Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know it seems kinda crappy but honestly I think they did you a favor. You should be able to find a better car for a similar price. I don't think the white one was well maintained. Best of luck!

·
Registered
95 Posts
That sucks....they really should have suggested you put a deposit pending your inspection. 4Cs sell FAST lately and there is such limited inventory, if you find a good one you need to grab it.
Have you seen this? (in Arizona) but looks to be a very good deal (I have no idea why someone hasn't grabbed it yet!!) 1 year older but much lower miles:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with Matt. Be patient. It was obviously not meant to be and for the best.

I know it seems kinda crappy but honestly I think they did you a favor. You should be able to find a better car for a similar price. I don't think the white one was well maintained. Best of luck!

·
Super Moderator
14,886 Posts
Update: they've apparently sold the car or at least taken a deposit on it. I'm pissed. I was willing to drive up last weekend to look at the car but it was their suggestion that i wait until all the repairs were done. was never even told that i had the option of leaving a deposit so that the car could be taken off the listing. Even more upset because there was a pristine E46 M3 for sale near me that I hesitated on because the 4C was my first option. That car sold this past weekend.
I replied on your other thread, but be prepared to lose a few if you wait. It is entirely reasonable to wait, but realize that there is more demand than supply anymore. If you find a spec and deal you want, you will have to be prepared to move.

And DON'T buy a BMW on the rebound. You'll never forgive yourself!!!

·
Registered
812 Posts
I replied on your other thread, but be prepared to lose a few if you wait. It is entirely reasonable to wait, but realize that there is more demand than supply anymore. If you find a spec and deal you want, you will have to be prepared to move.

And DON'T buy a BMW on the rebound. You'll never forgive yourself!!!
Agree (i think lol) with demand climbing over the slimming supply.
As for e46 m3, I had a gorgeous gray convertible from new....eh...... Car did everything very well....but was no where near as engaging as the c32 that preceded it nor the 996 Targa which was its stablemate. I found I had to really 'push' it to get it going and at that point I felt it was way more geared to Autobahn than the 400 series (or other N/A) highways which I drive.

·
Registered
469 Posts
These are just general comments so take no offense but we call dealerships "stealerships" and dealers say "buyers are liars". I have a buddy in the business and he says the general sentiment in the car selling game is that enthusiasts are the worst kind of customer - always worried about every little flaw, want a million extra pictures and generally eat time. I recognize those traits in myself... Meanwhile some non enthusiast walks in and says "that car is sweet, I'll take it!" It's so common there is an article in Road & Track on the subject:

Why the Average New-Car Dealership Hates Selling to Enthusiasts

I'm not surprised they took money from the first person to say the magic words and I also think they did you a favor - you'll find a better car if you're patient.

·
Registered
355 Posts
That's a bummer. Unfortunately, with vehicles that are limited; sometimes you have to take a leap of faith quickly if it's something you really want.

·
Registered
59 Posts
These are just general comments so take no offense but we call dealerships "stealerships" and dealers say "buyers are liars". I have a buddy in the business and he says the general sentiment in the car selling game is that enthusiasts are the worst kind of customer - always worried about every little flaw, want a million extra pictures and generally eat time. I recognize those traits in myself... Meanwhile some non enthusiast walks in and says "that car is sweet, I'll take it!" It's so common there is an article in Road & Track on the subject:

Why the Average New-Car Dealership Hates Selling to Enthusiasts

I'm not surprised they took money from the first person to say the magic words and I also think they did you a favor - you'll find a better car if you're patient.
In general car salespeople have become very lazy.
They put something on the internet and then they sit back waiting for an email, a text, or a phone call.
That isn't "sales."
Well its maybe the foundation of sales but it should go way beyond that.
If I sold cars especially a higher line of car I would expect to provide nothing short of HONEST walkarounds and as many pictures as the inquiry desires. Answer questions, provide expert advice, such as lets get a deposit down to hold this car to give you an opportunity to view it. If you dont want the car we will give your money back but this will hold the car until you get a look.
Sales 101.
Heaven forbid a potential buyer makes them do a little bit of work for their money.
I remember when I was a kid and went with my dad to dealerships. They would line up the car he was interested in and have cars with different colors, different options all ready for him when he got there.
After the sale they would call him from time to time to make sure he was happy.
Those days are long gone.
Post a few pics up on the internet and sit back and wait for an email.
The other new norm.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I meant to add that anyone buying a 4C is almost by default an enthusiast, the design of the car demands it.

I don't suppose buying anything these days is similar to when you or I were kids...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I meant to add that anyone buying a 4C is almost by default an enthusiast, the design of the car demands it.

I don't suppose buying anything these days is similar to when you or I were kids...
I didn't mean to imply you did anything wrong or I have issue with anything you said.
I was just expanding on your post.
Forgive me if it came across against you.
Not my intention.
Just me rambling on about some of my observations of "sales" techniques I have experienced at most dealerships.
Some of your specialty used cars dealerships are pretty good and they get it.
Most dont.

·
Super Moderator
14,886 Posts

Right on both counts.

I buy a lot of different things (including vehicles) as part of my job. It's like pulling teeth to get salesmen to return your call (and this has been the case for years now). It's almost like I'm bothering them.

And vehicles - yeah, I'll buy a half dozen vans or pickups sight unseen on a phone call (new, if the price is right and the equipment is as desired). I've even told one guy "mix the colours up whatever way you want" once. Not exactly the way I would go 4C shopping! LOL

·
Registered
469 Posts
I didn't mean to imply you did anything wrong or I have issue with anything you said.
I was just expanding on your post.
Forgive me if it came across against you.
Not my intention.
Just me rambling on about some of my observations of "sales" techniques I have experienced at most dealerships.
Some of your specialty used cars dealerships are pretty good and they get it.
Most dont.
I took no offense and agree with your thoughts. I believe in general most car salespeople have learned to let the internet sell cars for them. Those that go out of their way to provide what we'd consider a proper level of service are now outliers and likely do very well against their lax competition. My own nieces and nephews (ages 21 to 28) were raised to be hard workers and they really shine when competing with their peer groups.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I actually like the smoke headlights. What’s rice about it?
Doesn't "rice" imply a mod that serves no practical purpose or even detracts from factory function but "looks cool"? If that is the accepted definition then tinting your friggin headlights so as to make them look cool but be less usable in the dark is the whole bag of rice with a side of soy.
I'm willing to come clean and identify myself as a hypocrite / ricer ;), since my 4C and my last car both had tinted lighting.

In fact, my 4C has tinted PPF on the headlights -- However I think whatever % tint they put on that particular 4C is too dark for driving at night (hence the "rice"). Now my cannonball record days are behind me, but when I had 25% tint on my 4C headlights, I was outdriving the lights even at 40mph. It also hid the details that make the 4C headlights awesome (CF bits, 4C logo, etc). I tore them off a few days later and went to 50% tint, now I can comfortably drive on the freeway at night. (y)

--- 25% ---

--- 50% ---

--- 50% vs Stock ---

My BRZ had tinted tail lights, but the LEDs were so bright the lights were still extremely visible during the day.

To each their own! :whistle:

·
Super Moderator
14,886 Posts
Lamin-X has been offering light films of varying shades for years.
There is no kit for our cars, but you can cut it to fit.
4C headlights are a bit of a pain to DIY wrap, but some time and patience and you'll do a decent job. Or get a pro to install.

Curious if anyone knows: Will any (even clear) film over the headlights prevent the plastic from yellowing?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I like the 50% film on the headlights. What kind of film is that?? A PPF?
It is XPEL Tinted PPF made for lights

There is no kit for our cars, but you can cut it to fit.
4C headlights are a bit of a pain to DIY wrap, but some time and patience and you'll do a decent job. Or get a pro to install.

Curious if anyone knows: Will any (even clear) film over the headlights prevent the plastic from yellowing?
My installer used a computer cut template from XPEL and it worked on my headlights. They offer UV protection, so it should stop the yellowing. :)

·
Registered
812 Posts
I've had clear on my headlights for several years and it still looks "new"....may find out next year if I decide to darken them a bit :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Did you see the 17,000 mile white coupe in the classifieds section? Seems like a great deal to me all things considered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update: they've apparently sold the car or at least taken a deposit on it. I'm pissed. I was willing to drive up last weekend to look at the car but it was their suggestion that i wait until all the repairs were done. was never even told that i had the option of leaving a deposit so that the car could be taken off the listing. Even more upset because there was a pristine E46 M3 for sale near me that I hesitated on because the 4C was my first option. That car sold this past weekend.
I have an E46 M3 and a 4C... Don't be upset about missing out on M3: I think it is a great car, but 4c is just special.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts