Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have been getting this intermittent Check Brake Pad warning on the dash. After the message disappeared, the Brake warning light stayed on, and then randomly it would turn off. I have new pads just installed in the front, and the rear pads still have 50-60% remaining. I still have the original battery from 2016, could the battery has something to do with this sending false warning? Has anyone experienced this?

·
Administrator
18,504 Posts
What new pads?
Did they have the sensors? Sounds like a loose connection.

I’ve cut the sensor leads off mine and there is no light.

Track pads don’t have them anyway.

·
Administrator
18,504 Posts
They are Tarox Corsa, my third set already so it shouldn’t be the senors.
You are right - these have no sensor (same pads I use) but is it possible that they just zip-tied the leads onto the shocks and the insulation is wearing through?
Basically, the sensor works by completing a circuit when the pad gets so thin that the tab contacts the rotor. Essentially, a ground. If the insulation is coming off a wire or some tape has come off, and it occasionally touches the conductor to metal, well that also completes the same circuit. Just a thought, but I could see this happening, and it is relatively easy to check next time you have the wheels off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are right - these have no sensor (same pads I use) but is it possible that they just zip-tied the leads onto the shocks and the insulation is wearing through?
Basically, the sensor works by completing a circuit when the pad gets so thin that the tab contacts the rotor. Essentially, a ground. If the insulation is coming off a wire or some tape has come off, and it occasionally touches the conductor to metal, well that also completes the same circuit. Just a thought, but I could see this happening, and it is relatively easy to check next time you have the wheels off.
I will check that, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,545 Posts
I think it would have been a different message, this one specifically says Check Brake Pad, not Brske Fluid Low.
I’d also check the brake fluid level. I know the message says pads but I’d try to eliminate all the easy things first. Do the pads sit properly in the callipers or do they vibrate, pushing the pistons back? Would excessive piston movement trigger some sort of warning like this via a fluid level change? Then, of course, are the pads worn or have the discs passed their service limits. I’d be doing some measuring.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’d also check the brake fluid level. I know the message says pads but I’d try to eliminate all the easy things first. Do the pads sit properly in the callipers or do they vibrate, pushing the pistons back? Would excessive piston movement trigger some sort of warning like this via a fluid level change? Then, of course, are the pads worn or have the discs passed their service limits. I’d be doing some measuring.
Does this look low? Rotors are one year old, and the pads are brand new.

Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
11,545 Posts
Does this look low? Rotors are one year old, and the pads are brand new.

View attachment 128897
Oh well, so much for those ideas. Try some standard pads, connect ‘em up and see if the warning issue continues. No air in the system? Bleed ‘em just to be sure. All guesses. Bloody electronics….I ignore most warnings in my 147 as they mostly appear when I hurry the engine start. False warning as 4Canada mentioned? What about the rears?

·
Registered
57 Posts
brake pads warning is single wire type - when it touches ground, warning in dash is shown. so if you got warning it's either pads are worn or wire itself is damaged being it on pad side or car side.
also if wire is disconnected no warning even if pads are worn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts