Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to start by saying I know a remap is crucial for exploiting the full potential of a hybrid turbo!

.....But theoretically if you were in a position were you couldn’t get the car remapped and had a hybrid turbo installed. Would it be detrimental to the engine to drive the car on the new hybrid turbo? (Not track use!) I have had a quick look through the 4C cloud which details the description and operation of the fuel control system and it appears to be that the ECU should be able to detect the additional airflow from the MAF whilst monitoring the o2 sensor pre cat which then should alter the fuelling accordingly upto a certain degree to maintain the correct mixture and prevent a lean situation. Am I going along the right lines or am I expecting to much of the standard system?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate that just think it would be good having it documented on the forum for others to find in the future plus there are many great minds on this site that I may not have the contact details for that hopefully will have an opinion on the subject.

Update: After running it gently around the block there are no CEL and no leaks 😁

·
Super Moderator
7,620 Posts
Appreciate that just think it would be good having it documented on the forum for others to find in the future plus there are many great minds on this site that I may not have the contact details for that hopefully will have an opinion on the subject.

Update: After running it gently around the block there are no CEL and no leaks 😁
A pioneer. Braver than me. (y)

·
Registered
134 Posts
You could end up demanding more fuel than your stock tune will give and running lean which could cause damage.
The ECU May protect you by pulling power. If you are talking about just running slow then you may be fine but I don’t recommend putting your foot down without a different map.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could end up demanding more fuel than your stock tune will give and running lean which could cause damage.
The ECU May protect you by pulling power. If you are talking about just running slow then you may be fine but I don’t recommend putting your foot down without a different map.
Yes the plan is to pretty much run around off boost until the remap is sorted out which is fine for moving the car about and checking for leaks and creaks as its not my daily. I was just interested to see how far the ecu would adapt and if anyone has had any experience of this it would be nice to be able to log the AFR to see what’s going on.

·
Registered
990 Posts
There is no problem. You can even drive on the race track without any issue. The only thing is that you will not benefit from the extra boost that the hybrid can provide at higher rpm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: Tuning complete 😁 For those that are contemplating going down the same route the car was ran on the dyno and checked prior to the mapping and was producing a safe 261 bhp & 291 lbft.
This was with achieved using a Hybrid turbo consisting of an enlarged billet compressor wheel plus and improved 360 degree bearing, Alfaworks Helmholtz exhaust & BMC cone filter mounted directly onto the OEM MAF housing.
The car was then tuned to 1.7bar and achieved 323 bhp & 345 lbft. It is possible to goto 1.8bar but the turbo builder advised 1.7 bar so we stuck to that.
The transmission was also tweaked to suit the new power level.
Massive thanks to Celtic Tuning for the fantastic job that they have done.

·
Super Moderator
1,268 Posts
Update: Tuning complete 😁 For those that are contemplating going down the same route the car was ran on the dyno and checked prior to the mapping and was producing a safe 261 bhp & 291 lbft.
This was with achieved using a Hybrid turbo consisting of an enlarged billet compressor wheel plus and improved 360 degree bearing, Alfaworks Helmsholtz exhaust & BMC cone filter mounted directly onto the OEM MAF housing.
The car was then tuned to 1.7bar and achieved 323 bhp & 345 lbft. It is possible to goto 1.8bar but the turbo builder advised 1.7 bar so we stuck to that.
The transmission was also tweaked to suit the new power level.
Massive thanks to Celtic Tuning for the fantastic job that they have done.
That’s a significant increase! How is the drivability?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It’s abit of a monster there’s a noticeable increase in lag but when the turbo comes onto full boost it’s like been attached to a elastic band it’s ferocious. I don’t think it needs anymore power than this. It also now makes good power all the way upto 7k rpm.

·
Super Moderator
1,268 Posts
It’s abit of a monster there’s a noticeable increase in lag but when the turbo comes onto full boost it’s like been attached to a elastic band it’s ferocious. I don’t think it needs anymore power than this. It also now makes good power all the way upto 7k rpm. View attachment 107879
Any chance of logging/sharing some 100 to 200 times?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will try and put something together will have to be via an iPhone app to start with which aren’t the most accurate due to the GPS spec. Will be interesting to get a full set of timings at some point.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is this their stage 2 package? Whereabouts are you? I was thinking of trying to arrange a Dyno day at RE:performance to get some numbers on UK cars, obviously lots of AW Stage 1 owners here but be good to see them all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its similar to the stage 2 package slightly lower powered! I had the turbo rebuilt and modified by midland turbo in Nottingham then fitted it with a GFB DV+ and a BMC cone filter. Celtic Tuning then mapped the car to suit my mods settling on 1.7bar as a safe number. Overall it has been a very good value (Roughly £1100) way to get to the performance level I am now at. I’m based in Nottingham would be good to get a load of cars together.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Its similar to the stage 2 package slightly lower powered! I had the turbo rebuilt and modified by midland turbo in Nottingham then fitted it with a GFB DV+ and a BMC cone filter. Celtic Tuning then mapped the car to suit my mods settling on 1.7bar as a safe number. Overall it has been a very good value (Roughly £1100) way to get to the performance level I am now at. I’m based in Nottingham would be good to get a load of cars together.
That is good value! It’s interesting to go straight to hybrid, I would be intrigued what the stock turbo can do with an uprated intercooler first.
Does the power last more than one run?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts