Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This must be my third version of how to jack up our cars but I’m convinced this is the simplest best way now. Not sure why I didn’t figure this out earlier.
Parts needed:
I small low jack with decent reach.
4 flat top jackstands modified so they go lower.
Inokinetic 4C Liftkit

This is all you need to secure the car in the air on 4 jackstands. Not sure why I didn’t figure this out earlier but today at the track I had to change the front and rear brake pads. First time I’ve had to do both at the same time. OMG The front pads are so much easier than doing the rears!

Sequence:
1. Jack up the entire rear of the car using the 4C Liftkit area which is the center rear of the car.
2. Put your 2 lowered jackstands at the two rear jack pad areas of the car.
3. Then bring the jack to one side of the front and slide the jack into the inner lift pad area of the car (in the front there are actually four lift areas 2 inner and 2 outer).
When you lift the front of the car using one of the inner lift areas the whole entire front of the car will lift. When I just do tire changes I just use two jackstands in the rear and only the jack in the front. But of course when I do brake jobs or anything where the car needs to be secure for awhile I use the 4 jackstands.
5. If you are going to put the front jackstands in place you have to angle the jack pointed in about 45° back towards the rear of the car so you have room to put the front jackstand on the outer lift area of the car in place.
6. Put the two jackstands on the front outer lift areas.

That’s all there is to it. Just reverse the sequence to lower the car.

Note: you have to modify these jackstands to make them a bit lower or they will just be too tall for the front at least. No need to drive the car on two pieces of wood or anything like that using this method.

Here is the parts are used. Other jacks might work too but I like this jack because it has dual pistons and is quite low, very lightweight and reaches in quite a bit. It also fits into a plastic crate. You can even put two of them in one heavy duty plastic crate.

And I really like these jackstands because they are secure, nice and flat with a rubber top. Also can be modified to be quite low.

I also highly recommend this Racer Mat sold by sold by Race Ramps. Lightweight comfortable pad to knee or lie on and you can just set your tools on it and then drag them around the car on it!

Happy jackin!!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
This must be my third version of how to jack up our cars but I’m convinced this is the simplest best way now. Not sure why I didn’t figure this out earlier.
Parts needed:
Inokinetic 4C Liftkit

This is all you need to secure the car in the air on 4 jackstands. Not sure why I didn’t figure this out earlier but today at the track I had to change the front and rear brake pads. First time I’ve had to do both at the same time. OMG The front pads are so much easier than doing the rears!

Sequence:
1. Jack up the entire rear of the car using the 4C Liftkit area which is the center rear of the car.
3. Then bring the jack to one side of the front and slide the jack into the inner lift pad area of the car (in the front there are actually four lift areas 2 inner and 2 outer).
When you lift the front of the car using one of the inner lift areas the whole entire front of the car will lift. When I just do tire changes I just use two jackstands in the rear and only the jack in the front. But of course when I do brake jobs or anything where the car needs to be secure for awhile I use the 4 jackstands.
5. If you are going to put the front jackstands in place you have to angle the jack pointed in about 45° back towards the rear of the car so you have room to put the front jackstand on the outer lift area of the car in place.

Note: you have to modify these jackstands to make them a bit lower or they will just be too tall for the front at least. No need to drive the car on two pieces of wood or anything like that using this method.

Here is the parts are used. Other jacks might work too but I like this jack because it has dual pistons and is quite low, very lightweight and reaches in quite a bit. It also fits into a plastic crate. You can even put two of them in one heavy duty plastic crate.

And I really like these jackstands because they are secure, nice and flat with a rubber top. Also can be modified to be quite low.

I also highly recommend this Racer Mat sold by sold by Race Ramps. Lightweight comfortable pad to lie on and you can just set your tools on it and drag them around the car on it!

Happy jackin!!
Amazing post Al

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
303 Posts
Al,

Thank you for taking the time to share that with the rest of us. I personally plan on ordering exactly what you have laid out. Great detailed post and it is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Al,

Thank you for taking the time to share that with the rest of us. I personally plan on ordering exactly what you have laid out. Great detailed post and it is very much appreciated.

Awesome that is what the forum is all about!
From my photos you should be able to figure out how to cut down the jackstands it’s not too hard but you need a good saw yes you have to cut down the posts a bit too.
Perhaps a stock height 4C might not have to have them cut down but you really want them down anyway as if you use the stock height jackstands the car is really at an angle and the flat part isn’t very flat on the body lift area. And even though they’re cut down low they still go way up high if you want to use them on other cars.
Also those 4 jackstands cut down fit into one plastic crate. But buy the gray heavy duty commercial crates.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Parts needed:
Inokinetic 4C Liftkit

Sequence:

I also highly recommend this Racer Mat sold by sold by Race Ramps. Lightweight comfortable pad to knee or lie on and you can just set your tools on it and then drag them around the car on it!

Happy jackin!!

The floor jack will clear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,415 Posts
The floor jack will clear?
Kinda obvious, but yes.
You need a long, low profile one such as the one shown above. Lift height range starting around 2-5/8”, although under 4” would work on a stock height car but those are typically too high at the sill.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Any diagrams of these lift points? I’m only aware of the two on the front corners of the tub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Any diagrams of these lift points? I’m only aware of the two on the front corners of the tub

I think I saw diagram somewhere but you don’t need it.

In my photo you can see the jackstands are on the two front outer lift points and the jack is just below the one of the front inner lift points. See that shiny square in the photo just above the jack lifting part? That is what all 4 front lift points look like. FYI after the front jacks were secure I lowered the jack a bit so you could see that lift square that you can see in the photo. It’s about a 2 x2 inch square.
Get a flashlight and lay on the ground and you’ll see them. There’s also an arrow on the outside of the car panel that shows how far forward the lift points are.

The rear lift points are the black hard plastic larger squares that have metal arms connected to them. Maybe a photo would be good to show people those but my cars in the trailer now and I am on the road

·
Super Moderator
16,415 Posts
Does anyone know if the lift kit is available in the UK? (I have searched.)
It is an original product by Inokinetic (formerly Sector 111).
I'm sure they will ship to you - doesn't look too heavy or bulky.
Email them, as their website calculator doesn't do international well.
They are super helpful, though. If it can be done economically, Shinoo and his team will find a way.

·
Premium Member
2014 Alfa Romeo 4C Launch Edition.
146 Posts
Does anyone know if the lift kit is available in the UK? (I have searched.)
I’ve just ordered mine and they ship internationally, just email InoKinetic.
Although the shipping was more expensive than the part itself it’s still a great value product.

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
16,415 Posts
I ordered mine as well. Next trick is installing it.
All you have to do is lift the car, and . . . oh wait, I see the problem.
:grin2:

I think I should pick one up as well. But then I've got the EZ Carlift that already does a good job. At least i should be able to install the lift kit with that.
You can come to my place and we'll knock them both off together. :wink2:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hey all. Just received my 4CLIFT kit. Anyone near Jacksonville or Atlanta with a lift? Looks like it’s much easier and safer if I can get to use one.

If I go to the dealership they will want 300 to install it.....

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey all. Just received my 4CLIFT kit. Anyone near Jacksonville or Atlanta with a lift? Looks like it’s much easier and safer if I can get to use one.

Can it be done by backing up on ramps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

You can jack up your car without the 4CLIFT kit to put it on.

Drive the car’s 4 wheels onto some 2 x 4s so you have enough clearance for whatever jack you have. Hopefully you have a jack like the one I listed.

Jack up the front of one side of car using the outside lift point.

You should be able to lift the car high enough to get a low profile jackstand underneath the rear lift point. If you have a second jack it’s a lot easier as that would assist raising the rear high enough. Just put it near the rear lift point that looks strong as you will not be putting a lot of weight their anyway. Do the same for the other side.

The key is having a low profile jackstand. Modifying the one I picked seems to be the best.

Once you get the 4CLIFT in place you won’t have to go through this dance as it is so much easier.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts