
45 Posts
I own a Dino 308gt4 and I've driven a 308GTS QV, a Testarossa, a Daytona, a 330 GTC, a 250 GTE, a 400i GT, a Mondial Cabriolet 3.2 and an F360
Please tell us more about this Dino 308 gt4. How does it drive? What are its quirks? Do you ever grow tired of looking at one of the coolest instrument panels ever designed?

·
Registered
606 Posts
I had a 430 spider. It is much more comfortable than the 4c.

In corner, they are more natural and you feel the car is actually rotating (not sure how to put it in words).

The 4c is superior in excitement (not exactly pure top speed) and responds from the chassis. But obviously the engine sound is not comparable to the Ferrari v8

·
Registered
133 Posts
Please tell us more about this Dino 308 gt4. How does it drive? What are its quirks? Do you ever grow tired of looking at one of the coolest instrument panels ever designed?
I rebuilt the suspension with new poly bushings and had the Koni shocks rebuilt as well. The ball joints and tie-rods were/are fine as they have less than 50K miles on them. It drives brilliantly. I will say, compared to a modern car it is slow but the handling is superb and the view looks like something out of a video game. Unless the headlights are up the road starts at the bottom edge of the windshield. The longer wheelbase makes the car stable and smooth on the highway and secondary roads and keeps you out of trouble when things get really twisty. The very best thing about the car is the sound of the flat plane V-8 over about 5,000 rpm. It definitely gets everyone's attention. The controls are heavy in traffic but on the open road the car is a gem. We were running down a deserted state route one day and I commented to my wife - who was driving - that she might consider slowing down... She blandly asked why and I pointed out she was doing over 90! An earlier time, right after we got the car, she tensed up as two big semi trucks were coming towards us in the other lane... Before I could ask what was wrong the trucks went by and she looked completely surprised and pleased. She commented the bow wave of the trucks didn't affect the car! No dear, I told her, it wouldn't...

QUIRKS? The brakes are fantastic for 1975 vintage but they need to be hot. Get them warmed up and the car will stop like it ran into something. The controls are heavy is stop-and-go traffic. The nose is low and I've redone the damage to the fiberglass front valance a couple of times. The heater only hast two temperature setting cold or broil. A/C is currently no-op that is this years project.Correct stainless windshield wipers don't really cover a big enough swath of the windshield. Car isn't geared for the USA, at a nice comfortable cruise in 5th will find you doing 80+mph.

Car is very practical, the trunk will swallow two weeks groceries for a family of three, the kid fit in the back seat (That's why I have it, Momma said I could have a Ferrari if it had a back seat for our then 8 year old daughter, two week later it was in the driveway. She didn't know they made a four seat Ferrari.) Actually used it as a commuter car daily for two weeks, no issues.

The dash is gorgeous! I do have a funny dash story. Had the car at an event and another couple's car died. Tow truck came and we volunteered to give them a lift back home. We piled four adults in the gt4 and headed for their house. As it got dark I turned on the head-lights and the guy comment that he was surprised that my side panel lights not only both worked but were green. I came clean and told him I knew the green bulbs were NLA in the correct wattage and that one of mine was actually white/clear. I got the green glow by buying green fuel-proof paint and coating the bulb several times until it cast the same shade as the other bulb. Now, if the side lights go out I simply go the local auto parts story, buy the clear bulb and paint a few coats of green on before I install it.

The best thing about the car is that it is totally original as built by Ferrari, I have all of the books, the original hub cap centers, the original interior, both tool rolls and the clock even works. It is quite the time capsule. When I went to look at the car the owner was asking $17,500.00 After a test drive he commented that if I agreed to buy the car right then he would knock off $2,500.00 because he wanted to be rid of the Dino... Obviously, I agreed...

·
Registered
45 Posts
That’s fantastic, thanks for sharing! There’s something about this car that I’ve always found appealing and unique. Maybe it’s the Gandini design. I’ve never seen a 308 gt4 in person either. Glad to see you’re enjoying it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That’s fantastic, thanks for sharing! There’s something about this car that I’ve always found appealing and unique. Maybe it’s the Gandini design. I’ve never seen a 308 gt4 in person either. Glad to see you’re enjoying it.
The funniest thing that ever happened about owning this car happened at the FCA National Meet a few years ago. We went up to Northern Virginia to see the Concours and were looking for a place to park when what shows up in my rear-view mirror but an F40. We find a side street, drive down and parallel park, the F40 owner does the same a few cars further down. As my wife and I are getting out this guy in a $1,000,000.00 Ferrari comes running up to my gt4 like a kid in a toy store at Christmas! He gushes over the car and asks if he can take a close look... Dumbfounded I handed him the keys and told he could drive it if he wanted to... About then his wife walked up smiling and he asked her if she wanted to go for a ride! She said sure and off they went while my wife and I stood there with the keys to his F40. I didn't even know his name yet! They came back a few minutes later looking twenty years younger and laughing like children. He commented that we would be the only owners of a running gt4 that day and he was right, there wasn't another one to be seen... or, an F40 either... Later, we went to eat with them and the wife explained that they had bought a gt4 as soon as they could afford it because it had been his dream to own a Ferrari. Years and much financial success later virtually any Ferrari was within reach but he had always had a soft spot for his gt4. His wife said he never should have sold it and he agreed. Laughingly, I offered to trade mine for the F40 and he got very serious and said "No, don't ever get rid of that car, you'll never get anything like it again." It is funny, as you can see by the list I've driven a few Ferraris and I forgot about the F355 Spider in Honolulu, but he was right, none of them have had the appeal of the gt4.

The F360 I drove was at a local Cars and Coffee a few years ago and the owner of the 360 drove the gt4. My bud at C-&-C and I came back and my comment was yeah it's nice but seen one-seen-em-all. The F360 owner and his pal were laughing and pointing out how involved it was to drive and OMG how did you get it to sound that way! I told them it was the stock exhaust with an ANSA muffler. They loved the gt4! My dentist, a personal friend who has owned a Ghibli, a Merak and a Bora commented afterwards that he wouldn't own a F360, it looked like a blob and his 80+ mother could drive it. It was a nice car but it didn't send me either...

·
Registered
231 Posts
The first Ferrari I rode in was a GT4. I used to ride the Greyhound bus from Homestead to West Palm Beach to visit my dad for the weekend, and he would almost always pick me up in a sports car. First sports car he had when I was a kid was an E type Jag convertible. Then he got a 911 SC targa, then the GT4. I remember looking out the window of the bus and seeing the yellow sports car, and I knew it was my dad, even though I did not know what the car was. Good times.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The funniest thing that ever happened about owning this car happened at the FCA National Meet a few years ago. We went up to Northern Virginia to see the Concours and were looking for a place to park when what shows up in my rear-view mirror but an F40. We find a side street, drive down and parallel park, the F40 owner does the same a few cars further down. As my wife and I are getting out this guy in a $1,000,000.00 Ferrari comes running up to my gt4 like a kid in a toy store at Christmas! He gushes over the car and asks if he can take a close look... Dumbfounded I handed him the keys and told he could drive it if he wanted to... About then his wife walked up smiling and he asked her if she wanted to go for a ride! She said sure and off they went while my wife and I stood there with the keys to his F40. I didn't even know his name yet! They came back a few minutes later looking twenty years younger and laughing like children. He commented that we would be the only owners of a running gt4 that day and he was right, there wasn't another one to be seen... or, an F40 either... Later, we went to eat with them and the wife explained that they had bought a gt4 as soon as they could afford it because it had been his dream to own a Ferrari. Years and much financial success later virtually any Ferrari was within reach but he had always had a soft spot for his gt4. His wife said he never should have sold it and he agreed. Laughingly, I offered to trade mine for the F40 and he got very serious and said "No, don't ever get rid of that car, you'll never get anything like it again." It is funny, as you can see by the list I've driven a few Ferraris and I forgot about the F355 Spider in Honolulu, but he was right, none of them have had the appeal of the gt4.

The F360 I drove was at a local Cars and Coffee a few years ago and the owner of the 360 drove the gt4. My bud at C-&-C and I came back and my comment was yeah it's nice but seen one-seen-em-all. The F360 owner and his pal were laughing and pointing out how involved it was to drive and OMG how did you get it to sound that way! I told them it was the stock exhaust with an ANSA muffler. They loved the gt4! My dentist, a personal friend who has owned a Ghibli, a Merak and a Bora commented afterwards that he wouldn't own a F360, it looked like a blob and his 80+ mother could drive it. It was a nice car but it didn't send me either...
Did you get to drive the F40 ?

That is actually my favorite Ferrari and in my top 5 fave cars of all time but have never driven one.
Back when my business was doing gangbusters I was shopping for one.
The cheapest "driver" on the market at the time was just under 400K.
I could have afforded it with a loan.... but passed while waiting to save $ to pay all cash. Then they took off in value.
A friend of mine and a guy I used to race Formula Mazdas against bought that car as a track rat.
I begged him to drive it but he always had an excuse.
I ALWAYS offered my 512BB to drive to any real enthusiast that actually knew what it was. The 512BB is my second favorite Ferrari and still have it. Vastly underappreciated but I dont make the market.
This fellow died a few years ago (young...lesson there) so that opportunity lost
But I DO know an online buddy in Houston with one that owes me a favor...or at least I think he does ;)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Did you get to drive the F40 ?

That is actually my favorite Ferrari and in my top 5 fave cars of all time but have never driven one.
Back when my business was doing gangbusters I was shopping for one.
The cheapest "driver" on the market at the time was just under 400K.
I could have afforded it with a loan.... but passed while waiting to save $ to pay all cash. Then they took off in value.
A friend of mine and a guy I used to race Formula Mazdas against bought that car as a track rat.
I begged him to drive it but he always had an excuse.
I ALWAYS offered my 512BB to drive to any real enthusiast that actually knew what it was. The 512BB is my second favorite Ferrari and still have it. Vastly underappreciated but I dont make the market.
This fellow died a few years ago (young...lesson there) so that opportunity lost
But I DO know an online buddy in Houston with one that owes me a favor...or at least I think he does ;)
My dad had one of the last 512 BB produced. That car is awesome! I like it better than the F40, but almost all Ferrari enthusiasts put the F40 as one of their favorite cars. For whatever reason, the design never really connected with me. That 512 though, man I love it!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Have driven a handful but only modern ones. Tried to fit in an F355 but couldn’t, at least not comfortably. Had limited seat time in 360, F430 and 458. Scud is a car I still have interest in... the newer ones are not my cup of tea style-wise. Bit too busy.

4C is just as exciting as any of the regular series modern cars. The feel of being surrounded by exposed carbon fiber and the overall driving position / size of the car.

The real deals out there are the V12s which depreciate like bricks. Considered a 599 in the past but couldn’t get excited about it vs the V8 models - but heck of a value vs new! Just not sporty enough.

Personally I think you get 95% of the experience in the 4C with 5% of the stress. If I had unlimited funds or if I was okay having one sports car and rarely driving it, then the Ferrari option looks more enticing.

Awesome cars though and two of my favorite cars of all time are Ferraris (288GTO and F40). Not sure if I could fit in those too well mind you ...

·
Registered
172 Posts
I drove a 1990 348 and really loved it. The rev happy engine and the "click-clack" when shifting the gated manual were really awesome. It's handling reminded me a lot of the 4C. No power steering, very direct, and felt pretty lightweight. I know it's kind of the unloved midengined V8 Ferrari, but if prices stay reasonable it's probably the one I'd go for. Plus, it has the super cool (at least IMO) Testarossa-style side strakes. It does have the crazy expensive engine out service though. At least from what I've read they are cheaper to maintain than a 355 though.

Last summer I got to drive a 488 on a track. It was at Speedvegas, a track outside of Las Vegas where you can rent exotics and take them out on the track. I picked the package where you got to drive the 488 back to back with a Lamborghini Huracan, and honestly, was a little underwhelmed by the 488. It didn't feel as fun as the 4C. It felt a little numb and isolated. The Huracan, on the other hand, felt much more raw and alive. The 488 ended up putting down the faster lap time, but I had much more fun in the Lambo!

·
Registered
32 Posts
That is absolutely my experience with the 488. I did a 7.35 at Nurburgring in the 488 which to date is my fastest time however it was way down the list of the most enjoyable.
I am really getting bored with the horsepower and lap time war. If it kills feel, driver involvement as well as fun I don’t want it.
675LT has the best combination so far but I would still jump in a Caterham if I really want to have fun

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
That is absolutely my experience with the 488. I did a 7.35 at Nurburgring in the 488 which to date is my fastest time however it was way down the list of the most enjoyable.
I am really getting bored with the horsepower and lap time war. If it kills feel, driver involvement as well as fun I don’t want it.
675LT has the best combination so far but I would still jump in a Caterham if I really want to have fun
Is the Caterham that fun? I’m not a fan of the look, but this car has an amazing reputation

21 - 40 of 44 Posts