Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Hmmm . . . . Sounds like I need an engine mount bushing.
I have one of Gale's bushings on order with his rear arms and Oil Catch Can... I will test with only the engine bushing, and give my feedback

·
Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
936 Posts
Was the exhaust easy to install? Wondering if I should get the 100 cell too!
The exhaust is very easy to install! The mesh grills on the other hand, are a bit fidgety. But they can be done. I kept the stock downpipe/cat. It's loud and quick enough!

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Yes, I have installed the bushing and was able to use it on track a few weekends ago. I installed the "Sport" version of the bushing. It is fairly easy to install. In my car, I get some additional cabin vibration when the car is sitting at idle. But as soon as you start revving the engine, all of that is gone. On track, the shifts are smooth and don't upset the car as much as there is less rocking of the entire engine. I felt that I could balance the car better on the edge. It has been quite some time since I was on track (and going in the CW direction on my home track), so I had quite a few poorly placed shifts the first few sessions, and the car and shifts felt good.

I talked some with Gale, and I have come to the basic conclusion the reason the OEM bushing has a HUGE hole (and smaller bolt) is to actually decouple the engine from the chassis in idle (no torque). This prevents the engine from transmitting the vibration to the entire car. Using Gale's bushing removes that decoupling. It isn't really an issue if you drive your car, as the shifts are improved and you rarely idle. Frankly, I think the cost is low enough to be a no brainer type upgrade.

Reactions: 4Canada

·
Registered
242 Posts
Please report back! I have the black "race" one sitting in a box waiting to be installed during the next oil change.
I’ve had the GMS race mount installed for a few months - I like it but the sport might be better for some. My car is not tracked, more of a summer daily. I talk about it and some other mods in this link, but pasted the snippet on the mount below too.

• GMS race engine mount - very noticeable when the starter kicks in, noticeable but reasonably subtle at idle, not very noticeable above idle. Shifts seem much smoother.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I installed the PowerFlex sport version in September. There is a noticeable difference in D mode that eliminated the jerkiness during gear changes and less engine movement. The best and cheapest upgrade one can make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Launch Edition #444
73 Posts
I’m going to do a full post either in my “welcome” thread or elsewhere but I felt it was VERY necessary that I write here... DO IT!! do NOT wait... DO IT! To those asking who haven’t yet installed but bought hte bushing, WOW!

I’ve had my share of Porsche PDK cars and there seems to be a more instant connection to the motor/trans/throttle. In the 4C, I always felt like you could feel a shudder/pause with shifts, as the motor picked up the slop first before thrusting you forward. Likewise, downshifts had a sort of yo-yo feeling that I never loved.

Just got my car back a few hours ago from suspension blocks and bushing install. Specifically the BLACK “Race” PowerFlex bushing, with the nylon sleeve. And WOW— that mod alone is one of the BEST I’ve done on this car since purchase. And there is no notable hashness — no increase in vibration — just got back from a long 1+ hr back road drive, stop and go at times, and i feel NO badness, just goodness— firm, responsive, less sloppy shifts... yay!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ok. Black installed today. Install was.....ok. laying on your back trying to get the stupid spacer on top of the mount and under the arm was annoying (follow @Docron suggestion and use a screwdriver to line up the holes, but if you cannot get the mount and spacer between the arms, then use the screwdriver from the top to hold the spacer as you fight the mount to squeeze between) Other than that, it was pretty straight forward. I installed black and I honestly do not know why there is a yellow. There is not any of the harshness I was worried about using the race bushing. Shifts seemed smoother and more responsive. I only drove a few miles, albeit in a spirited manner, so I'll have a better opinion in the next few days. Why was the install only ok you ask? Well, I may or may not have slipped and dropped the freaking prybar on my face while laying under the car. I may or may not look like I was punched in the face now. I may or may not be trying to figure out how to wear a low hat to church tomorrow. Like I said....may or may not. 🤓

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
mine has been sitting in the box for months , is there any youtube videos of the process being done .

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ok. Black installed today. Install was.....ok. laying on your back trying to get the stupid spacer on top of the mount and under the arm was annoying (follow @Docron suggestion and use a screwdriver to line up the holes, but if you cannot get the mount and spacer between the arms, then use the screwdriver from the top to hold the spacer as you fight the mount to squeeze between) Other than that, it was pretty straight forward. I installed black and I honestly do not know why there is a yellow. There is not any of the harshness I was worried about using the race bushing. Shifts seemed smoother and more responsive. I only drove a few miles, albeit in a spirited manner, so I'll have a better opinion in the next few days. Why was the install only ok you ask? Well, I may or may not have slipped and dropped the freaking prybar on my face while laying under the car. I may or may not look like I was punched in the face now. I may or may not be trying to figure out how to wear a low hat to church tomorrow. Like I said....may or may not. 🤓
Oh boy - sorry to hear. I am in the midst of trying to get the front bolt/nut loosened. Need more leverage! And my sockets are too deep to get at either the 15/16" bolt or the 7/8" nut (not enough clearance on either side). Trying two adjustable wrenches but I feel like I need Archimedes lever that he claimed he could move the world with. No wrench or pry bar to the face - yet.

·
Super Moderator
16,415 Posts
Hey, if there’s no blood (or at least contusions), is it really auto mechanics???

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Oh boy - sorry to hear. I am in the midst of trying to get the front bolt/nut loosened. Need more leverage! And my sockets are too deep to get at either the 15/16" bolt or the 7/8" nut (not enough clearance on either side). Trying two adjustable wrenches but I feel like I need Archimedes lever that he claimed he could move the world with. No wrench or pry bar to the face - yet.
breaker bar, cheater bar with pipe over socket wrench end, two wrench interlocked method?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts