Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Basalt on Red Coupe, M3, ZHP
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 4c coupe. These four T40 bolts were sitting in a plastic baggy in the cupholder. Any idea what purpose they are designed to serve? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,835 Posts
Just got my 4c coupe. These four T40 bolts were sitting in a plastic baggy in the cupholder. Any idea what purpose they are designed to serve? Thanks!
Have a look at your seat mounts. Are there two screws in place or three on each side? If only two, that’s your answer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have a look at your seat mounts. Are there two screws in place or three on each side? If only two, that’s your answer.
Good point. Just looked in the cabin and around seats- nothing is missing or tampered with. Will keep looking around.

·
Super Moderator
8,835 Posts
Good point. Just looked in the cabin and around seats- nothing is missing or tampered with. Will keep looking around.
There should be three mounting screws used to adjust seat angle on each side of your seat (attached to its mounting plate). Some people who have increased seat angle have left off the middle screws.

·
Super Moderator
16,415 Posts
They are kind of big - check seat rail fastening the floor (two in front of each seat, two behind), and also where the seats attach to the rail bracket (three on each side of each seat).
And I see that Alfanut beat me to this as I was typing.
So, I'll add value by inserting a photo.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If not seat (which is what I expect), could be the aluminum plate that covers fuses in the passenger foot well? Been a while since I messed with that.

·
Registered
576 Posts
License plate?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Maybe the ones holding the lower lip of the passenger side alu foot rest plate? Cannot usually see them, you have to lift the carpet.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I think those are replacements for the ones that eventually tick and rattle loose that hold something behind the firewall panel. Just keep them until you find matching ones on the floor of your garage or somewhere else.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are kind of big - check seat rail fastening the floor (two in front of each seat, two behind), and also where the seats attach to the rail bracket (three on each side of each seat).
And I see that Alfanut beat me to this as I was typing.
So, I'll add value by inserting a photo.
So here is pic of what mine look like. On the one you provided, my center three holes are empty. I tried to thread in one of the bolts but I'm not hitting anything. Seems like empty holes though it does look like at some point there was a bolt there....unless the leather material is preventing access to the thread...definitely look like my "spare bolts" are same size as the ones in the seat bracket

·
Super Moderator
16,415 Posts
View attachment 116219

So here is pic of what mine look like. On the one you provided, my center three holes are empty. I tried to thread in one of the bolts but I'm not hitting anything. Seems like empty holes though it does look like at some point there was a bolt there....unless the leather material is preventing access to the thread...definitely look like my "spare bolts" are same size as the ones in the seat bracket
Mystery solved!

There is a retained nut in there behind the middle hole of the bracket, but the seats were never meant to be tilted like this so they may not line up. Mine did, with a little pushing and shoving. Others have drilled a new (or wider) centre hole in the bracket. Yet others have ignored (deleted) the centre screw as you have. Some people have gone for middle in front, bottom in rear (meaning no possible way of supporting the centre hole)

Alfa's intention was to have the seat level at one of the three heights. We've gone off label a bit with the tilting mod, which is more comfortable for some 4C drivers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mystery solved!

There is a retained nut in there behind the middle hole of the bracket, but the seats were never meant to be tilted like this so they may not line up. Mine did, with a little pushing and shoving. Others have drilled a new (or wider) centre hole in the bracket. Yet others have ignored (deleted) the centre screw as you have. Some people have gone for middle in front, bottom in rear (meaning no possible way of supporting the centre hole)

Alfa's intention was to have the seat level at one of the three heights. We've gone off label a bit with the tilting mod, which is more comfortable for some 4C drivers.
Good to go! I will leave it as it is now and see how I like the positioning. Thanks alot @4 Canada!

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,953 Posts
I ran with bottom front and rear and than tried highest front and bottom rear which does allow the center bolt to fit as I recall. But I didn't like that steep angle so went with middle front and bottom rear which meant for correct strength like stock, I drilled a new middle position for the middle. Unless you are fairly large I would think you could eliminate the middle bolt. I did for a while to test it out and than decided to do the middle but it is a lot more work. You have to remove the entire seat and dismantle the rails so you can drill the middle holes. Use LOTS of towels to keep from scratching the CF tub.Also be extremely careful replacing the bolts that hold the rail to the floor. They are fine thread and you don't want to strip them. Go slow and clean the threads very well and start the bolts with your fingers....don't try to force them in with a wrench. I found it a good idea to chase the threads with a metric tap.
I found the seating position to be far better for me. I didn't have the feeling I was sliding forward under had braking. I am about 6'1" and in the stock position I had the top of the dash screen cut off by the steering wheel. With the angled seat and more seat back tilt I can now easily see the entire display.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts