Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

201 - 220 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Rosso Alfa Launch Edition
15 Posts
Whenever I make a car decision, I first ask myself if 12 year old me would be proud of/excited for current me doing whatever I'm thinking about ...

I think that your childhood self would be proud of you sticking it out with the 4C
(They'd also probably be pretty excited if you had a Supra, but that's a different discussion, lol)

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
UPDATE

Work has resulted in CEL after 10 minutes of driving. I picked up near closing time. Rethinking that decision.

Disconnected and cleaned connections twice, started up, no CEL, then 10 minutes of driving and....CEL (w/ classic "No Race, Dynamic or All Weather modes available).

Will post code when I have it. Hoping for vacuum-related code I suppose, but could be the worst: Cam position error (only takes one tooth being off) and then they can enjoy redoing the entire process.

Left messages for service center. Awaiting instructions. Only the CEL... no other lights. Does not come on immediately upon start up. I'd think anything related to timing would trigger CEL immediately.

Ain't this fun? /s

·
Super Moderator
8,834 Posts
Phil, did you read my check engine light experience I had in my Giulietta yesterday? Your experience sounds a little different but I’d do the battery check thing first. I left my battery disconnected for about 40min too and on restart made sure nothing else was on like aircon, fan, lights, radio. Check engine warning never returned (touch wood).
Effing frustrating for you, I’m sure.

UPDATE

Work has resulted in CEL after 10 minutes of driving. I picked up near closing time. Rethinking that decision.

Disconnected and cleaned connections twice, started up, no CEL, then 10 minutes of driving and....CEL (w/ classic "No Race, Dynamic or All Weather modes available).

Will post code when I have it. Hoping for vacuum-related code I suppose, but could be the worst: Cam position error (only takes one tooth being off) and then they can enjoy redoing the entire process.

Left messages for service center. Awaiting instructions. Only the CEL... no other lights. Does not come on immediately upon start up. I'd think anything related to timing would trigger CEL immediately.

Ain't this fun? /s

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Phil, did you read my check engine light experience I had in my Giulietta yesterday? Your experience sounds a little different but I’d do the battery check thing first. I left my battery disconnected for about 40min too and on restart made sure nothing else was on like aircon, fan, lights, radio. Check engine warning never returned (touch wood).
Effing frustrating for you, I’m sure.
I got home after dark and disconnected the battery and it has been disconnected all night (it is 05:50 now and sun is not up yet.)

I will be connecting and test driving in a couple hours. Left messages for service center as well, of course.

Will go check out your posts @Alfanut

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #205 (Edited)
Update (because that is proper forum etiquette)

• After sitting unattached all night, I wiped battery connections with some WD 40 (kinda humid and damp last night) and reattached.
  • Got into my newly tilted seat (game changer) and turned key to power/accessory mode and let everything come on line.
  • Waited... and when there is a batt disconnect-reconnect, it is best to wait before cranking, After 30 seconds, I turned it over and the CEL did not stay on (cleared after 1-2 secs as per normal on start up).
  • Drove in Natural and Dynamic for 40 mins, and ran through full RPM range after really getting it heat-soaked. No issues.

Will run 'er later and see what happens.

Other bits:

Brown Daub service quoted me at 5.5 hours of labor for belt; stood by that quote, but advised that pricing it again would be around 7.5 to 8.5 hours.
They did my PA inspection and emissions free.
They let me ship the four new tires to them and mounted and balanced them. 95 USD
They killed two hours on the seat adjustment (but I approved this)
They did the 4-wheel alignment. 110 USD
Oil change was 188 USD

I already have 150 miles on the General RS summer tires*** (up to 215 and 245 from 205 and 235) and the bump up in size definitely absorbs bumps better and looks better. These tires, based on various subjective and objective tests, outperform the P Zeros but fall a little short of the Conti Extremes. After rebate and w/ zero shipping costs, they came to 520 USD for all four (insane value). They meet all the XL load requirements. I can't speak to performance just yet, but quieter than the P Zeros. I suspect a minimum of 300 miles and maybe 500 before commenting (can feel that new tread squirm). Just drove some oddball roads without tramlining.

Keep ya posted.

Edit*** The GMax RS summer tires are safe down to 20f / -7C ... and without a fully enclosed garage, this was another decision point for me.

·
Registered
2016 Coupe
8 Posts
Update (because that is proper forum etiquette)

• After sitting unattached all night, I wiped battery connections with some WD 40 (kinda humid and damp last night) and reattached.
  • Got into my newly tilted seat (game changer) and turned key to power/accessory mode and let everything come on line.
  • Waited... and when there is a batt disconnect-reconnect, it is best to wait before cranking, After 30 seconds, I turned it over and the CEL did not stay on (cleared after 1-2 secs as per normal on start up).
  • Drove in Natural and Dynamic for 40 mins, and ran through full RPM range after really getting it heat-soaked. No issues.

Will run 'er later and see what happens.

Other bits:

Brown Daub service quoted me at 5.5 hours of labor for belt; stood by that quote, but advised that pricing it again would be around 7.5 to 8.5 hours.
They did my PA inspection and emissions free.
They let me ship the four new tires to them and mounted and balanced them. 95 USD
They killed two hours on the seat adjustment (but I approved this)
They did the 4-wheel alignment. 110 USD
Oil change was 188 USD

I already have 150 miles on the General RS summer tires*** (up to 215 and 245 from 205 and 235) and the bump up in size definitely absorbs bumps better and looks better. These tires, based on various subjective and objective tests, outperform the P Zeros but fall a little short of the Conti Extremes. After rebate and w/ zero shipping costs, they came to 520 USD for all four (insane value). They meet all the XL load requirements. I can't speak to performance just yet, but quieter than the P Zeros. I suspect a minimum of 300 miles and maybe 500 before commenting (can feel that new tread squirm). Just drove some oddball roads without tramlining.

Keep ya posted.

Edit*** The GMax RS summer tires are safe down to 20f / -7C ... and without a fully enclosed garage, this was another decision point for me.
Did you have the opportunity to look at the condition of the belts removed?

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
@JoeBona -- No, I did not ask for the belt, but I understand that the bigger issue on these belts is the pliability of the teeth, which would probably slip before the whole thing broke, and that would be very subjective. In digging around about whether the service interval is a bit quick, I didn't ever imagine a complete failure, but started to understand the teeth (tooths?) would be the first thing to go (lose strength and slip, followed by cam timing errors and tail chasing).

Belt from 2014 and 18,000 miles. Heck, would not have hurt to have it though!

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Welp... took 45 mins to come on this time, but CEL is back.

🤦‍♂️ 😕

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Do you have a code reader?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Bummer. It's obviously related to the work done, but it would be nice to know the code just to verify.
Guess you will have to wait for them to get back on Monday.
I wonder what the Android program Torque could pull with a Blue tooth OBDII reader?

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Reactions: Philster

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Apparently the go to for Alfa is ALFAOBD (android) connected via bluetooth to OBD Linx LX

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I have a couple.
Have the Foxwell and a Kiwi 3
My HP Tuner cable is at a friends house right now.

·
Registered
2015 4C Spider, 2018 BMW M140i
50 Posts
Apparently the go to for Alfa is ALFAOBD (android) connected via bluetooth to OBD Linx LX
Either ALFAOBD or Multiecuscan should at least be able to interpret ODB2 error codes from a 4C and display some explanation in addition to the code. I tried the free Windows version of ALFAOBD with OBDLINK Ex and that does read both ECU and TCT errors. I suspect the Android version will do the same with the Bluetooth OBD2 dongle. For any of the other modules, e.g. ABS, Instrument panel, etc. I think you need the paid up version and an adapter cable which crosses over some pins. The yellow adapter from this set like this.

Hopefully with CEL it is likely to be an ECU error and the free version without the need to cross over pins is all you will need. Should be able to at least read/interpret the code(s) and reset, but obviously won't fix the underlying cause.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

201 - 220 of 241 Posts