Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WARNING: Even in All-Weather mode and not driving like an asshole, hydroplaning is possible.

After a fun ride yesterday, l made sweet 360 degree love to a guardrail. All damage appears to be non-structural. Injuries are limited to a little whiplash and I’m pretty sure I puckered so hard that my asshole is sprained.

Reactions: 4C-ophe

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Ugh, sorry to hear that Rob. I almost hydroplaned a couple weeks ago in a flash downpour. It didnt help my MP4S fronts were almost bald...lol. Glad to hear everyone was safe.

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
WARNING: Even in All-Weather mode and not driving like an asshole, hydroplaning is possible.

After a fun ride yesterday, l made sweet 360 degree love to a guardrail. All damage appears to be non-structural. Injuries are limited to a little whiplash and I’m pretty sure I puckered so hard that my asshole is sprained. View attachment 109835
Glad you’re OK but really sorry that happened to you. Hopefully you‘ll get her back to pristine condition without too much delay...I’m trying to be optimistic. It must have been a torrential downpour. At least nobody ran into you or you didn’t cross into oncoming traffic, so be thankful.

·
Super Moderator
15,172 Posts
Damn.

Agree, the best thing is that you are OK. Once this happens, you’re a passenger and it is scary as hell.

Had the car hydroplane a few weeks ago. With a semi truck coming at me. Of all things, on a quiet drive coming home from the track. No problems at all on track! Definite sphincter-puckering moment, but ended alright. In my case, there was fresh asphalt under all the water, Which made it just like black ice.

Hope this gets fixed ASAP and to your satisfaction,

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Sorry to hear and glad your OK. Damage appears pretty contained but still a huge bummer. Hope you get it back good as new in no time.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Bumpers on ebay arent expensive , about 600 bucks , install and paint prob 1800-2000k could have been worse bro . Glad your good

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
OUCH... Sorry for your bad luck @Barth Vader. I'm sure it was a major pucker moment!!!!

I believe the OEM bumper is fairly expensive. Time to get the Carbon fiber version from Scara73!!! 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Having owned a few cars over the years, the lighter the car, the wider the tires, makes it SOOOOO easy to hydroplane.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Sorry to see this Barth Vader.

Hope that you recover quickly and that the 4C can be repaired to your satisfaction.

Look after your mental health, as even minor accidents can have long term effects on your wellbeing.

·
Registered
924 Posts
When I had my car just a few week, it was raining, I drove in A and push a little. Car made a MASSIVE slip several times to both sides.
Maybe it because in the meantime I better know what to expect, but this was the biggest slip I had in the car. Never used A after that again. Think it takes power out to a level it in some way messes up the gardian angels...

Good to hear you're OK. Fixed it, and put it behind you, and get back to enjoying her.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Semi slick tyres?

I can't see very well from the photo but the main tread grooves in those tyres look incredibly thin. I'm not surprised you aquaplaned on those. Glad you're ok though.

·
Registered
4c Spider, 2016, red
111 Posts
That sounds nasty, I'm glad you're OK. I had the same query as Lawrence - what tyres do you have on it? Any information could be useful to help others avoid this kind of incident. Given that we do occasionally have rain in the UK too ... ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Glad you're ok and damage looks fixable. And you're right, hydroplaning DOES happen. U+I rented an Infiniti QX60 a couple years back during a vacation and that damn thing hydroplaned in the rain - and it was AWD and weighed over 5000 lbs. So, yep, it happens!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Best wishes for a speedy recovery. As stated above, most of us have been there. Looks like some serious rain judging by the small river to the right of the car. Could have happened to any of us. Glad no one hit you. The road looks fairly tight. The body line between the rear cover and rear fender looks unchanged, so the repair should be straightforward. I'll remember that photo next time it rains here!

·
Registered
42 Posts
A couple years back I was at the track and it was icy with freezing rain. They had us go out and learn car control. Any setting on the DNA switch will allow the car to rotate. Personally, having had that experience as well as driving in heavy rain, I feel A (and N as well really) are way too slow to react to your input and really are a detriment.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had Michelin PS4’s on the car. They were a couple mm away from being swapped for new ones and a thunderstorm caught me out. When the PS4’s were new, they were great in the rain.

I’ve driven the car in several heavy downpours and the top has never leaked. I’m quite happy with it.

Last, it looks like all damage is limited to the bumper cover, diffuser, and support structure. ~$4,200 to repair. Shit.

Reactions: 4Canada
1 - 20 of 22 Posts