Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about an ECU for my stock 2015 spider. However, I have also been contemplating Alfaworks upgraded hybrid turbo and matched ECU package for what is essentially $4,000 after the core deposit is refunded. Has anyone here purchased and installed the turbo/ECU package from Alfaworks? Is it a big difference compared to an ECU only?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Not to be a d*ck... but save your $ and take your car to the track and drive the p*ss out of it. I just drove a fellow owners car on track that had just an ECU tune on it, I didn't even notice it. He had to tell me after the fact.... Now in all fairness, the dynamics between our cars are night and day and I was more focused on that feel/difference than noticing extra power from an ECU tune. Unless you are practically drifting the car around the corner, the turbo won't buy you much (unless you want straight line performance).

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,486 Posts
As John4C says....a tune will give you more straight line performance BUT on a track it won't do anywhere as much as upgrading brake pads, tires, suspension, etc. BUT most important and most bang for the buck is attending a performance driving school.

·
Super Moderator
10,415 Posts
I was thinking about an ECU for my stock 2015 spider. However, I have also been contemplating Alfaworks upgraded hybrid turbo and matched ECU package for what is essentially $4,000 after the core deposit is refunded. Has anyone here purchased and installed the turbo/ECU package from Alfaworks? Is it a big difference compared to an ECU only?
If you can tolerate JayEmm he did a review of a 4C (black) with a hybrid turbo and race ecu you might be interested in. That 4C belongs to a Forum member. Have a look for it. The review is six or so months old.
Edit: Found it....Try to enjoy it if possible....I couldn’t.

·
Registered
769 Posts
The hybrid turbo is good, but the ECU was awful. I've running EC P3 w/ the hybrid turbo for the last year. No idea if the ECU was able to take advantage of any benefits from the Turbo, but it drives great with the EC ECU. Toby from EC said the ECU would have no issues with the slightly larger turbo and be completely fine. No issues luckily and the car drives great. Not a fan of the race ECU.

Video below is with the race ECU and Turbo when I first put it in.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
As we have just released the kit almost no one but me has tried it and it uses the standard ECU not the race ECU. We spend around a year developing it and it makes a significant difference. To give you some idea a standard car takes around 7 seconds to get from 70mph to 100mph while the hybrid does it in around 5.1 seconds!

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
As we have just released the kit almost no one but me has tried it and it uses the standard ECU not the race ECU. We spend around a year developing it and it makes a significant difference. To give you some idea a standard car takes around 7 seconds to get from 70mph to 100mph while the hybrid does it in around 5.1 seconds!
How is this new kit different from the Hybrid Turbo that's been available for years now?

·
Registered
679 Posts
How is this new kit different from the Hybrid Turbo that's been available for years now?
Guessing the hard bits are the same. From the product page:

• STAGE 2 tune with a BOSCH ECU

Specs of upgraded turbo:
    • Compressor housing machined to suit larger wheels.
    • Larger K06 size compressor wheel.
    • Motorsport specification thrust bearing assembly.
    • Balanced to motorsport blueprints.
    • Original vacuum operated waste gate.
    • Uses standard Alfa Romeo engine ECU with maps to suit the turbo.
    • Outputs of 330hp

It has a revised launch control strategy, a raised rev limit. This is a plug and play component and has none of the boost pressure limits of the standard Alfa ECU. The kit comes with all the gaskets and oil lines needed to fit the turbo.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you can tolerate JayEmm he did a review of a 4C (black) with a hybrid turbo and race ecu you might be interested in. That 4C belongs to a Forum member. Have a look for it. The review is six or so months old.
In all honesty, getting in these type of cars are like in horse racing, You have to be as light as possible to enjoy the ride. I did watch this fellows report and found that while he went on about how he felt, he never talked about alignment, tire configuration, Having said the, for best handling you have to get it aligned with your weight equivalence on the driver seat. There are also some tricks on camber and caster for special handling and adaptation to the track. I didn't have enough time to experience auto crossing because I didn't have the time nor the money but I did get involved via proxy and listen to what they do with alignment.. Wings also play a factor when racing etc.. Having said that, I just love the way the car drives and handles as is. The looks are incredible sexy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have already watched it. That guy is a d*ck. I have seen several of his other videos. If it isnt a lotus he whines about every little thing. He is such a lotus homer he is impossible to take seriously.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How are the gains from a stop?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts