Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

181 - 200 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Good luck. I was at the Malvern dealership yesterday for 2 new pirelli tires (fronts are still near new so can't swap to other brand yet) $550 installed which is $100 more than tirerack installed, oil change for $240 not bad considering parts would be just over $100 if bought local and state inspection. I asked Tony if he has heard from AJ lately, said he was just in touch with him. They did do a good job on my car and in the end felt the care and attention they gave my car was worth paying too much this time.
I am there right now, getting my right front tire balanced.
@Philster I know it would be more expensive, but what about just having the work done at Diambrosia?
They seem to always take good care of me.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hope the test drive went well for you. Just remember, you have a unique personality, like the 4C, unique. When out and about I see another 4C driving on average 1.5 times per year (seen 3 on the road in 2 years). Supra, see those just about every time go for a drive. Ironically today went for a loop around Lancaster and back, one the way back picked-up a yellow supra behind me. Do you really want to go back to the same car that is often seen? They are a nice car, just not a 4C. On the road, easy to see which one the oncoming cars were looking at. Both in yellow meant one shouldn't have been drawing more attention than the other.

Out the back window:

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Kind of crazy how it was yellow, since your 4c is yellow.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
I am aware of the cons (and pros) of walking away from a low-volume and unique car.

The Supra was fun. The wind buffeting would not be fun. Felt like my old 911. There was no window position that worked. The whole thing was solid. Went for the 3.0 test (some incredible deals available). Feels too long in front, like it's BMW predecessors, and I felt like I was sitting towards the back of the car. It's got the clown shoe vibe. The BMW 6 is even better than it used to be.

For those following: I feel like I have to move to keep the 4C, to be in a house with garage (the house, which I don't need) to not be at other's mercy -- and that last part is a big frigging deal to me. For the psychological and therapeutic component: I have been divorced since 2009, and my independence and not needing others defines me. I can't name another guy that raised his kids as a divorced man, kept his independence and managed to have some toys on top of it. It's exceedingly rare. I feel like I have pulled off miracles almost weekly to get here, I've got a son who I am helping to start a business, and a daughter in college/university, and rather than go house poor, I moved into a condo. Covered parking, yes, but not a garage to wrench in. It got me close to work, and I can focus on work and life and not a house... and I don't need to, as we say in the USA, 'shack up' with anyone and depend on them in any way... sadly, a very standard model for a divorced guy with kids.

The dealers and independents are people I wouldn't trust very much with any car, but now I am at their mercy. This is an extremely painful experience for me. A more traditional vehicle from a robust dealer network and warranty as far as they eyes can see starts to look extremely attractive.

@John4C and @RYUK hit me up and I told them I just need to mull this over. Good peeps they are. They're human; I've seen it. Welp, me too.

By Saturday, 3rd of April: I got Alfa Care and the GM of the dealership on the phone and the tools emerged from the service manager's desk, and showed as being delivered on Thursday.

Independent mechanics: Yeah... I am dealing with dealers because several indies are completely unresponsive. @Pastafozol , it'd be great if you can tell me if Bryner at Kam was responding to you. I emailed them all part numbers and the cam tool info, too, but that was a month ago and follow-ups got me no response.

I forget who connected my with the Exotic car place in Frenchtown, NJ.... but we went back and forth and then I can't get a call answered or returned.

·
Registered
1969 spider 2016 4c spider 2020 stelvio TI
160 Posts
I am aware of the cons (and pros) of walking away from a low-volume and unique car.

The Supra was fun. The wind buffeting would not be fun. Felt like my old 911. There was no window position that worked. The whole thing was solid. Went for the 3.0 test (some incredible deals available). Feels too long in front, like it's BMW predecessors, and I felt like I was sitting towards the back of the car. It's got the clown shoe vibe. The BMW 6 is even better than it used to be.

For those following: I feel like I have to move to keep the 4C, to be in a house with garage (the house, which I don't need) to not be at other's mercy -- and that last part is a big frigging deal to me. For the psychological and therapeutic component: I have been divorced since 2009, and my independence and not needing others defines me. I can't name another guy that raised his kids as a divorced man, kept his independence and managed to have some toys on top of it. It's exceedingly rare. I feel like I have pulled off miracles almost weekly to get here, I've got a son who I am helping to start a business, and a daughter in college/university, and rather than go house poor, I moved into a condo. Covered parking, yes, but not a garage to wrench in. It got me close to work, and I can focus on work and life and not a house... and I don't need to, as we say in the USA, 'shack up' with anyone and depend on them in any way... sadly, a very standard model for a divorced guy with kids.

The dealers and independents are people I wouldn't trust very much with any car, but now I am at their mercy. This is an extremely painful experience for me. A more traditional vehicle from a robust dealer network and warranty as far as they eyes can see starts to look extremely attractive.

@John4C and @RYUK hit me up and I told them I just need to mull this over. Good peeps they are. They're human; I've seen it. Welp, me too.

By Saturday, 3rd of April: I got Alfa Care and the GM of the dealership on the phone and the tools emerged from the service manager's desk, and showed as being delivered on Thursday.

Independent mechanics: Yeah... I am dealing with dealers because several indies are completely unresponsive. @Pastafozol , it'd be great if you can tell me if Bryner at Kam was responding to you. I emailed them all part numbers and the cam tool info, too, but that was a month ago and follow-ups got me no response.

I forget who connected my with the Exotic car place in Frenchtown, NJ.... but we went back and forth and then I can't get a call answered or returned.
So u keeping the car and where u going for service

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
@greg - the plan is Brown Daub for Wednesday, 8th of April. Cam belt and related tensioner, bolts, etc , drive belt, water pump, tires (I shipped them there), alignment, balancing, plus oil change and loaner.

Keeping or selling, this is all overdue maintenance. I am thinking it over.

·
Registered
203 Posts
No doubt the 4C is magical but also the thought/worry of having something that may or may not be readily serviced by someone with knowledge is stressful. The car itself however is the opposite as it is surely a stress reliever. I have thought about making a change while the resale value is still there given the low mileage. Then I go for a long drive and think no way. However, the new Cadillac CT4-V 'Black Wing' has sparked my interest. It is set to be available this fall at which time I plan to arrange a test drive. Damned if you do...damned if you don't.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
- I have been divorced since 2009
understand
- my independence and not needing others defines me.
agree
- I can't name another guy that raised his kids as a divorced man, kept his independence and managed to have some toys on top of it. It's exceedingly rare.
It is, but you are not alone, and who knows, in 25 years maybe this breed will be getting compensation and retribution from the courts who unfairly treated them (not holding my breath).
- I feel like I have pulled off miracles almost weekly to get here
you have !!
- I've got a son who I am helping to start a business, and a daughter in college/university,
a reflection of being an AMAZING PARENT!
- and rather than go house poor, I moved into a condo.
Do not fret, the day of that Covered Cool Barnyard Loft will be realized
- sadly, a very standard model for a divorced guy with kids.
And those like you, are a positive influence which show others the STRENGTH of your Humanity and Character!
- @John4C] and @RYUK hit me up and I told them I just need to mull this over. Good peeps they are. They're human; I've seen it. Welp, me too.
God Bless them and those on this Board and Beyond.

L

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Car is currently getting worked on. Will update. Alfa care follows up with me daily. Drop off and experience at Brown Daub (aside from service manager not notifying anyone the tools were under his desk) has been better than expected. Got a nice Giulia for loaner.

Added in state inspection and emissions cert, and I'm going full blown lazy route and getting seat angled up in front and down in back. My state inspection is 6 years overdue. LMAO.

Still mulling over the 4C ownership, and we'll see how all this goes.

·
Registered
2016 Coupe
8 Posts
Car is currently getting worked on. Will update. Alfa care follows up with me daily. Drop off and experience at Brown Daub (aside from service manager not notifying anyone the tools were under his desk) has been better than expected. Got a nice Giulia for loaner.

Added in state inspection and emissions cert, and I'm going full blown lazy route and getting seat angled up in front and down in back. My state inspection is 6 years overdue. LMAO.

Still mulling over the 4C ownership, and we'll see how all this goes.
The fact that the PA inspection gods have given you immunity for 6 years should be reason enough to keep the 4C

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
With how fawked up our roads are right now, you can't be sleeping. At this point, I should do a season of AutoCross.
I feel like I would kick ass considering how much practice I have dodging potholes.
Can't wait to hear the results @Philster. Worst case, if this goes well, you have 4-7 years to make up your mind on keeping it. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
My deleted posts upthread, btw, were about not pestering Alfa Care too much. They've been great, and I didn't want to confuse the matter since I had them on the phone. Even though I am out of warranty, they opened a ticket, called dealer and called around to see who else was willing to do work. Sorry to all mods if an issue.

In venting frustration to my Maserati-driving neighbor (being at mercy of the dealers and having no warranty), she said she has an extended warranty policy with Total Auto Protect which allows her to go to any Maserati or Ferrari center for repairs.

I called and got a quote, which with incentives came to 50 months and zero deductible for 3300 USD. Can go to any Alfa Romeo or Maserati dealer (or approved facility). So, this quote is good through tomorrow, so my thinking is escalated.

Anybody dealt with them? Some digging brought me to the Facebook group and good feedback was noted.

Edit: It's one thing to be at mercy of others for maintenance, but serious repairs would break me. This thread is about maintenance, but I can't even fathom an experience where serious work would be needed.

·
Super Moderator
8,834 Posts
My deleted posts upthread, btw, were about not pestering Alfa Care too much. They've been great, and I didn't want to confuse the matter since I had them on the phone. Even though I am out of warranty, they opened a ticket, called dealer and called around to see who else was willing to do work. Sorry to all mods if an issue.

In venting frustration to my Maserati-driving neighbor (being at mercy of the dealers and having no warranty), she said she has an extended warranty policy with Total Auto Protect which allows her to go to any Maserati or Ferrari center for repairs.

I called and got a quote, which with incentives came to 50 months and zero deductible for 3300 USD. Can go to any Alfa Romeo or Maserati dealer (or approved facility). So, this quote is good through tomorrow, so my thinking is escalated.

Anybody dealt with them? Some digging brought me to the Facebook group and good feedback was noted.

Edit: It's one thing to be at mercy of others for maintenance, but serious repairs would break me. This thread is about maintenance, but I can't even fathom an experience where serious work would be needed.
Have confidence, Phil! Our good friend Alf Alpha is closing in on 60,000km (42,000 miles) and no issues at all apart from rip-off dealership maintenance. Sound familiar? I’m at 32,000km and nothing at all gone wrong...actually one loosening lower rear damper mount bolt is all. The mechanicals are basic Giulietta Veloce items. Carrying around 300kg less weight than the G there’s less constant stress on the drive-train so I’m confident our 4Cs will be around for a long, long time before anything really major needs doing (depending on how hard you drive it, of course)..I predict the TCT will be my first non-routine replacement item. None of my Alfas, and we are talking decades of ownership, have yet required major mechanical work. You are an intelligent man, who obviously has a high degree of mechanical sympathy, so I say you’ve little to worry about, but I understand your predicament. Finding a good mechanic/tech you can rely on is key to confident and happy ownership. Hope you find your Holy Grail soon.

·
Registered
300 Posts
59k miles here. Warranty-less since beginning of 2020. Not terribly scared. :p

Outside of routine maintenance, I've only had to replace the coolant tank, and two evap purge valves. $128 in total.

Timing belt was replaced ahead of schedule in 2018, and I did the bolt tightening myself.

The long-term reliability of the TCT worries me a bit... I am also quite religious about checking the oil level multiple times a month. :LOL:

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I got the Mopar extended warranty for any odd issues I run into.

IM FEELING GOOD ABOUT THIS @Philster
Caps lock engaged to show my excitement.
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
59k miles here. Warranty-less since beginning of 2020. Not terribly scared. :p

Outside of routine maintenance, I've only had to replace the coolant tank, and two evap purge valves. $128 in total.

Timing belt was replaced ahead of schedule in 2018, and I did the bolt tightening myself.

The long-term reliability of the TCT worries me a bit... I am also quite religious about checking the oil level multiple times a month. :LOL:
Trans is a concern because there is an 11,000 USD risk there. Fixing them is not the route. They tend to just replace them.

Engine with closed deck and steel cylinder sleeves plus forged internals is toughest arrangement.

I'm several years past any type of warranty.

181 - 200 of 241 Posts