Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
These other people who seem proud of how little they drive it.....Hopefully they’ll wake up. Great to read of you enjoying yours.
I was always asking myself how they keep those engine bay's so clean when i saw a picture from a members car..:unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: Alfanut

·
Registered
69 Posts
I’ve owned mine just over a year now. Just got her out of storage a week ago since I am also in a state with crazy winters. Driving back from storage, the odometer hit 800 miles. I know, I know…I need to drive it more. Fact is I’m at the barn almost every day with my horse and once I saw one of the barn cats sitting on the hood of someone’s car I said nope! Not driving it here…🙀🏎🙀

·
Registered
924 Posts
These other people who seem proud of how little they drive it.....Hopefully they’ll wake up. Great to read of you enjoying yours.
Has nothing to do about being proud. Reality of life and choices for most of us. I'm sure there are those that are "saving" their 4Cs for resale. That's their decision. For the rest of us ....including myself .... I drive my 4C when the situation calls for it. I have 3 other vehicle options. I don't DD my 4C. I don't take my 4C to the golf course where it will sit out in the 110 degree Arizona heat. I don't take my 4C offroading in the desert. My 4C is a weekend car.

Reactions: caemca and 4Canada

·
Super Moderator
11,547 Posts
Has nothing to do about being proud. Reality of life and choices for most of us. I'm sure there are those that are "saving" their 4Cs for resale. That's their decision. For the rest of us ....including myself .... I drive my 4C when the situation calls for it. I have 3 other vehicle options. I don't DD my 4C. I don't take my 4C to the golf course where it will sit out in the 110 degree Arizona heat. I don't take my 4C offroading in the desert. My 4C is a weekend car.
Then expressing a little remorse at not being able to drive it might be adviseable otherwise people are likely to come to their own conclusion. I don’t drive my 4C as a daily either. But some driving less than 1000 miles in a year sounds like they’re justifying excuses not to to drive it…which then leads to problems associated with lack of use and practise. Very pleased you’re not proud of how little you drive your 4C if that’s the case. My statement was obviously not directed at you. Life is short. Enjoy your 4C.

·
Premium Member
3,101 Posts
Then expressing a little remorse at not being able to drive it might be adviseable otherwise people are likely to come to their own conclusion. I don’t drive my 4C as a daily either. But some driving less than 1000 miles in a year sounds like they’re justifying excuses not to to drive it…which then leads to problems associated with lack of use and practise. Very pleased you’re not not proud of how little you drive your 4C if that’s the case. My statement was obviously not directed at you. Life is short. Enjoy your 4C.
I’m not sure I see anyone expressing pride at how little they drive the car.

I also think you need to account for where people live. My best case is a 7 month season. I’ve have averaged 2,100 miles per year since I acquired my first 4C 3/6/16 (that’s precise, I track it, lol). That’s 300 miles per month. I am also 37 and work 50-80 hours per week.

You had a down year in 2021 as well but you said your good years you average 6k km, or 3,600 miles. IIRC you live where you can drive year round so it’s the identical 300 miles a month I do. IIRC you are also retired (I’m jealous) so why aren’t you driving it more?

I’m not trying to pick on you, btw. I’m not sure I agree that people are proud of how little they drive, though. I am a big fan of yours actually, so please don’t take it personally. I’m just trying to make the point that a lot of this is contextual and simply saying a # of miles doesn’t tell the whole story…

·
Registered
194 Posts
Bought my 2015 MY in 2019 with 5,900 miles. I have 15,300 miles on it today. So, about 3,000 miles per year.

Some folks may only drive it 1,000 miles per year due to having a busy work/family life, weather doesn’t allow it to be driven, or they have other vehicle options.

I only drive mine in the canyons when it is not to cold and not in the rain. I don’t find it fun to drive it in the rain or on cold tires.

To each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,547 Posts
I’m not sure I see anyone expressing pride at how little they drive the car.

I also think you need to account for where people live. My best case is a 7 month season. I’ve have averaged 2,100 miles per year since I acquired my first 4C 3/6/16 (that’s precise, I track it, lol). That’s 300 miles per month. I am also 37 and work 50-80 hours per week.

You had a down year in 2021 as well but you said your good years you average 6k km, or 3,600 miles. IIRC you live where you can drive year round so it’s the identical 300 miles a month I do. IIRC you are also retired (I’m jealous) so why aren’t you driving it more?

I’m not trying to pick on you, btw. I’m not sure I agree that people are proud of how little they drive, though. I am a big fan of yours actually, so please don’t take it personally. I’m just trying to make the point that a lot of this is contextual and simply saying a # of miles doesn’t tell the whole story…
‘Proud’ might be the wrong word, more like ‘happy’. I’m on about the less than 1,000miles/km a year, garage queen crew, that’s all. There are issues from lack of use that plenty of Ferraris suffer from and from which stories of unreliability emerge. The same goes for most things mechanical.

It’s a bit hard to ride and drive at the same time. I was out doing a bit of the lower Putty on my 1100 yesterday (200km), 500km in the 4C last weekend, it’ll be another 400km in the Giulietta or 147 next weekend to watch some of the Bathurst 12 Hour and 100km for Mothers Day tomorrow. These are simply statements of usage. So no one is proud or boastful of how little they drive their 4Cs and wish they could drive them more. Nice to know. I hope you’re keeping the oil up in those 3 4Cs of yours. Stories and photos of everyone’s drives are appreciated around here. Really looking forward to reading about next weeks North East Rally.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I think the problem is worse if you have a few cars in your garage, I only have my 4C and my van for work and I still only manage around 3k a year, due to work and weather. My wife's Ford Focus is on 90k miles and only 2 years old o_O, she is an agronomist for most of England, good job its a diesel !

·
Registered
924 Posts
Then expressing a little remorse at not being able to drive it might be adviseable otherwise people are likely to come to their own conclusion. I don’t drive my 4C as a daily either. But some driving less than 1000 miles in a year sounds like they’re justifying excuses not to to drive it…which then leads to problems associated with lack of use and practise. Very pleased you’re not proud of how little you drive your 4C if that’s the case. My statement was obviously not directed at you. Life is short. Enjoy your 4C.
It's all good.
I agree that it is a shame when a car is not properly exercised to keep everything mechanically lubed.

Reactions: Alfanut and 4Canada

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've had my car since late August 2020, so really only one proper summer to drive it and this spring has been miserably wet and cold.

I've put 8000 miles on it.

I work from home, so when my wife gets home from work and the kids are tucked in bed, I'll hop in and go for a drive late at night.

·
Super Moderator
11,547 Posts
I've had my car since late August 2020, so really only one proper summer to drive it and this spring has been miserably wet and cold.

I work from home, so when my wife gets home from work and the kids are tucked in bed, I'll hop in and go for a drive late at night.
There needs to be more 4C owners like you. The real joy of ownership is in the driving. 👍

·
Registered
232 Posts
It may also depend how far one has to go to the twisties. I am lucky that there is a fun road starting near my house, so when I go for a shorter ride, I add only 40 miles to the odometer, but it is still 1-1.5h of pure fun. My other favorite ride requires taking a highway for 20+minutes each way to get to it, so unless I go very deep in the hills and spend 3+ hours there, it is more miles but not as much fun per mile or per time. And I work, too, so the shorter ride often wins.

·
Super Moderator
11,547 Posts
It may also depend how far one has to go to the twisties. I am lucky that there is a fun road starting near my house, so when I go for a shorter ride, I add only 40 miles to the odometer, but it is still 1-1.5h of pure fun. My other favorite ride requires taking a highway for 20+minutes each way to get to it, so unless I go very deep in the hills and spend 3+ hours there, it is more miles but not as much fun per mile or per time. And I work, too, so the shorter ride often wins.
True. I’ve a 20-25km transport stage before getting to the closest fun bits.

·
Registered
793 Posts

I do the exact same thing. At night when the house is asleep and the roads are empty I make a nice circuit out of the twisty and hilly back virginia roads. The 4c is perfectly suited for the area. 2nd through 4th gears get a nice workout often followed by a nice cool down.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts