Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
It's well known that driving convertibles at speed can lead to hearing loss and tinnitus, from the buffeting as much as anything. Google it if interested.
I've had convertibles continually since my first car and have shot a lot of guns (using hearing protection with rare exceptions) and I have tinnitus, sounds like crickets in the woods. I've learned to live with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, i'm wearing 36db foam ear plugs from Hema (Belgium) . I do need them for the 4C and driving my motorcycle. I can not stand the sound from the wind in my helmet. For me it's really sound related. The 4C exhaust sound is to high pitchy for me now. Also can not rev my motorcycle and stand next to it without a helmet (open cans) Festivals i can not stand in front of the speakers anymore without plugs. I did love to feel the metal...Do'nt think it's fuel pump related for me.... I'm not 100 % sure.....
I'm about 99% sure it's this extremely high frequency whining sound.

I've sat in car with earplugs in, idle for 30 min, with new quiet exhaust at ~76db exterior idle, and even reving the engine interior only reaching 89-91db or so, as soon as the whine gets more intense with the fuel pump, at that exact moment my inner ear tinnitus start to harmonize with that pitch, which the exact same exact eeeeeeeeee pitch as the fuel pump, as some others have talked about.

I'm not trying to be a wimp, it seriously disabled me. I'd rather take broken bones then, a piercing gun shot sound in your head.

Alfa, please figure this out. It's no joke.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's well known that driving convertibles at speed can lead to hearing loss and tinnitus, from the buffeting as much as anything. Google it if interested.
I've had convertibles continually since my first car and have shot a lot of guns (using hearing protection with rare exceptions) and I have tinnitus, sounds like crickets in the woods. I've learned to live with it.
I Agreed with you, convertible driving and motorcycles without wearing foam ear protection, can cause tinnitus.
Mostly I drive now less plugs in, and less than 20-30 min, with top closed, and ear protection in, which I think, is not legal in all states.

Yesterday I installed some insert baffles into exhaust to further silence it, to quadruple check now, the exhaust or road noise was not the issue making my ears ring.

After 10 min drive to gym and 10 min back, slow speeds 25-35mph, even though my interior DB meter didn't exceed 89db, my ears are ringing, today badly and I took like 4 months off driving the car when I was overseas.

My decibel reader is not showing anything that loud that's above 95-97db inside the car, but this whine sound is probably emitting a damaging frequency.

At least in my case, and some others, it's very suspicious the exact whine sound frequency emitting from the engine, is the exact one inside my head. And the fact, 4 months away from it, I had improved, and one drive, it's back to screaming inner ear.

For sure wear ear plugs, until Alfa can help

·
Super Moderator
11,547 Posts
Now, i'm the proud owner for 1 year tinnitus :)
I’ve had it for years but it got noticeably worse about 10 years ago.
My theory is my coffee drinking might have something to do with it as well... but blood pressure is fine. The earplugs I use allow you to hear sirens so may not stop the really high frequency sounds. I haven’t tried them with my 4C. Next time I’m out in it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’ve had it for years but it got noticeably worse about 10 years ago.
My theory is my coffee drinking might have something to do with it as well... but blood pressure is fine. The earplugs I use allow you to hear sirens so may not stop the really high frequency sounds. I haven’t tried them with my 4C. Next time I’m out in it.
Hi Guys,

Okay quick update.

Pretty much confirmed, for sure it's some kind of whine from the engine bay, harmonics, harmonizing with inner ear. If someone has an excellent frequency analyzer, let's all do some tests.

I've removed all other variables, exhaust and road noise, db. and even with 32db ear plugs.

This exact same whine sound pitch, is the exact sound and pitch of the Tinnitus, and it exactly gets louder in my head, as I accelerate. It's no coincidence. Zero chance. With 32 db earplugs in. I can go to a concert, without ear plugs, or with ear plugs, my ears don't ring like this, for days after.

I will have Alfa check the whine also today.

I want to isolate and dampen this sound, and then run the test again.

Does anyone know exactly where the fuel pump is in the engine bay or experienced Alfa replacing it and sound went down?

Kind regards,

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Hi Guys,

Okay quick update.

Pretty much confirmed, for sure it's some kind of whine from the engine bay, harmonics, harmonizing with inner ear. If someone has an excellent frequency analyzer, let's all do some tests.

I've removed all other variables, exhaust and road noise, db. and even with 32db ear plugs.

This exact same whine sound pitch, is the exact sound and pitch of the Tinnitus, and it exactly gets louder in my head, as I accelerate. It's no coincidence. Zero chance. With 32 db earplugs in. I can go to a concert, without ear plugs, or with ear plugs, my ears don't ring like this, for days after.

I will have Alfa check the whine also today.

I want to isolate and dampen this sound, and then run the test again.

Does anyone know exactly where the fuel pump is in the engine bay or experienced Alfa replacing it and sound went down?

Kind regards,
Hello, has nothing to do with the fuel pump, but race exhaust related...Maybe you can use something ot of this post?

·
Super Moderator
11,547 Posts
A cheap experiment would be to buy an Alfaworks Quicksilver Helmholtz exhaust and see if that doesn’t cure it. One member who I took for a short ride thought it too quiet in the cabin for his liking....road noise being the dominant sound on that particular coarse gravel surface. The exhaust is relatively cheap, great quality, easy to fit and if you don’t like it will be easy to sell. Try it.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Yes, i did develop tinnitus from my 4C spider. I hated the car for it... Now i learn to live with my tinnitus. Victoria posted a few years back from her experience.
Always had loud cars: eaton chargde opel speedster 2.2, turbo charged opel speedster 2.2 and a 2.0 turbocharged 400 hp opel speedster, Lotus elise s, evo x and a couple of bikes ; cbr 1000,sv 1000, bandit 400/1200/1250, gsr 600. And listen to loud metal music.....NEVER had ANY issues with my hearing. But the 4c killed my hearing. I can assure you, tinnitus is for it's first month's a LIVING HELL!!!! I contacted Alfanut for some info about the Quicksilver exhaust .

Sorry for my first post like this, need to introduce myself in a proper way but i could not resist to answer this post. I had to change my life for this car....... now everything is fine. I do wear foam earplugs and still listen to my metal music and drive bikes.....
Have you tried gel plugs that can conform to the precise shape of your ear? I’ve found the ones mentioned above are better than foam, at least for my condition.
Yes, i did develop tinnitus from my 4C spider. I hated the car for it... Now i learn to live with my tinnitus. Victoria posted a few years back from her experience.
Always had loud cars: eaton chargde opel speedster 2.2, turbo charged opel speedster 2.2 and a 2.0 turbocharged 400 hp opel speedster, Lotus elise s, evo x and a couple of bikes ; cbr 1000,sv 1000, bandit 400/1200/1250, gsr 600. And listen to loud metal music.....NEVER had ANY issues with my hearing. But the 4c killed my hearing. I can assure you, tinnitus is for it's first month's a LIVING HELL!!!! I contacted Alfanut for some info about the Quicksilver exhaust .

Sorry for my first post like this, need to introduce myself in a proper way but i could not resist to answer this post. I had to change my life for this car....... now everything is fine. I do wear foam earplugs and still listen to my metal music and drive bikes.....
I went to see Blondie in concert last week at Nottingham, I was in love with her when I was young lad, I was expecting a lovely concert, but when the support band started (Jonny Marr from the Smiths, you know 'hang the DJ ' ) I knew I was in trouble. We were near the huge speakers in a 10k seat stadium. The noise was huge, immense! Not only my ears but my chest, my trousers were vibrating 😂 I ended up rolling toilet tissue into my ears as plugs, I went to the toilet and it was mental in there, wet floors so I was on tip toes with tissues hanging out my ears trying to pee, it was like Mr bean ! So the 4C is much quieter than a pop concert, poor Blondie she was 77 and not how I remembered her.

·
Super Moderator
11,547 Posts
I went to see Blondie in concert last week at Nottingham, I was in love with her when I was young lad, I was expecting a lovely concert, but when the support band started (Jonny Marr from the Smiths, you know 'hang the DJ ' ) I knew I was in trouble. We were near the huge speakers in a 10k seat stadium. The noise was huge, immense! Not only my ears but my chest, my trousers were vibrating 😂 I ended up rolling toilet tissue into my ears as plugs, I went to the toilet and it was mental in there, wet floors so I was on tip toes with tissues hanging out my ears trying to pee, it was like Mr bean ! So the 4C is much quieter than a pop concert, poor Blondie she was 77 and not how I remembered her.
That ringing in your ears after a concert, for some of us, never goes away. Hope your hearing wasn’t damaged Goldmax.

·
Super Moderator
11,547 Posts
@Victoria, have you resolved the high pitched whining or have you sold your 4C? It’s been over two years since last seen on the forum so chances are it was the latter. Feed-back appreciated….umm…maybe a poor choice of words.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts