Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I’m looking for a garage in south west London, to change or fitting the tyres on my 4C..
I went to 6 garages and they are not equipped to raise the car.. quite bizarre..!
Please let me know
Thank you!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
You could also do what I did, buy a quick jack, and take your wheels in, unless of course you need an alignment.

Any photos of your car would be a great way to introduce yourself
Cheers

·
Administrator
17,401 Posts
Hi Ale4C, welcome to the forum.

There are a few London members here who might be able to direct you, or otherwise you might want to find out where other exotic car owners take their vehicles for tires (the 4C is low, but by no means unique in its ground clearance).

It might be a good idea to review the hoist points, so that you can show the shop people. These are unique to the 4C, and likely as critical as being able to fit a jack underneath.
Find that information here:

It is a bit odd to me, though, that a tire shop that wanted business could not be bothered to find a solution. Wooden ramps (just some pieces of lumber) ought to do. Perhaps it's for the best that they declined!

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
2015 4C Spider, 2018 BMW M140i
65 Posts
Hi. Not a surprise. I had the same experience at the local ATS. They had to use the hydraulic ramp to lower the car onto their jacks! If you go to a fitter that also does MOTs then they will have a hydraulic ramp but you will need to advise them to allocate time on the ramp as usually booked for MOT work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi. Not a surprise. I had the same experience at the local ATS. They had to use the hydraulic ramp to lower the car onto their jacks! If you go to a fitter that also does MOTs then they will have a hydraulic ramp but you will need to advise them to allocate time on the ramp as usually booked for MOT work.

·
Registered
852 Posts
You can also find a location which services McLaren's. They will know how to properly lift the car but the service may be more expensive.

Reactions: 4Canada

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,357 Posts
Check if you version of the 4C has the intermediate pads in addition to the jacking points normally used.There normally are two V indentations on the side rocker panels showing where the two main points are. Some 4C versions like the North American version have two more of those rectangular pads between those two points that aren't marked. If you have those two rectangular pads you can use one normal hydraulic jack (long reach and low clearance) to lift the entire side of a car. Remove both wheels and tires and take to shop so they can change the tires. When done, replace tires and repeat for the other side. Of course this requires two trips to tire shop but I would rather do that than risk them screwing up the body work or undercarriage. I have a Quick Jack so can lift the entire car so than take in all four wheels to change tires. I much prefer this way than taking a chance of someone doing damage or scratching the car or taking it for a "test spin". Only thing to remember....if you lift the car on one side (which will tilt it)....make sure you unlock the car first with the key fob. I you don't it will set off the cars burglar alarm. My family still hasn't forgiven me for the time I forgot that and set the alarm off when the kids were all in bed on a school night and I didn't have my car keys with me to turn the alarm off ;-(
By the way....you may want to investigate one of those Ranger Quick Jacks (several posts on Forum about them).For a 4C owner they can make life a lot easier and save you money in the long run by doing services yourself.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,357 Posts
Check if you version of the 4C has the intermediate pads in addition to the jacking points normally used.There normally are two V indentations on the side rocker panels showing where the two main points are. Some 4C versions like the North American version have two more of those rectangular pads between those two points that aren't marked. If you have those two rectangular pads you can use one normal hydraulic jack (long reach and low clearance) to lift the entire side of a car. Remove both wheels and tires and take to shop so they can change the tires. When done, replace tires and repeat for the other side. Of course this requires two trips to tire shop but I would rather do that than risk them screwing up the body work or undercarriage. I have a Quick Jack so can lift the entire car so than take in all four wheels to change tires. I much prefer this way than taking a chance of someone doing damage or scratching the car or taking it for a "test spin". Only thing to remember....if you lift the car on one side (which will tilt it)....make sure you unlock the car first with the key fob. I you don't it will set off the cars burglar alarm. My family still hasn't forgiven me for the time I forgot that and set the alarm off when the kids were all in bed on a school night and I didn't have my car keys with me to turn the alarm off ;-(
By the way....you may want to investigate one of those Ranger Quick Jacks (several posts on Forum about them).For a 4C owner they can make life a lot easier and save you money in the long run by doing services yourself.
I just saw an ad (August 2021)on TV for the Quick Jack which said they are currently doing a 20% off deal on that lift in the US.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts