Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
The passenger side sits flush but look at the gap on the drivers side.
I think it just happened because it wasn't like that before.
I adjusted the rubber stopper and I got it down a tad but still a gap.
Looks like the trunk isnt closed all the way.
Suggestions?
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1969 spider 2016 4c spider 2020 stelvio TI
178 Posts
look also on rubber seal around trunk maybe loose tuck it

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
This seems to be a spider issue, as the prop rod sits off to the left when in use, whereas the coupe the prop rod is centered when holding the engine cover up.

Did anyone give it hard pull down while the prop rod was in place?

If not damage, the rubber around the opening is quite thick and can throw things off if not attached well.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,601 Posts
Did you have the rear quarter panel off at one point? There is adjustability in the positioning of the various panels and perhaps that quarter panel, if removed, wasn't put back in the correct alignment.
Be VERY careful to not slam the engine cover down or try to tweak the various panels by forcing adjustments. If you do you can have issues with the trunk closed sensor that is located in the latch mechanism. That shows up as an Engine Cover Not Closed warning even though it is. If that contact gets torqued you have to mess with the mechanism and grind off the metal making contact. Not a big deal but a PITA. I know of at least two people that had issues with that....I was one of them.
The trick when removing panels is to first put a few strips of blue painters tape across the cut lines and slit the seam to remove the panel. When it goes back use the painters tape to assist in lining everything up....thanks to DocRon for this tip.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, the panel hasn't been off, Im pretty sure, and the quarter panel itself is aligned perfectly.
Its weird because it wasn't like that last time I washed it last week.
Im surprised there is no adjustment on the lock mechanism.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have the coupe. Had what looks to be the same problem. On the left side of the trunk, the rubber trunk seal was just a little higher than the right side. I tried to push the seal downward because I thought that the seal was riding too high on the trunk edge and prevented the lid from lowering completely. Could not position the seal any lower. Removed the rubber seal from the trunk and and closed the trunk. The trunk lid now lined up perfectly on both the left & right side. Took a close look at the top edges of the trunk on both the left & right side. The left side was higher than the right, so the seal did ride higher on the left side.
I took a wood rasp ( it's kind of like a file but much more coarse) and filed down that left top edge. This lowered the edge enough to allow the the rubber seal to sit lower. This solved my trunk lid alignment problem. Not that you would ever see that filed down edge, because it is covered by the rubber seal, but it is a neater cut than is on the right side.
If you try this make sure that you apply a piece of masking tape on the painted edge of fender. And then tape over that with 3 or 4 layers of thick duct tape to prevent marring the paint.
If you want you could take the rubber seal off, then take some clay ,like children's play dough. place it on the top edge of the trunk . Then slowly close the lid, open it, take a thin nail or pin and press it into the clay and measure the thickness. If the left side measures less than the right side you may have found your problem.
Are you sure that this was not misaligned from day one ? Mine was, I just did not notice it until after I had the car for a few weeks.
Good Luck !

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the coupe. Had what looks to be the same problem. On the left side of the trunk, the rubber trunk seal was just a little higher than the right side. I tried to push the seal downward because I thought that the seal was riding too high on the trunk edge and prevented the lid from lowering completely. Could not position the seal any lower. Removed the rubber seal from the trunk and and closed the trunk. The trunk lid now lined up perfectly on both the left & right side. Took a close look at the top edges of the trunk on both the left & right side. The left side was higher than the right, so the seal did ride higher on the left side.
I took a wood rasp ( it's kind of like a file but much more coarse) and filed down that left top edge. This lowered the edge enough to allow the the rubber seal to sit lower. This solved my trunk lid alignment problem. Not that you would ever see that filed down edge, because it is covered by the rubber seal, but it is a neater cut than is on the right side.
If you try this make sure that you apply a piece of masking tape on the painted edge of fender. And then tape over that with 3 or 4 layers of thick duct tape to prevent marring the paint.
If you want you could take the rubber seal off, then take some clay ,like children's play dough. place it on the top edge of the trunk . Then slowly close the lid, open it, take a thin nail or pin and press it into the clay and measure the thickness. If the left side measures less than the right side you may have found your problem.
Are you sure that this was not misaligned from day one ? Mine was, I just did not notice it until after I had the car for a few weeks.
Good Luck !
I was thinking of shaving that rubber bumper thing.
I screwed in the bumper thing and it made a slight difference. Still kinda looks like its not closed all the way.
I think it just started because Ive washed and spray waxed the car several times in the month or so Ive had it and I would have noticed.
All in all its not toooo bad now but I might take the rubber bumper off and see if I can shave the deck lid side.
Its not a big deal I guess

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked my pics when I first got the car and it looked about the same, so I think its just the way the car was assembled.

·
Registered
2018 4C, 2017 Giulia Ti, 1991 Spider Veloce
100 Posts
I checked my pics when I first got the car and it looked about the same, so I think its just the way the car was assembled.
Did you ever resolve this? Just saw this thread, so apologies for the late input. My 2018 spider had similar misfit. I was able to get it adjusted by the dealer under warranty. It fits properly now. Philster is possibly onto something re: Spider vs. Coupe. Now that mine is corrected, if I prop the cover for anything other than quick access I usually use a second temporary prop on the passenger side. An light weight extendable mop or brush handle in the corner of the trunk and into a recess spot on the underside of the cover works well. Adjust to just enough length to take roughly half the weight off the driver side. I often prop the cover after driving to allow things to cool and wonder if the misfit issue could be heat combined with propping causing the cover to warp slightly. 🤷‍♂️

1 - 10 of 10 Posts