641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for accepting me a 4c. Lately I've got a question/doubt though
When driving and in parking lots you can feel the absence of power steering
I am close to buying a 4c and I would like to have clarity
Gauze

· Registered
1,134 Posts
Think OP is looking for tips on making steering easier, apart from the (very) obvious. The 4c isn't for everyone.

1. Get the car moving, especially using the road inclinations/angles to sort of roll into your desired position. The DCT allows for some "neutral" behaviors, which can be exploited with momentum to help get the wheel turned "against" or up inclinations.
2. Alignment and tire pressure/wheel size are where the magic can be found: IF YOU DO NOT TRACK your 4c, and never really honestly desire to drive illegal speeds, toe is a contentious topic on how to reign in the limits more predictably, but slight toe out in the front will make turning MUCH easier...
3. Keep tire pressures high on less treadwear tires (tires that last longer, "harder material") if you don't see high speeds, corner hard, etc...
4. Don't get trendy performance tires if you aren't using them, bringing them up to temp: some budget tires on 17/18 oem wheels that may deform slightly into "balloons" at higher pressures and losing some weight will make turning our ~1k kg cars a single finger effort for most.
5. A "hack" is swapping the wheel for a 330mm or 350mm aftermarket wheel, with 3 or less spokes MUCH thinner than the oem shape, which makes manhandling the beastie fun/easier.
6. Gyms are great, driving the 4c daily with performance tires on wider wheels is better.
7. Go a little odd and swap in FCA family power steering, especially units from the Guilia QV, and then agonize over having to come up with your own alignment and wheel/tire application so it drives right, in which case swapping in a manual transmission will quickly become an obsession. Depending on how smart and patient you are, you will end up with a fancy Fiero/X1/9, or a carbon-tight Cliov6/JGTC MR2.

· Premium Member
4,460 Posts
Why avoid the obvious answer?

Stay out of parking lots!

(Does anyone really have an issue if the tires are rolling even the slightest? I parked in a tight, multi-level parking garage (4th level!) for two years and it just crossed my mind that having no power steering never crossed my mind when using that garage -- I never thought I was going to have trouble getting out or in.)

· Registered
697 Posts
I found the clutches engaging from a stop to be more of a deal than no power steering. 4C was easier to steer from a standstill than my GTV6 despite the 4C having wider tires.

I am confident if you bought a 4C, the lack of power steering would be a non-issue in no time.

Worst that could happen is your forearms become stronger.

· Administrator
19,460 Posts
I found the clutches engaging from a stop to be more of a deal than no power steering. 4C was easier to steer from a standstill than my GTV6 despite the 4C having wider tires.

I am confident if you bought a 4C, the lack of power steering would be a non-issue in no time.

And you acquire an affinity for spinach? ;)

· Super Moderator
4C SE, Giulietta Vel, 147, Sud, Guzzi 1100 Sport, Guzzi Le Mans MkV
13,569 Posts
Thanks for accepting me a 4c. Lately I've got a question/doubt though
When driving and in parking lots you can feel the absence of power steering
I am close to buying a 4c and I would like to have clarity
Gauze
It is a non-issue. As long as you are moving slightly, which is the correct technique when turning a steering wheel, you will have no problem turning the wheel to park. These are a few photos of us parked up. We all managed to park and leave without any difficulty. 😁
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Plant Automotive design

Car Land vehicle Tire Cloud Vehicle

· Registered
2,616 Posts
Some of you guys are funny, the rest savage. 😆

• Haha
Reactions: Riggs and Alfanut

· Registered
2017 4c Spider
35 Posts
It is a non-issue. As long as you are moving slightly, which is the correct technique when turning a steering wheel, you will have no problem turning the wheel to park. These are a few of photos of us parked up. We all managed to park and leave without difficulty. 😁
View attachment 139176

View attachment 139178

View attachment 139180
It is a non-issue. As long as you are moving slightly, which is the correct technique when turning a steering wheel, you will have no problem turning the wheel to park. These are a few of photos of us parked up. We all managed to park and leave without difficulty. 😁
View attachment 139176

View attachment 139178

View attachment 139180
That's why I had to buy a white one as all the reds had been snapped up!!!!!

· Registered
673 Posts

I still have my gtv6, on 225’s, with the weight of a not so light v6 engine on top of the front tires. Even on smaller tires a gtv6 can be a wrestling match at slow speed. 4C is a cakewalk compared to parking that car. When I was younger I used a smaller Momo wheel but have relented anf gone back to a bus-sized original wheel. All are welcome to come drive my old Alfas and then revel in the wondrous lightness of the new one.

· Super Moderator
4C SE, Giulietta Vel, 147, Sud, Guzzi 1100 Sport, Guzzi Le Mans MkV
13,569 Posts
I still have my gtv6, on 225’s, with the weight of a not so light v6 engine on top of the front tires. Even on smaller tires a gtv6 can be a wrestling match at slow speed. 4C is a cakewalk compared to parking that car. When I was younger I used a smaller Momo wheel but have relented anf gone back to a bus-sized original wheel. All are welcome to come drive my old Alfas and then revel in the wondrous lightness of the new one.
D’ya really mean that? 😁

1 - 20 of 30 Posts