Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m hoping to buy a 4c, but I’ve never actually been in one. I keep hearing things about people struggling to fit, so I’d like to get inside one before I travel to buy mine. Can anyone around Birmingham, AL help me out?

·
Super Moderator
15,994 Posts
Struggling to fit? Really? Not a comment I’ve heard much of.

Well, two of my work colleagues are over 330 lbs / 6’-7”, and they’d never fit. For some of us, it might be a struggle to get into the low seating position over the wide sill. But it’s just a matter of technique.

Note that the passenger seat is a lot less roomy than the driver’s.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your perspective. After reading the height thread, I feel a lot better too. I had heard a few mentions then started searching for comments and I think I misjudged how common the issues are.

·
Super Moderator
15,994 Posts
Overall cabin heught is decent, even with a helmet.
Of course, it depends somewhat on whether your height comes from your legs or torso. There’s decent enough legroom, especially if you can tolerate a fairly upright driving position.

You will want to see how much of the tachometer you can view, and if the rearview mirror obstructs your view.

·
Registered
2015 Spider
71 Posts
I had the same concerns as I'm 6'3"/240. I have a spider and it's definitely easier to get in and out of with the roof off, but not impossible by any means. Ingress/egress can be a bit difficult due to the wide sills and low height, but again, nothing impossible. I couldn't find a 4c to sit in before buying mine and pulled the trigger on a 4 hr drive to purchase and have 0 regrets.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I’m hoping to buy a 4c, but I’ve never actually been in one. I keep hearing things about people struggling to fit, so I’d like to get inside one before I travel to buy mine. Can anyone around Birmingham, AL help me out?
Feel free to come and try mine out - but first, how would you define "around Birmingham"?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

Well, two of my work colleagues are over 330 lbs / 6’-7”
Hmmmm.....you work in the Construction Business....and have multiple colleagues at 6'7" and +330lbs....guessing all your receivables are up to date? :ROFLMAO: 🙃:D

·
Registered
232 Posts

Well, two of my work colleagues are over 330 lbs / 6’-7”, and they’d never fit. For some of us, it might be a struggle to get into the low seating position over the wide sill. But it’s just a matter of technique.

Note that the passenger seat is a lot less roomy than the driver’s.

Good luck!
Wait a minute now... I'm 6'3" and weigh about 310 and I don't have any issues with getting in or out as long as I can open the door all the way.

Well, I do have a problem getting out but it has nothing to do with size or age. I just don't wanna...:p

·
Super Moderator
15,994 Posts
Wait a minute now... I'm 6'3" and weigh about 310 and I don't have any issues with getting in or out as long as I can open the door all the way.

Well, I do have a problem getting out but it has nothing to do with size or age. I just don't wanna...:p
I hear you about not wanting to get out. I so much want to get back in mine now (but... winter).

As for size, I suggest that somewhere between your height/weight and that of my colleagues, the car changes from a vehicle you "drive" to one you "wear". :D

But seriously, keep in mind that the GVWR of the 4C is something like 2,840lbs. That's the maximum weight of car, occupants, fuel and cargo. Considering that the empty weight of the car in NAFTA trim is around 2,450lbs, that leaves only 390 lbs for everything else (driver, passenger, gas, and whatever fits in the trunk)!

·
Super Moderator
15,994 Posts
Hmmmm.....you work in the Construction Business....and have multiple colleagues at 6'7" and +330lbs....guessing all your receivables are up to date? :ROFLMAO: 🙃:D
Actually, one is the head of IT. Surprising how few help desk inquiries get called in at our office. And it's never a problem for me to wait weeks for a new computer!
No SIR, I'm not complaining!
:D :LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
539 Posts
I do highly recommend those who have never been in a 4C and are looking to purchase, to try and find one nearby to check out. Fitting and being comfortable are always subjective to each individual. I've had people "fit" in the car, but they are not comfortable and feel claustrophobic. Also as mentioned, ingress and egress of the car can be challenge depending on the individual so it's always good to be able to test those things out to see how they work "for you".

·
Registered
244 Posts
I do highly recommend those who have never been in a 4C and are looking to purchase, to try and find one nearby to check out. Fitting and being comfortable are always subjective to each individual. I've had people "fit" in the car, but they are not comfortable and feel claustrophobic. Also as mentioned, ingress and egress of the car can be challenge depending on the individual so it's always good to be able to test those things out to see how they work "for you".
I'm 5ft 6in and 160lbs and due to ankle surgery I have issues getting into and out of the car. And with my weird proportions and long arms, I have issues seeing the top of the instrument cluster. (Granted, I have yet to fiddle with the seat and cluster bolts.)

So there's no real way to know what the experience is like until you fall into the car as elegantly as possible.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,720 Posts
A good part of the decision is your fitness. I am 73 years old and 155+# and just a bit over 6' tall. I have no problem getting in or out of the drivers side but I am in excellent shape. You do develop the "technic" to get in and out....right foot in first twist and drop in seat and than pull left leg in. To get out reverse. The first time it will feel awkward....after that a piece of cake. I do agree that the passenger side is a bit more cramped but not bad. My wife and adult kids love going with me. There are a lot of other cars that are much worse getting in and out....like Lotus Elise and Exige which also are much more cramped. Once inside the 4C is pretty roomy.
I do recommend finding one to sit in but MORE important to go for a ride in it. The car is a sports car with firmer suspension and is noisy due to lack of sound insulation, loud exhaust, etc. It is a true drivers car but may be a bit more severe than you would be comfortable with over the long haul. But if you want a car that will give you reasons to drive and put one hell of a smile on your face, you won't find a more satisfying car.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm not sure if people mentioned this before but one issue that a few of my friends told me after sitting in my car is that they cannot see the top of the screen/tachometer because it's blocked by the steering wheel. I don't have this issue because I'm tiny but I can see how that would be annoying

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm 6'4 but 170lbs so imagine a tooth pick. I've gotten some good chuckles form people when I get in and out of the car.
Also being 27 helps. So my body isn't in pain all the time quite yet and I can move freely

Spider REALLY helps for tall people.

I slouch when I drive so I can see most of the tach/screen

1 - 20 of 22 Posts