Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
4C-Forums.com Vendor
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Introducing the MADNESS AutoFlash for the Alfa Romeo 4C

What is the idea of the AutoFlash? The idea of the AutoFlash is to not only increase shift speed but to increase torque limitations throughout the gearing (except for 1st and reverse gears as we leave these at factory spec for safety) which in turn changes the speed of a shift.

The AutoFlash has been thoroughly tested both on the road & track and we are sure you will agree that the shift and positive feel of the engine after the flash makes for a superb upgrade.

Make sure to visit the product listing to learn more about the product!

Direct Product Link:
https://madnessautoworks.com/Alfa Romeo 4C/start-shopping-cid1/new-arrivals-cid2/alfa-romeo-4c-autoflash-by-madness-pid4145

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Joseph....has the TMC Autoflash protocol been updated for this? Or is it your (Madness) customized configuration?

[email protected] said they threw a clutch error on their car when they installed this on their track car upon receiving their unit from [email protected]
Daron was supposed to fly out to to Germany to update/optimize SS's Autoflash.

I don't know what transpired after this...thanks in advance for the update.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This looks kind of tempting.. I wonder..are there competing manufacturers (as a reference point)
As you say, looks tempting. I'm based in the UK - there is something very similar (could be the same) offered by TMC Motorsport in N Ireland. Would really like a review from someone that has one fitted in a 4C. I can find reviews for other manufacturers where it's been fitted, but not the Alfa

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
As you say, looks tempting. I'm based in the UK - there is something very similar (could be the same) offered by TMC Motorsport in N Ireland. Would really like a review from someone that has one fitted in a 4C. I can find reviews for other manufacturers where it's been fitted, but not the Alfa

They're both the same unit, just rebranded.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
Ok, while we're asking questions, and I ask because the item is tempting. How does this work with factory software upgrades as they may come along. We've already had one patch for the TCM and getting close to a second software patch.

Does this 'item' overwrite the entire TCM code? Or just select data?

If AR issues a TCM update, will this need to be updated and reapplied?

·
4C-Forums.com Vendor
60 Posts
Joseph....has the TMC Autoflash protocol been updated for this? Or is it your (Madness) customized configuration?

[email protected] said they threw a clutch error on their car when they installed this on their track car upon receiving their unit from [email protected]

Hi there Docron,

Sorry as I'm off on Wednesdays so I'm just getting back into the office here today.

Due to my workload today if you can give me a few hours here to track down these details for you that would be greatly appreciated. I will say though that it appears this information as stated above is not 100% accurate so I'll do my best to help with any confusion etc.

I appreciate your patience and I'll chime in here as quickly as possible!

Joseph

Ok, while we're asking questions, and I ask because the item is tempting. How does this work with factory software upgrades as they may come along. We've already had one patch for the TCM and getting close to a second software patch.

Does this 'item' overwrite the entire TCM code? Or just select data?

If AR issues a TCM update, will this need to be updated and reapplied?
Hello Racer Z,

I'll work on these answers for you here this afternoon and update you here before the end of the day! Hope all is good on your end!

Joseph

·
Registered
78 Posts
Joseph, we await your answers, but could you also advise whether this is a generic module and will be compatible with any Auto or twin clutch car or specifically designed for each model

·
4C-Forums.com Vendor
60 Posts

Hello Docron,

I apologize for the delayed reply reply but as promised below are the details you've requested.

"[email protected] said they threw a clutch error on their car when they installed this on their track car upon receiving their unit from [email protected]"

Some things to note in regards to this portion of your post:

We have limited information about what Andre was testing, but we do know some of the details which most do not. Here they are:

Andre had a heavily modified 4c with a number of test parts along with a cat delete. The car was not fully mapped for these upgrades and an EML light was on permanently prior to any flasher being tested. If a vehicle has a EML light then the flasher will not write to the car. Because of this the product was never actually tested on his car.

"Daron was supposed to fly out to to Germany to update/optimize SS's Autoflash."

Andre did not have a stock 4c available for testing. When he does I am sure he will get a unit to test, but that is between the other companies and not for us to work out. TMC and Andre have their own relationship and so do we.

Now for competitive reasons there are a number of details that are kept private by the hardware supplier, software developers and companies (like ours and others) that offer a product. We do not disclose the details of internal tuning differences between our unit and others out there.

We have installed and also shipped a number of our MADNESS AutoFlash units for the 4c and have had zero issues as of now.

It is also important to note why we state that the AutoFlash unit will not work on Launch Edition cars. The Launch Edition cars had different TCU mapping from the the normal production cars. Even without any modifications a number of Launch Edition cars suffered from clutch slippage and other related issues. Later cars had new TCU mapping that was redone by Alfa. If you have a newer car or had your TCU software updated with new software then the AutoFlash should work just fine. If you have transmission software issues we would advise you resolve those first with the dealer and then think about upgrades.

I hope you have found the above details beneficial and as always, if you think of anything else please don't hesitate to reach out to us!

Since I'm not on the forums as much as I'd like you can always contact me directly at [email protected] and I'll do my best to respond back to you as promptly as possible!

Respectfully,

Joseph
Sales Manager
MADNESS Autoworks

·
4C-Forums.com Vendor
60 Posts
Joseph, we await your answers, but could you also advise whether this is a generic module and will be compatible with any Auto or twin clutch car or specifically designed for each model

Hi there Ullers,

To answer your question, this is not a generic module. The casing is shared with our other versions for other vehicles, but the software is specific. Example: The FIAT 500 AutoFlash we offer will not work on the 4c.

If you happen to have any other questions for us please let us know and we'll do our best to help you out!

Thank you,

Joseph
Sales Manager
MADNESS Autoworks

·
Registered
330 Posts
Okay I got mine, here is the problem. No instructions at all, which for something that you cannot return is not a good start. So I call and ask does this install by turning car to acc mode, and should I plug the unit in before I turn the key or after. I was put on hold, came back with yes go to acc mode do not start the car wait for a beep (should take 30-90 seconds), no answer on when to plug in unit. I tried the install, after about 10 seconds I heard a beep, but I feel no difference in the car at all. Maybe I did something wrong, kind of hard to know, when there are no instructions (none on your website either). So now I have a $500 thing that I cannot return and I do not know whether it works, so a little help would be nice.

·
Registered
392 Posts
This looks kind of tempting.. I wonder..are there competing manufacturers (as a reference point)
Pogea Racing has 3 stages of the Transmission tune based on your ECU tuning.
Stage 1 for stock ECU/minor mods
Stage 2 for stock/modified
Stage 3 modified

·
Registered
8 Posts
Okay I got mine, here is the problem. No instructions at all, which for something that you cannot return is not a good start. So I call and ask does this install by turning car to acc mode, and should I plug the unit in before I turn the key or after. I was put on hold, came back with yes go to acc mode do not start the car wait for a beep (should take 30-90 seconds), no answer on when to plug in unit. I tried the install, after about 10 seconds I heard a beep, but I feel no difference in the car at all. Maybe I did something wrong, kind of hard to know, when there are no instructions (none on your website either). So now I have a $500 thing that I cannot return and I do not know whether it works, so a little help would be nice.
mrbreeze - I apologize for the experience you've had through this process. My name is Eric, and I oversee Sales and Support out of our CA location. It's wrong that this was left unresolved both on the phone as well as in this thread - and that's why I'm here. Again, a sincere apology for the position you've been left in over the last few days; let me help make this right.

Maybe I did something wrong, kind of hard to know, when there are no instructions (none on your website either). So now I have a $500 thing that I cannot return and I do not know whether it works, so a little help would be nice.
I am PMing you the official instructions for the Autoflash from a link on another of our websites. I've notified our webmaster, and we'll have this updated shortly.

For all others viewing (or curious), here's the Installation Cliffs Notes:

1. Turn the vehicle on, but do not start the engine.

2. Insert in the AutoFlash device into the OBD2 port. You'll hear a beep. If your AutoFlash device has an LED, it will illuminate.

3. Once the software has loaded/transferred, the AutoFlash device will begin beeping incessantly. Thankfully, you don't need to leave it plugged in :smile2:. Remove the device from the OBD port and turn the vehicle off.

4. Turn the vehicle back on and start the engine. Do not touch the accelerator pedal. Let the car idle for 10 minutes. I repeat, don't touch the gas pedal for any reason for 10 minutes. Polish your wheels, program your radio stations, count the dandelions - etc. Just let the car idle, and let the software do it's thing.

-(addendum)- If you blipped the accelerator, don't worry. It's an easy fix. Pop the negative terminal on the battery for 15 minutes to clear the ECU, reconnect the battery and go back to start.

5. After that 10 minute period, hop in the car and drive as normal. It's a standard adaptation - some effects should be noticeable after the first 20 miles, with adaptation complete by roughly 100.

Hope this helps; I encourage you to drop me a line back at your earliest convenience, so we can talk a bit more about your 4C plans, and I can personally address the matter of last week. My direct line is (562) 981-6800 #104, and I can be reached via email at emacgraham (at) MADNESSAutoworks (dot) com . Please, don't hesitate. You chose us - we've got your back.

Lastly, to those reading this thread, feel free to reach out to me directly with any further questions or concerns.

Respectfully,

Eric @ MADNESS.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thanks Eric, and thanks for talking with me over the phone. The unit is now installed and it does work. I think this is a great complement to adding more power, which is the next thing on the list.

·
4C-Forums.com Vendor
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Real Customer Feedback!

Joe left us a review on our 4C Autoflash upgrade!

"The Autoflash is a great match with my Go Pedal the Autoflash made a dramatic change in the quickness of the shifts and when the RPMs runs up the power ban it shifts from one gear to the next smooth an crisp. Compared to stock its quick. Less hesitate from shift to shift and how you D press the gas pedal the RPM range will shift at the appropriate rpm even at a higher RPMs your shift is smooth and crisp. The Autoflash is a great addition by itself it will work perfect. If you pair it with the Go Pedal the package is awesome."

For anyone interested in our GoPedal, here is the link!

https://madnessautoworks.com/2016-Alfa Romeo-4C/start-shopping-cid1/performance-upgrades-cid3/alfa-romeo-4c-madness-gopedal-pid7041

Autoflash link

https://madnessautoworks.com/Alfa Romeo 4C/start-shopping-cid1/new-arrivals-cid2/alfa-romeo-4c-autoflash-by-madness-pid4145

·
Registered
330 Posts
Go Pedal (I always love the names they come up with for a throttle controller), I had one on my Abarth (got it from Madness). I blame Audi (remember when the gas peddles would stick) for the drive by wire crap. I think I will buy one just cause I have them (in some form or another) on all my cars.

·
4C-Forums.com Vendor
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Go Pedal (I always love the names they come up with for a throttle controller), I had one on my Abarth (got it from Madness). I blame Audi (remember when the gas peddles would stick) for the drive by wire crap. I think I will buy one just cause I have them (in some form or another) on all my cars.
I will call on Monday, since the Free shipping is not working.
Hey Mrbreeze,

It does make your pedal, go :wink2:

Remember the Toyota floor mat fiasco?!

Glad to hear that our GoPedal has worked well on your ABARTH. I am confident that it will impress you just as much on your 4C!

Give us a shout! 512 982 9393

1 - 20 of 37 Posts