Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
I’d move house. If the average lifespan is 84 years you’re only enjoying about 28 of them, and that figure is optimistic.
Good point. I was brought up in Alaska. You might as well be dead there during the winters. Limited sunlight. You just "survived" during the winters. Not much to do but drink and eat and work.

Alaska is beautiful in the summers, but that just doesn't make up for the winters. That's why I'm in Arizona now. Year-round activities. I can always visit Alaska in the summers.

Reactions: 4Canada

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
I’ve just worked out mine more precisely. 2000 miles per year for 18 months I’ve had her.
I expect to do about the same in future but less on the road going to Autotorque and Alfaworks for mods and tuning and more at the local track.
These first 3000 were familiarising myself with the 4C, solving things I had issues with and getting the car places to get work done. The next 3000 will be more exciting.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I’ve just worked out mine more precisely. 2000 miles per year for 18 months I’ve had her.
I expect to do about the same in future but less on the road going to Autotorque and Alfaworks for mods and tuning and more at the local track.
These first 3000 were familiarising myself with the 4C, solving things I had issues with and getting the car places to get work done. The next 3000 will more exciting.
I've owned mine for about 3 years and done 10k miles. It has changed my outlook on life as I just love having something like this to drive around and enjoy. You feel like you have something special and individual. The 4C had allowed us to own a car similar to a Ferrari or McLaren for a third of the price. How many of us would have had this experience without Alfa bringing us the 4C ? I'm on 3k a year but I would like to enjoy more days out with my wife in it touring and stopping for picnics etc, then maybe try a track day soon, best of both worlds .

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,708 Posts
According to my fuel app, I last filled up on Sept 4th…..2020…and there’s still 1/4 tank left.

I need to get out more.
That gas is probably really bad by now! I would worry about that and make sure to get rid of it and put fresh gas in.

·
Super Moderator
11,547 Posts
According to my fuel app, I last filled up on Sept 4th…..2020…and there’s still 1/4 tank left.

I need to get out more.
Surely there’s somewhere you can drive your 4C in Victoria without fear of being booked? Rotting fuel in your tank can’t be good for it. I’d be having a look in the mirror and talk to the person in charge of your situation.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You guys put ideas in my head... Now I really want to revive the 4c, after 6 months of sleep. Last year I tried but wasn't able to let the engine turn a couple of times before firing up, to build up oil pressure. It started pretty much immediately. Is there a recommended false-start procedure?

·
Administrator
18,504 Posts
You guys put ideas in my head... Now I really want to revive the 4c, after 6 months of sleep. Last year I tried but wasn't able to let the engine turn a couple of times before firing up, to build up oil pressure. It started pretty much immediately. Is there a recommended false-start procedure?
I think you pretty much have to just brace yourself and hope for the best.
But I know what you mean. A dry start after sitting for months is never a great feeling.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Canton Accusump is an option. You can set them up to pre oil before cranking AND post oil after you turn off. These times are when most wear occurs.
While you are driving, it provides a reserve of oil at pressure should you uncover the pickup on a turn.
Automotive lighting Material property Font Magenta Technology

Pre oiling gets that film of oil between bearings and journals before they move against each other. The post oiling means your turbo still has oil pressure while it’s still spinning after you shut down the engine.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think you pretty much have to just brace yourself and hope for the best.
But I know what you mean. A dry start after sitting for months is never a great feeling.
I used to unplug a fuse in my previous BMW, which would allow for the engine to turn with no spark. That car would also sit around for longer periods of time. The 4C is electronically way more complicated than my BMW was! I'll maybe simply try my luck and hope I can turn the engine over a couple of times before it igniting.

Canton Accusump is an option. You can set them up to pre oil before cranking AND post oil after you turn off. These times are when most wear occurs.
While you are driving, it provides a reserve of oil at pressure should you uncover the pickup on a turn.
View attachment 128585
Pre oiling gets that film of oil between bearings and journals before they move against each other. The post oiling means your turbo still has oil pressure while it’s still spinning after you shut down the engine.
I did not know such products existed for road cars, I am more used to see them in marine environments. Thank you for showing me something I wasn't aware of!
It looks to me though as if a lot of work would be involved in purchasing and installing these things... Maybe next year!

I also wanted to finally adjust the tilt of the seat, but was already stuck at the very beginning. How do you remove the rear Torx bolts holding the seat rails to the tub? There is a couple of inches between them and the lower side of the back rests, I couldn't fit any kind of tool in there, let alone exercise any strength to unscrew the bolt!

·
Administrator
18,504 Posts
I used to unplug a fuse in my previous BMW, which would allow for the engine to turn with no spark. That car would also sit around for longer periods of time. The 4C is electronically way more complicated than my BMW was! I'll maybe simply try my luck and hope I can turn the engine over a couple of times before it igniting.

I did not know such products existed for road cars, I am more used to see them in marine environments. Thank you for showing me something I wasn't aware of!
It looks to me though as if a lot of work would be involved in purchasing and installing these things... Maybe next year!

I also wanted to finally adjust the tilt of the seat, but was already stuck at the very beginning. How do you remove the rear Torx bolts holding the seat rails to the tub? There is a couple of inches between them and the lower side of the back rests, I couldn't fit any kind of tool in there, let alone exercise any strength to unscrew the bolt!
When you slide the seat all the way forward, you should be able to get a socket with Torx bit on them. There is less room after you’ve tilted the seat.

·
Registered
124 Posts
7k miles a year. Have 30k on the odometer. Seems like that is quite respectable in this community.

All of these are twisty miles... not a commuter.

Confession, I live in all year great! weather state of California.. so per month I average the same as the folks in Canada ;-)

·
Super Moderator
11,547 Posts
7k miles a year. Have 30k on the odometer. Seems like that is quite respectable in this community.

Confession, I live in all year great! weather state of California.. so per month I average the same as the folks in Canada ;-)
These other people who seem proud of how little they drive it.....Hopefully they’ll wake up. Great to read of you enjoying yours.

·
Registered
2018 4C Spider
23 Posts
Odometer at 5,600 miles. It is a 2018 that I bought new on April, 30, 2019 (had about 300 dealer miles on it). So average 1,800 per year.
Only 1,005 last year - retired now so expect to increase usage (especially since my golf clubs fit on passenger side).

41 - 60 of 78 Posts