Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Faulkner Alfa Romeo-Maserati; Willow Grove, PA; USA

Cam belt: $3000+ USD w/ new water pump and tensioner. I literally laughed. They claimed '$1,000 for parts.'

For kicks, I asked about an oil change. I mean, this should be revealing: $430 USD.

They are a kilometer away from home, so I had to inquire. Now to pick up the phone and start calling around....

·
Registered
1,224 Posts

Cam belt: $3000+ USD w/ new water pump and tensioner. I literally laughed.

For kicks, I asked about an oil change. I mean, this should be revealing: $430 USD.

They are a kilometer away from home, so I had to inquire. Now to pick up the phone and start calling around....
I have not checked up here on the Cam service yet.
BUT the oil change!!! o_O
....listen...... (ME BANGING HEAD AGAINST DESK!)

·
Registered
1,869 Posts

Cam belt: $3000+ USD w/ new water pump and tensioner. I literally laughed. They claimed '$1,000 for parts.'

Come over ill do the oil change for you , bring the supplies and a heat blanket

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Guess they are a Maserati/ALFA dealer. Fiat/ALFA dealers are cheaper....I never heard such outlandish prices for those services. Do they also charge you for the Vaseline for the screwing.
Funny you would think that. But honestly, I've been surprised (both ways) with so-called luxury establishments. I've found absolute deals (steals even) for items in some high end stores and outrageous pricing in outlet-type locales. I believe the personal relationship (yeah, what is that during these times right? lol) will definitely affect your bottom line. However, when the gap is that large...move on, you are buying the service not taking their lift and shiny tools back to your place!

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Second call:

Maple Shape Fiat Alfa: "We have a 4C in right now and we're trying to figure out how to do it; we don't even have the factory tools; we're estimating 2500 in labor.''

I said ''nevermind'' pretty quickly.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Local Alfa dealer here in GA wanted $2500 just for the timing best. I did it all in my garage for the cost of the parts. Honestly this car is so easy to work on if you half a brain, tools and the ability to read directions from people that have posted on the forums or Alfaworks website. Bolt tightening is only 48 bolts if I remember correctly. Super easy to do. these guys was $1200.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Third call:

Jeff Dambrosio Fiat-Alfa; place of purchase by og owner and by me:

"Hmmm... yeah... ummm, we've never done one of those before... how many miles that you need a cam belt already?"

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Local Alfa dealer here in GA wanted $2500 just for the timing best. I did it all in my garage for the cost of the parts. Honestly this car is so easy to work o if you half a brain, tools and the ability to read directions from people that have posted on the forums or Alfaworks website. Bolt tightening is only 48 bolts if I remember correctly. Super easy to do. these guys was $1200.
I do not have a private garage. Are you saying you spent $1200?

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts

Total joke!!! Belt service shouldn’t go over $1500 with parts. The oil change its easy as hell. Run away from those stealerships., run!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
A timely post for me. I am anticipating having the belt job done sometime in 2021, and since the Baltimore region dealership closed, I called the Faulkner one up in Mechanicsburg, PA about 2 weeks ago to get a quote for the job. Service manager took my car info down and would get back to me with the price. Two days later with no response, so I call again, get his voicemail, and leave a message. Two days later still nothing so I send him an e-mail. Tried calling the following week, but always get voicemail. Tried calling a few more times this week, still voicemail. Always amazing when you need to pursue people to potentially give them money.

Before everyone chimes in with "just use a private shop", I usually do that, but there aren't many options around here, and the car is under warranty for 4 more years, so not willing to try and teach a mechanic how to do this job, and hope he doesn't damage the body panels while taking the car apart. There is a very good local shop that deals in all kinds of high-end foreign cars (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, vintage Alfa, etc), but he does not work on the 4C's at this time. I am hoping he decides to start working on them since the local Alfa shop closed (and was close to his shop).

I used to do almost all car repairs myself, but now that I have a family and a larger stable of automotive toys, I tend to only take on some of the projects, as I don't often have time to spend an entire weekend on a repair project, and when I do it tends to be my daily driver. Plus the last time I did a timing belt job was on my Alfa Milano many years ago, and my back never recovered from leaning over the engine for the duration of the project.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Second call:

Maple Shape Fiat Alfa: "We have a 4C in right now and we're trying to figure out how to do it; we don't even have the factory tools; we're estimating 2500 in labor.''

That's a disappointing call. I used to love those guys. I'm guessing the lead tech I dealt with is no longer there.

Reactions: Philster

·
Registered
69 Posts
Second call:

I live about 20 minutes from them... they are ok, not good not bad. Had bolt tightening and front coil-overs replaced on my last 4c. That was over a year ago... they told me I was the first 4c they worked on. Prices were ok and good communication, but 100% agree they don’t have a lot of 4c experience...

I just did both the bolt tightening and cam belt my self. I wouldn’t call either easy, but it’s doable. Cost for parts was $400 with the cam lock tool, about $200 w/o.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
I live about 20 minutes from them... they are ok, not good not bad. Had bolt tightening and front coil-overs replaced on my last 4c. That was over a year ago... they told me I was the first 4c they worked on. Prices were ok and good communication, but 100% agree they don’t have a lot of 4c experience...

I just did both the bolt tightening and cam belt my self. I would call either easy, but it’s doable. Cost for parts was $400 with the cam lock tool, about $200 w/o.
That's bizarre. Something must have changed there because they did a ton of work on mine from 2016 to late 2017 (bolt service /multiple oil changes/TSBs/pad change fluid flush etc). The lead tech (I think his name was Jason or Jeremy - don't remember) was terrific.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My last real service was Maple Shade. Brake fluid, oil change, fixed a buggy TPMS that D'Ambrosio couldn't, patched a tire and balanced the wheels perfectly.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's bizarre. Something must have changed there because they did a ton of work on mine from 2016 to late 2017 (bolt service /multiple oil changes/TSBs/pad change fluid flush etc). The lead tech (I think his name was Jason or Jeremy - don't remember) was terrific.
I was really thinking they'd come through w/ a reasonable rate and some assurances they know what they're doing. It was quite the opposite. There's so much turnover in these businesses, especially in light of the shit show that 2020-2021 has been.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Interesting, I had my 4c there in Nov 2019 when they told me that. Lots of turnover I guess?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Independent shop here charges me $95.00 to change oil, filter AND air filter labour only. Oil filter OEM $44.10 including shipping & taxes from Mopar Parts Canada (Hamilton, Ontario). Oil, Pennzoil Synthetic 5W40 Platinum Euro $58.90 including taxes. Total oil change, parts and labour $198.00 CDN. They have done all the work on my cars and research the complexity of what is involved before they attempt anything. Very competent mechanics.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts