Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has fitted Intrax 1k2 coil overs to their 4C. If so, what options did you select and how happy are you with them? Do they perform as advertised and do you think they were worth the coin? I’m seriously thinking about a set but I know no one with them fitted and am reticent to jump in solely on trust as they aren’t inexpensive. My requirement is for the road to have better roll control without the need of a rear antiroll bar yet be supple enough on fast but uneven road surfaces. Then, for the track, can be firmed up to suit. I’m quite happy with the standard suspension 80% of the time. It’s when surfaces get smooth and grippy that the excessive roll becomes bothersome. I prefer the idea of not tying down the rear with an antiroll bar to keep the rear wheels working completely independently as our roads down this way aren’t the smoothest. Any experience with the Intraxes is welcome.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
As you know Alfanut, I don't have the Intrax. However, my two cents is as follows... I got the 2-way Ohlins ages ago. Half of me wishes I got the 3-way (so I could copy GMS's track settings), but the realistic side says a 1-way would have been just fine. I find that I only slightly tweak the compression between road and track use, but I never touch the rebound. Some of the suspensions are a MAJOR PITA to change the settings and more or less require you to remove the whole tire to do it. The Ohlins are a touch easier, but does require some flexibility to change it at the track.

That said... I'm an engineer, and I like data... My wife would say I like things "too complicated"... But since I'm not racing, and I don't have the time (or knowledge OR DRIVING SKILL) to tweak the suspension to get the absolute lowest lap times, the extra complexity is simply TOO much for me. The ability to make it "softer" on the road, is nice, and I know INSTANTLY when I forget to increase the compression stiffness when I go on track (way more nose dive and lean). However, a 1-way suspension would probably have gotten me 99% "there" and easier to adjust and change between the track/road.

Apart from the dive and sway, I find that I can curb hope more without unsettling the car nearly as much (and it gets back under control quicker) with the Ohlin's versus the stock suspension. I'm not racing, and not willing to REALLY curb hop like you see in most road racing. I don't want to abuse the car, suspension, and me like those guys do.... So, unless you really want to tweak and play with setup, I'd stick with the 1K2 XL version.

·
Super Moderator
12,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As you know Alfanut, I don't have the Intrax. However, my two cents is as follows... I got the 2-way Ohlins ages ago. Half of me wishes I got the 3-way (so I could copy GMS's track settings), but the realistic side says a 1-way would have been just fine. I find that I only slightly tweak the compression between road and track use, but I never touch the rebound. Some of the suspensions are a MAJOR PITA to change the settings and more or less require you to remove the whole tire to do it. The Ohlins are a touch easier, but does require some flexibility to change it at the track.

That said... I'm an engineer, and I like data... My wife would say I like things "too complicated"... But since I'm not racing, and I don't have the time (or knowledge OR DRIVING SKILL) to tweak the suspension to get the absolute lowest lap times, the extra complexity is simply TOO much for me. The ability to make it "softer" on the road, is nice, and I know INSTANTLY when I forget to increase the compression stiffness when I go on track (way more nose dive and lean). However, a 1-way suspension would probably have gotten me 99% "there" and easier to adjust and change between the track/road.

Apart from the dive and sway, I find that I can curb hope more without unsettling the car nearly as much (and it gets back under control quicker) with the Ohlin's versus the stock suspension. I'm not racing, and not willing to REALLY curb hop like you see in most road racing. I don't want to abuse the car, suspension, and me like those guys do.... So, unless you really want to tweak and play with setup, I'd stick with the 1K2 XL version.
Thanks for your insight, Doc. Much appreciated. Because I won’t ever be using slicks my thoughts were that even the XL’s might be overkill. I was thinking of getting anti roll control and black titan coating might be enough. They’ll leave no change from $10,000 Aussie battlers…which is why I’m asking. Getting the experience of someone who has taken the plunge would be preferable to jumping in on blind trust. Covid lockdown killed my extra income source so I’ve still a further six months before purchase.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I understand about the cost, you guys really pay a premium down under. I was shocked on how much the prices of the shocks have increased in the past year. I think the Nitron's have gone up by $1000 (or 25%) or so. I think for your use, a Nitron R1, would be a better purchase. It is about $1000 cheaper in the USA, and you won't be using it on the track too much, compared to the Intrax 1K2 XL. I do seem to recall the Nitron rears are a MAJOR PITA to adjust, as the adjustment point is on the top of the shock body right next to the attachment point.

Reactions: 4Canada and Alfanut

·
Registered
alfa Romeo 4C, Spider Italia
1 Posts
Ich habe mich gefragt, ob jemand Intrax 1k2-Gewindefahrwerke an seinem 4C angebracht hat. Wenn ja, welche Optionen haben Sie gewählt und wie zufrieden sind Sie damit? Funktionieren sie wie beworben und denken Sie, dass sie die Münze wert waren? Ich denke ernsthaft über ein Set nach, aber ich kenne niemanden, der damit ausgestattet ist, und zögere, nur auf Vertrauen zu springen, da sie nicht billig sind. Meine Anforderung ist, dass die Straße eine bessere Wankkontrolle hat, ohne dass ein hinterer Stabilisator benötigt wird, aber dennoch auf schnellen, aber unebenen Straßenoberflächen geschmeidig genug ist. Dann kann für die Strecke entsprechend gefestigt werden. Ich bin mit dem Standardfahrwerk zu 80 % sehr zufrieden. Wenn Oberflächen glatt und griffig werden, wird das übermäßige Rollen störend. Ich bevorzuge die Idee, das Heck nicht mit einem Stabilisator festzubinden, damit die Hinterräder völlig unabhängig arbeiten, da unsere Straßen auf diese Weise nicht die glattesten sind. Jede Erfahrung mit den Intraxes ist willkommen.
[/ZITIEREN]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hallo liebe Alfa Freunde, ich möchte mich kurz vorstellen. Mein Name ist Jörg Zimmer und ich komme aus Ingolstadt / Deutschland. Ich fahre einen 4C Spider Italia von 2018.

In meinen 4C Spider Italia habe ich vor 3 Wochen das Intrax Fahrwerk 1k2, Black Titanium, ARC System V+H sowie die Performance Frontquerlenker und die Heckquerlenker von Rudi Gale eingebaut.
Das Intrax Fahrwerk kann ich nur empfehlen. Das Fahrwerk ist einfach von weich bis hart einzustellen (Zug und Druckstufe). Meine Einstellung ist momentan weicher für schlechte Landstraßen. Mit dem ARC-System fahren Sie schnelle Kurven wie mit einer harten Fahrwerksabstimmung. Ich kann Ihnen dieses Fahrwerk wirklich nur empfehlen.
Es ist teuer aber wirklich sein Geld wert.
Jetzt kann ich auf der Landstraße ganz locker schnell fahren und auf der Autobahn sind langgezogene Kurven mit 250 km/h absolut sicher.
Das nervöse Fahrverhalten ist jetzt nicht mehr vorhanden.
Das Fahrwerk ist jetzt für mich absolut perfekt und war die beste Investition für den 4C

Schöne Grüße
Jörg

·
Super Moderator
12,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish my German was really as good as that, @Moto Parilla . From what little I understand I gather you are very happy with your Intrax 1k2. Thank you for posting. Did Intrax provide you with their recommended spring rates and valving?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Thanks to @Moto Parilla and here is google translated:

“Hello dear Alfa friends, I would like to introduce myself briefly. My name is Jörg Zimmer and I come from Ingolstadt / Germany. I drive a 4C Spider Italia from 2018.

3 weeks ago I installed the Intrax chassis 1k2, Black Titanium, ARC System V + H as well as the performance front wishbones and the rear wishbones from Rudi Gale in my 4C Spider Italia.
I can only recommend the Intrax chassis. The chassis is easy to adjust from soft to hard (rebound and compression). My attitude is currently softer for bad country roads. With the ARC system, you drive fast corners like with a hard chassis set-up. I can only recommend this chassis to you.
It's expensive but really worth the money.
Now I can drive very quickly on the country road and long curves at 250 km / h are absolutely safe on the motorway.
The nervous driving behavior is no longer there.
The chassis is now absolutely perfect for me and was the best investment for the 4C”

·
Super Moderator
12,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, I thought they first hit the road in 2019, but I must have obviously been mistaken.
Build dates and actual arrival dates do make things confusing. I’d love to see the actual build date of one of our 2021 Final Edition 4Cs. @alfa1105 , is that final edition still in the Gong showroom? If it is, is there any chance of having a look at its build date plate? Taa muchly if you could.

·
Super Moderator
12,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to @Moto Parilla and here is google translated:

“Hello dear Alfa friends, I would like to introduce myself briefly. My name is Jörg Zimmer and I come from Ingolstadt / Germany. I drive a 4C Spider Italia from 2018.

3 weeks ago I installed the Intrax chassis 1k2, Black Titanium, ARC System V + H as well as the performance front wishbones and the rear wishbones from Rudi Gale in my 4C Spider Italia.
I can only recommend the Intrax chassis. The chassis is easy to adjust from soft to hard (rebound and compression). My attitude is currently softer for bad country roads. With the ARC system, you drive fast corners like with a hard chassis set-up. I can only recommend this chassis to you.
It's expensive but really worth the money.
Now I can drive very quickly on the country road and long curves at 250 km / h are absolutely safe on the motorway.
The nervous driving behavior is no longer there.
The chassis is now absolutely perfect for me and was the best investment for the 4C”
Which is why I’ve decided to save the extra necessaries for these. I know I’d just kick myself if I went on price rather than function for my requirements. It’s only another six months.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The Bilstein units some have used and Centerline liked are intermittently available, easily adjustable (combined compression rebound) and height adjustable. One former owner commented to me that they performed as intended but also noted they are not an actual Bilstein product for what that is worth. Not inexpensive but cheaper than Intrax. I do like that GMS and many owners have used Noviitec. I am most interested in the Intrax roll control effectiveness (sounds like Koni FSD/SpecialActive type valving).

·
Super Moderator
12,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Bilstein units some have used and Centerline liked are intermittently available, easily adjustable (combined compression rebound) and height adjustable. One former owner commented to me that they performed as intended but also noted they are not an actual Bilstein product for what that is worth. Not inexpensive but cheaper than Intrax. I do like that GMS and many owners have used Noviitec. I am most interested in the Intrax roll control effectiveness (sounds like Koni FSD/SpecialActive type valving).
Same here Peter. Their system will, I think, allow for softer springs to cope better with uneven surfaces yet not allow too much lean. Paying for quality and the sophistication of their dampers will be worth it in the end. Once they’re on and working as intended, as with anything, you soon forget about the price. However, this might end up costing me another family trip to Italy to smooth it over with my wife. What a hardship! ;)

I’m really happy @Moto Parilla made the effort to post and thank you for Google translating. I understood that Moto Parilla was happy but glad to get the detail from the translation as I’m sure are the other non-German speaking members of the forum interested in the Intraxes.

·
Vendor
179 Posts
Hi, At Alfa9, since 2015 we've installed Intrax for the Alfa 4C, including 1K2, 2K2, 4way, and the special Intrax XL which has the oversized inverted rear struts. Don't hesitate to email or call us with any specific questions.

As an example, here's a car we set up for time attack use with the "Intrax XL" 1K2 setup — and the owner who has extensive professional race experience with other cars said it's the "best out of the box setup of any suspension he's ever bolted on a car" The photo below shows it on its way to a first place finish at Road Atlanta...

Wheel Land vehicle Car Tire Vehicle

Spring rates and valving are specific to Intrax, and to each customer car, we work with you individually to get the best setup base on intended use! We've done setups for street cars and race cars, so it's all possible. With this, you are getting a custom made suspension kit at near to off-the shelf prices.

We've also done a lot of 4C's using the starting level 1K2, shown below. The key features on any system from Intrax are a) they are a true monotube suspension (long list of benefits...) and b) the oversize rear inverted strut body adds needed rear installation stiffness for better precision in the Alfa Romeo 4C, and lastly c) they have custom options like the Arc Roll Control and Black Titan Anti-friction coatings.
Toy Auto part Engineering Tire Font

·
Super Moderator
12,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi, At Alfa9, since 2015 we've installed Intrax for the Alfa 4C, including 1K2, 2K2, 4way, and the special Intrax XL which has the oversized inverted rear struts. Don't hesitate to email or call us with any specific questions.

As an example, here's a car we set up for time attack use with the "Intrax XL" 1K2 setup — and the owner who has extensive professional race experience with other cars said it's the "best out of the box setup of any suspension he's ever bolted on a car" The photo below shows it on its way to a first place finish at Road Atlanta...

View attachment 122524

Spring rates and valving are specific to Intrax, and to each customer car, we work with you individually to get the best setup base on intended use! We've done setups for street cars and race cars, so it's all possible. With this, you are getting a custom made suspension kit at near to off-the shelf prices.

We've also done a lot of 4C's using the starting level 1K2, shown below. The key features on any system from Intrax are a) they are a true monotube suspension (long list of benefits...) and b) the oversize rear inverted strut body adds needed rear installation stiffness for better precision in the Alfa Romeo 4C, and lastly c) they have custom options like the Arc Roll Control and Black Titan Anti-friction coatings.
View attachment 122525
Thanks, Matt. A much appreciated response.. Cheers.

·
Registered
161 Posts

View attachment 122524

View attachment 122525
Sorry to hijack the thread but if street only compliance was primary mission what would be the recommendation?

1 - 20 of 106 Posts