Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the topic of importing a Canadian 4C to the U.S. has been briefly discussed, but I wanted to see if anyone has additional insight or has successfully done so. I currently have a deposit on a Canadian 4C and it has the attached EPA sticker, which looks like it shouldn't pose a problem. When I called Alfa Romeo customer service, there were other reps who have had buyers import from Canada. They gave me the following information and my dealer faxed a request for the DOT compliance letter to:

FCA Customer Assistance Center
Care of Technical Support Team
P.O. 218004
Auburn Hills, MI 48321

While we are waiting for that compliance letter, I checked on the EPA's website and found Tony DiMuro's contact info, which has now been disconnected.

Does anyone know who the current importation contact is for Alfa Romeo USA?

Since this vehicle will be joining me in California, I also looked into CARB and was able to locate this compliance document for a 2017 4C with Akropovic exhaust:

I hope to streamline this importing process and make it easier for future buyers/sellers, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think florida for tony dimuro its old its was distribution center for alfa before they came to USA in 2014. mostly for cars from 90s

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Congrats on finding what you wanted.

I'm interested to hear how this process unfolds as the Canadian cars are typicalyl better specc’d than the US ones, lol. Also the exchange rate can offer some good values.

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Delete

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats on finding what you wanted.

I'm interested to hear how this process unfolds as the Canadian cars are typicalyl better specc’d than the US ones, lol. Also the exchange rate can offer some good values.
Thanks! How were you able to find the breakdown of cars for Canada? I wonder if we have that available in the U.S.?

This car is the MPTW with the fan wheels, but without the interior carbon trim. I wanted pearl white or gray with the cf roof, Akra, red leather or the microfiber seats, Track Pack, and upgraded stereo, so I got 90% of the possible 4C options. The sticker was $90,990 CAD and it has very low mileage and full PPF.

·
Super Moderator
15,609 Posts
Thanks! How were you able to find the breakdown of cars for Canada? I wonder if we have that available in the U.S.?

This car is the MPTW with the fan wheels, but without the interior carbon trim. I wanted pearl white or gray with the cf roof, Akra, red leather or the microfiber seats, Track Pack, and upgraded stereo, so I got 90% of the possible 4C options. The sticker was $90,990 CAD and it has very low mileage and full PPF.
Sounds like a great spec.
Hope you get it soon - even if that means one fewer up here!

·
Registered
727 Posts
This must have been a great deal for you. If I was purchasing a used 4C ... I would prefer that the 4C had spent it's life in nice weather. For example. It's pretty clear that cars from Arizona are typically corrosion free. Maybe a little bit of sun damage ;) .

·
Super Moderator
15,609 Posts
This must have been a great deal for you. If I was purchasing a used 4C ... I would prefer that the 4C had spent it's life in nice weather. For example. It's pretty clear that cars from Arizona are typically corrosion free. Maybe a little bit of sun damage ;) .
Most Canadian 4C’s have never seen a snowflake, let alone salt. And definitely not Arizona / Texas summers. ;) There are certainly exceptions - not likely very many though.

In Vancouver and Windsor, they don’t get much real winter. In the rest of the country, the fun cars typically get put away in the fall (outside of a few big cities that pretty much create their own climate zones and allow year-round use). As a result, our sports cars are mostly low mileage and pristine.

They used to be priced relatively on par with the US but in our funny money (meaning, 23% off sale), but that’s mostly changed to reflect the exchange rate.

·
Registered
128 Posts
As a past seller on BAT (1966 Porsche 912) I can attest that most Americans are apprehensive about buying a Canadian registered car. They are unsure about what exactly is involved as to duties (if any), vehicle conformance, shipping information and costs and other issues that may be involved. Since all pricing on BAT is based on U.S. currency pricing is really not an issue other than for the seller (Canadian) when determining the value of the vehicle. I suggest that Canadian sellers do their research prior to listing the vehicle offered and be willing to provide potential buyers with the required information by outlining that in their ad. Having this information will assure both parties are able to complete a mutually acceptable transaction. I do agree with 4Canada's comments "As a result, our sports cars are mostly low mileage and pristine". I would also say that they (especially 4C's) have been well maintained, stored in winter months and cared for by attentive passionate owners.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,552 Posts
As a past seller on BAT (1966 Porsche 912) I can attest that most Americans are apprehensive about buying a Canadian registered car. They are unsure about what exactly is involved as to duties (if any), vehicle conformance, shipping information and costs and other issues that may be involved. Since all pricing on BAT is based on U.S. currency pricing is really not an issue other than for the seller (Canadian) when determining the value of the vehicle. I suggest that Canadian sellers do their research prior to listing the vehicle offered and be willing to provide potential buyers with the required information by outlining that in their ad. Having this information will assure both parties are able to complete a mutually acceptable transaction. I do agree with 4Canada's comments "As a result, our sports cars are mostly low mileage and pristine". I would also say that they (especially 4C's) have been well maintained, stored in winter months and cared for by attentive passionate owners.
I think that it would be rare to find a NA 4C that wasn't in showroom condition and with low miles. All those I know that have one here in Michigan put them in Winter hibernation, never drive in the rain, have low miles, and treat them like their baby. Some get some track and/or autocross time but that is what it was designed for. The 4C is not your everyday appliance car. It is pretty much impractical for anything except putting one hell of a smile on your face everytime you drive it. There will be exceptions to the above....but I think pretty rare.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like a great spec.
Hope you get it soon - even if that means one fewer up here!
Thanks! It has most of what I was looking for, including the Convenience Group. Can you really call anything about the 4C convenient?!

It was reasonably priced, unlike the ones in the states, and also had the options I was looking for + fully PPF. You know I sent you a message about your car, but I guess you didn't see it. It should be in your Conversations section. This car shared a garage with a McLaren, and with under 4k miles, I'm sure the Mac was used for winter DD duty.

Most Canadian 4C’s have never seen a snowflake, let alone salt. And definitely not Arizona / Texas summers. ;) There are certainly exceptions - not likely very many though.

In Vancouver and Windsor, they don’t get much real winter. In the rest of the country, the fun cars typically get put away in the fall (outside of a few big cities that pretty much create their own climate zones and allow year-round use). As a result, our sports cars are mostly low mileage and pristine.

They used to be priced relatively on par with the US but in our funny money (meaning, 23% off sale), but that’s mostly changed to reflect the exchange rate.
This one is from a well healed individual in Vancouver. It was babied.

Your car was old enough to sell and import to the U.S. and specifically California without any issues. It's pre-smog and they love anything Porsche out here.

I think that it would be rare to find a NA 4C that wasn't in showroom condition and with low miles. All those I know that have one here in Michigan put them in Winter hibernation, never drive in the rain, have low miles, and treat them like their baby. Some get some track and/or autocross time but that is what it was designed for. The 4C is not your everyday appliance car. It is pretty much impractical for anything except putting one hell of a smile on your face everytime you drive it. There will be exceptions to the above....but I think pretty rare.
I set my search parameters under 15k miles and they're either extremely low mileage (under 4k miles for the newer cars) or "high" mileage (30k+ for the '15-16's). People are asking ridiculous amounts on the higher mileage cars. All cars were meant to be driven and the 4C is no exception.

·
Registered
727 Posts
It was reasonably priced, unlike the ones in the states, and also had the options I was looking for + fully PPF. You know I sent you a message about your car, but I guess you didn't see it. It should be in your Conversations section. This car shared a garage with a McLaren, and with under 4k miles, I'm sure the Mac was used for winter DD duty.
Sorry. Didn't see the message. Being from Alaska .... when I think of Canada .... I think of the Yukon territory lol. Welcome to the forum. The 4C is amazing as you already know.

Reactions: closingtime

·
Super Moderator
15,609 Posts
Sorry. Didn't see the message. Being from Alaska .... when I think of Canada .... I think of the Yukon territory lol. Welcome to the forum. The 4C is amazing as you already know.
It only FEELS like the Yukon here this morning - 3rd snowfall event of the year and it’s a month to the official start of winter! And I’m in southwestern Ontario (the “banana belt” of the country).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts