Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Launch Edition #444
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Greetings, fellow car enthusiasts! Last week I picked up Launch Edition # 444 from a local Alfa dealer here in the greater Cleveland, Ohio (USA) area. This car spent the first few years of life in Florida, eventually ending. up in New Jersey two years ago. And now, it is mine! Pearl white with the red seats, 2015 launch car, with 19k miles as of right now. At time of purchase the car already had the EC V2 air intake, but was otherwise stock.

Since picking the car up I've already started my typical "money pit" fun:
  • Upgraded radio to Pioner SPH-10BT
  • AW Stage 1 ECU tune via Alfa9
  • AW Suspension blocks via Alfa9
  • OTIS Wheel Spacers via EC

Next week the car will go into my local mechanic for installation of the suspension blocks, an alignment, and a brand new set of the 10mm-wider Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires (215/40-18 and 245/35-19). Hopefully some better tires and suspension tweaks bring the car's driving confidence up; some great data found lurking these forums so thanks to everyone who has provided good feedback there (and special thanks to @Alfa9 Supply of course!)

Only other future modification currently on my radar might be to tweak the exhaust slightly, but I want more seat time before I make that decision. Aesthetically, the spacers will be adequate for me-- that and my local detail shop when he has an opening will do a paint correct and ceramic coating, and replace the yellowing lower rockers with some fresh PPF. At which point, the weather should be good enough for me to drive and enjoy the car.

Looking forward to sharing more photos and adventures with this car! Cheers.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
View attachment 115528

Greetings, fellow car enthusiasts! Last week I picked up Launch Edition # 444 from a local Alfa dealer here in the greater Cleveland, Ohio (USA) area. This car spent the first few years of life in Florida, eventually ending. up in New Jersey two years ago. And now, it is mine! Pearl white with the red seats, 2015 launch car, with 19k miles as of right now. At time of purchase the car already had the EC V2 air intake, but was otherwise stock.

Since picking the car up I've already started my typical "money pit" fun:
  • Upgraded radio to Pioner SPH-10BT
  • AW Stage 1 ECU tune via Alfa9
  • AW Suspension blocks via Alfa9
  • OTIS Wheel Spacers via EC

Next week the car will go into my local mechanic for installation of the suspension blocks, an alignment, and a brand new set of the 10mm-wider Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires (215/40-18 and 245/35-19). Hopefully some better tires and suspension tweaks bring the car's driving confidence up; some great data found lurking these forums so thanks to everyone who has provided good feedback there (and special thanks to @Alfa9 Supply of course!)

Only other future modification currently on my radar might be to tweak the exhaust slightly, but I want more seat time before I make that decision. Aesthetically, the spacers will be adequate for me-- that and my local detail shop when he has an opening will do a paint correct and ceramic coating, and replace the yellowing lower rockers with some fresh PPF. At which point, the weather should be good enough for me to drive and enjoy the car.

Looking forward to sharing more photos and adventures with this car! Cheers.

View attachment 115529
Wow....an LE w/ RED SEATS! sounds like a job for @John4C

·
Super Moderator
16,415 Posts
Sweet!

Welcome.
Fantastic photo, too.

The red seats will be installed after purchase (as lpspeedster alluded to, no Launch cars came that way from the factory). But they are a nice addition. As are your other upgrades.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The red seats will be installed after purchase (as lpspeedster alluded to, no Launch cars came that way from the factory). But they are a nice addition. As are your other upgrades.
AHH that really helps me understand why the monroney (window sticker) says:
Interior: Racing Leather / Microfiber Seats
... but clearly doesn't match the car!

Being small, I actually prefer Alcantara to help keep me stuck-in-place and prevent me floating around. So I'm kind of sad this is the case. Although, I just sold a 2018 Audi R8 which was white with the red seats, and like the 4C, the rest of the interior was black (red inserts on doors, but that was it). So this is an odd "similar" spec, haha!

Do people "seek" the red seats? Are they a hot ticket item? Asking because if I wanted to switch back to the original config/seats that came with the car, would that be the kind of item people desire? (read: someone would want my red seats over their stock black ones?). Though again the red seats do pop and look fun I suppose!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts

Being small, I actually prefer Alcantara to help keep me stuck-in-place and prevent me floating around. So I'm kind of sad this is the case. Although, I just sold a 2018 Audi R8 which was white with the red seats, and like the 4C, the rest of the interior was black (red inserts on doors, but that was it). So this is an odd "similar" spec, haha!

Do people "seek" the red seats? Are they a hot ticket item? Asking because if I wanted to switch back to the original config/seats that came with the car, would that be the kind of item people desire? (read: someone would want my red seats over their stock black ones?). Though again the red seats do pop and look fun I suppose!
Respectfully, you would be seeking OEM Leather/Microfibre seats.

·
Super Moderator
16,415 Posts

Red seats have sold here and elsewhere online. Prices vary a lot. Shipping sucks.
Bet you could trade even, easily, as the red seats are quite rare. You might even come out a bit ahead, but depends on how long you want to wait. Don't sell your seats until you have the replacements, or you'll lose out on an all too short driving season.

NOTE that in order to properly match your LE, the seats need to be stitched in WHITE (was a feature in LE's to have matching stitch and paint). That makes it much harder to find the appropriate ones to buy, unless you aren't fussy and just want the microfibre inserts with any colour stitch.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Wow....an LE w/ RED SEATS! sounds like a job for @John4C
This LE actually belonged to a forum member who tried to sell it on the forum several months ago. He had issues with dashboard delamination on his original LE interior (black leather/microfiber with white stitching), so he replaced the original interior with one out of a 2016 car (hence the red seats and black/red stitching dash board). He subsequently sold the car to Vroom, who sold it in ~12/2020 for ~41k IIRC. It seems like it was then titled in Florida for a minute before going to dealer auction and being acquired by Alfa Strongsville and resold.

Here is his for sale post when he was trying to sell the car with original interior:

Here is his FS post for the LE interior (black/microfiber w/white stitching):

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
NOTE that in order to properly match your LE, the seats need to be stitched in WHITE (was a feature in LE's to have matching stitch and paint). That makes it much harder to find the appropriate ones to buy, unless you aren't fussy and just want the microfibre inserts with any colour stitch.
Yes, honestly the probability of you finding a white stitching interior is virtually zero. There were only 79 total white LEs in North America, and the white stitching interior only appeared in those cars, so you need to find one of the 79 existing white stitching interiors in NA to swap with you...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@John4C - thank you for your help. I actually just found those threads a few hours ago and have been messaging back and forth with the New Jersey seller you mentioned. He sounds like a nice guy, and indeed confirmed the interior work he did. Seems he had an aftermarket ECU on the car, fixed a hose issue causing a limp code, etc. Overall it sounds like he sunk some money into the car before exiting for a 911 GT3. (He told me he wants right to refuse buying the car back when I sell it, so that is a good sign that it isn't a total crap pile hahah) ---

@4Canada -- you're right that I'd have to find those specific seats. But based on what John wrote above -- not to mention the fact that I kind of like the red seats w/red stitching -- and now that I know how much was already done/swapped. It prob really doesn't make sense to bother with it. If I do anything now, I'd either just have the existing seats Alcantara down the center (I've done this before leaving the bolsters in their vinyl/leather format)-- or I'd go with aftermarket seats. TBH, prob just leave it for a while... again more seat time to enjoy and determine if I really want to be bothered.

Thanks to you both, above, for the help and clarification. Agree, John, the car appears to have gotten the tint work done while in FL. Not sure about the funny front lower black PlastiDip work but that has been removed already. The car has 19k miles of driving, so there are imperfections on the exterior -- but a detail shop local to me can resolve most of that (mainly the rocker PPF needs replaced due to yellowing). If the outside can be 95% ideal with normal wear/tear I'll be happy. The interior seem pretty spot on which makes sense given your clarity on the new dash/seats. Car will be stored in a garage now, no FL sun, so let's hope it holds up during my time! Thx!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PS: From what I can tell the owner AFTER the forum seller drove the car ~2k miles (17k to 19k) -- and I saw the oddity on CarFax too re: FL logged in 12/2020 --- then auction, then local -- and indeed, last week I bought the car from Alfa Strongsville, Ohio -- so that is where it went, and where I got it from! I spoke to the head mechanic at AR/Strongsville who said the car seemed mechanically fine, just the exterior cosmetic imperfections. He did not feel the car needed any immediate mechanical TLC -- though owner #3 (forum member) did not do the bolt tightening service, so that may be a worthwhile exploration later this year (?)

·
Super Moderator
16,415 Posts
The factory PPF on the rocker panels is not great - tends to yellow - but it is thick and offers a fair bit of protection.

These cars are pretty solid - I think you'll get lots of miles and smiles out of her!

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,953 Posts
You will enjoy it.....ideally if you COULD find the original black leather/alcantara seats with white stitching, it would be worthwhile but only if you could match to the original dash white stitching which is now red on yours. Some people are fussy and would want a LE exactly as sold but if not that important to you I would do whatever you want.
I do agree that the alcantara seat and back centers DO hold you in much better. If it is a big deal for you, I would look into having the centers of your red seats replaced with alcantara. I would think having a custom upholstery shop would be not that expensive. I think black centers with the red leather outers would look pretty neat. There are some members who have replaced those centers.
Have you already bought the AW ECU VII? If you already have the EC ECU VII....I would just keep it. The EC is very good.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the kind words @RKBerta ... to answer your questions. First off the prior owner sold the ECU and the red car cover separately — so both of those items are gone. Selling dealer is sourcing me the missing car over, tool kit, etc. Waiting on those items. In the meantime, I ordered the AW ECU as the price ($1350 w/entire ECU) was better than the EC one ($1950 I think?) and was trying to be budget minded. Hopefully the performance of the AW is as good as EC? Car still has the V2 intake, so there is that going for me!

As for the seats, I had someone with white seats see this thread and reach out but i actually kind of like/prefer the red stitch work now that I have learned how the cars came otherwise. I agree that the discerning and educated buyer might care, but I wasn’t even aware when I was shopping and I suspect many buyers might not have done that level of work. Either way, I must admit the red stitch is preferred (by me, subjectively) which works for the red seats. If anything I’d consider doing the current red seats customized, and yeah I had found a thread seeing people doing quilting and diamond patterns etc. I’d probably just do red alcantara centers for the reasons of grip as mentioned.

But for now... I’m going to cool my jets. Since buying the car six days ago I’ve already ordered the ECU (which just arrived), new tires, AW Suspension Blocks, wheel spacers, a Pioneer headunit that just got installed (yours truly).. i think that is it? Haha... I should post up photos here of the HU but someone else here did the same prior so its nothing special. Before I’d spend any $$ on the seats which function fine, I’d rather almost get the QuickSilver resonated exhaust to cut down the drone. Plus in videos it sounds better/deeper than the stock race setup i think.. unless that is all just in my head!

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,953 Posts
Thanks for the kind words @RKBerta ... to answer your questions. First off the prior owner sold the ECU and the red car cover separately — so both of those items are gone. Selling dealer is sourcing me the missing car over, tool kit, etc. Waiting on those items. In the meantime, I ordered the AW ECU as the price ($1350 w/entire ECU) was better than the EC one ($1950 I think?) and was trying to be budget minded. Hopefully the performance of the AW is as good as EC? Car still has the V2 intake, so there is that going for me!

As for the seats, I had someone with white seats see this thread and reach out but i actually kind of like/prefer the red stitch work now that I have learned how the cars came otherwise. I agree that the discerning and educated buyer might care, but I wasn’t even aware when I was shopping and I suspect many buyers might not have done that level of work. Either way, I must admit the red stitch is preferred (by me, subjectively) which works for the red seats. If anything I’d consider doing the current red seats customized, and yeah I had found a thread seeing people doing quilting and diamond patterns etc. I’d probably just do red alcantara centers for the reasons of grip as mentioned.

But for now... I’m going to cool my jets. Since buying the car six days ago I’ve already ordered the ECU (which just arrived), new tires, AW Suspension Blocks, wheel spacers, a Pioneer headunit that just got installed (yours truly).. i think that is it? Haha... I should post up photos here of the HU but someone else here did the same prior so its nothing special. Before I’d spend any $$ on the seats which function fine, I’d rather almost get the QuickSilver resonated exhaust to cut down the drone. Plus in videos it sounds better/deeper than the stock race setup i think.. unless that is all just in my head!
The difference in sound on the different exhausts is not dramatic. Personally I would prefer a higher toned rather than a low tone exhaust note. Both the AW and EC VII are very good. AW can get a better price on the Bosche so that is why it is more expensive. You are right.....buying mods is sort of the rabbit hole of the car hobby. But we have a lot of enablers here on the Forum....both members as well as vendors ;)
Before going crazy it is always best to use the car as it is....and than decide what to add or not.....and best bang for the buck. You will find the 4C in stock is damn good to start with. In order of mods:
1. good alignment with front toe to 0 or very slight toe in....NO toe out.
2. good tire pressure gauge....the 4C is very sensitive to different tire pressures. Get a gauge that has a narrower range....not one of those that covers up to very high pressures.
3. consider attending a advanced driving school such as Bondurant or Porsche club track day. That will make more difference than ALL the mods you can put on a car.
4. better rear brake pads IF you do some tracking.
5. Everything else but only do one change at a time....suspension and tires are more important than more power.
6. Of all the suspension mods, I consider the uniballs in the rear triangle to be number one. But only if you plan on doing track days or autocrossing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1. good alignment with front toe to 0 or very slight toe in....NO toe out.
So it is interesting to me you mention this without discussing the caster issues. I actually already have a set of the suspension blocks arriving Monday, being installed next week. I found the twitchy nature of the car suspect, more than just toe issues from past track day experience. And the forums here and a Chris Harris review pretty much confirms that. I do plan to have a slight amount of toe-in since this car will be 98% street use.

2. good tire pressure gauge....the 4C is very sensitive to different tire pressures. Get a gauge that has a narrower range....not one of those that covers up to very high pressures.
I’ve read about that, and the tire pressure sensitivity. I have new Continental tires going on the car next week too (the ExtremeContact Sport that I’ve had good experiences with). Anything is better than PZero (why Audi uses them is beyond me) — and the OE wheels cannot accept Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires (my top pick, but not available in a size that works here) (correct rear, no front) — but I will def keep an eye on the PSI thanks!

3. consider attending a advanced driving school such as Bondurant or Porsche club track day. That will make more difference than ALL the mods you can put on a car.
Already participating in two city-to-city type rally events this year, both of which include some track time. (One is going to be at Autobahn near Chicago, which I’ve run twice before; the other a new track out in New England the name keeps disappearing from my memory). Having done dozens of track days, the One Lap of America twice, etc — I’m no stranger to road courses. But I’m also old enough now that I rarely do them, maybe once a year if anything. I feel like having had enough butt-puckering experiences in that realm, I count my lucky stars I’ve never put more than 2x wheels off before — and didn’t buy this car for that. (Having had friends roll cars with cages, and seeing the damage; i dont think I’d “seriously” rate anything without a cage anymore)

4. better rear brake pads IF you do some tracking.
I was pretty happy with the driving I did with the stock brakes. So this is good to hear that pads are only needed for track level heat. I was impressed with the pads on the car at moment but it wasn’t warm enough to find out their “street” limits.

5. Everything else but only do one change at a time....suspension and tires are more important than more power.
Makes sense. That is part of why the AW ECU tune i have isn’t installed yet. I was going to hopefully do that this weekened. Yes, I have the tune already. Considering some of my past/recent cars (2018 Audi R8 RWS V10, 2017 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S, etc) — this car is great handling but a bit underwhelming power. So I knew the tune was going to be a “want” and “must have” as well. The car is far from slow in stock form, but I think this will make up just the right amount of difference. Hopefully I’m right..?! ;)

6. Of all the suspension mods, I consider the uniballs in the rear triangle to be number one. But only if you plan on doing track days or autocrossing
Back to the suspension again you mention this and not the caster blocks — which is interesting to me. And funny enough since I tend to Have driven fairly “aggressive” street cars, I fear that the blocks/alignment wont be enough. That said the cost of the rear triangle with the uni-ball upgrade is a decent amount if cash to throw into a car that “should” have been better stock. So ... do you think the blocks + alignment (dialed in for maybe -1.5deg camber front/rear and toe-in front/rear 2F/3R) will be ample? I’m afraid the bushings will still have too much “play” for my rather “aggressive” street driving nature. I guess we’ll see—- to your point #5 above, i am better off to wait, see, and then ADD the triangle later. If needed.

I’ll let you know how that plays out!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Shaka - you mention the drone as an issue. I have an awesome Helmholtz exhaust from Sector 111. Never thought about selling it, but I am not using it any more (I went back to the original - I don't hear the drone any more - my wife says it has made me deaf). If you ever have an interest, let me know. I paid 600. Will let it go for half + shipping. PM if any interest. I don't check PM every day so be patient.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,953 Posts
So it is interesting to me you mention this without discussing the caster issues. I actually already have a set of the suspension blocks arriving Monday, being installed next week. I found the twitchy nature of the car suspect, more than just toe issues from past track day experience. And the forums here and a Chris Harris review pretty much confirms that. I do plan to have a slight amount of toe-in since this car will be 98% street use.

I’ve read about that, and the tire pressure sensitivity. I have new Continental tires going on the car next week too (the ExtremeContact Sport that I’ve had good experiences with). Anything is better than PZero (why Audi uses them is beyond me) — and the OE wheels cannot accept Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires (my top pick, but not available in a size that works here) (correct rear, no front) — but I will def keep an eye on the PSI thanks!

Already participating in two city-to-city type rally events this year, both of which include some track time. (One is going to be at Autobahn near Chicago, which I’ve run twice before; the other a new track out in New England the name keeps disappearing from my memory). Having done dozens of track days, the One Lap of America twice, etc — I’m no stranger to road courses. But I’m also old enough now that I rarely do them, maybe once a year if anything. I feel like having had enough butt-puckering experiences in that realm, I count my lucky stars I’ve never put more than 2x wheels off before — and didn’t buy this car for that. (Having had friends roll cars with cages, and seeing the damage; i dont think I’d “seriously” rate anything without a cage anymore)

I was pretty happy with the driving I did with the stock brakes. So this is good to hear that pads are only needed for track level heat. I was impressed with the pads on the car at moment but it wasn’t warm enough to find out their “street” limits.

Makes sense. That is part of why the AW ECU tune i have isn’t installed yet. I was going to hopefully do that this weekened. Yes, I have the tune already. Considering some of my past/recent cars (2018 Audi R8 RWS V10, 2017 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S, etc) — this car is great handling but a bit underwhelming power. So I knew the tune was going to be a “want” and “must have” as well. The car is far from slow in stock form, but I think this will make up just the right amount of difference. Hopefully I’m right..?! ;)

6. Of all the suspension mods, I consider the uniballs in the rear triangle to be number one. But only if you plan on doing track days or autocrossing
Back to the suspension again you mention this and not the caster blocks — which is interesting to me. And funny enough since I tend to Have driven fairly “aggressive” street cars, I fear that the blocks/alignment wont be enough. That said the cost of the rear triangle with the uni-ball upgrade is a decent amount if cash to throw into a car that “should” have been better stock. So ... do you think the blocks + alignment (dialed in for maybe -1.5deg camber front/rear and toe-in front/rear 2F/3R) will be ample? I’m afraid the bushings will still have too much “play” for my rather “aggressive” street driving nature. I guess we’ll see—- to your point #5 above, i am better off to wait, see, and then ADD the triangle later. If needed.

I’ll let you know how that plays out!
If you do the other things mentioned above you may or may not need to get the AW caster blocks. My car runs fine after the alignment, rear uniballs, and better tires. If you already have them fine....no harm done. The Continental tires are a good choice. I am currently running Mich PSS in 215/245 and same aspect ratio as stock. They work very well...far better than the PZeros. BUT the PSS have been replaced by the 4S and don't know when or if they will bring out the 215 sizes....225 are too wide on the 7" front rims although will work but not best perfomance. There are a couple of other tire brand choices out there but have no personal use so can't comment one way or the other. The Bridgestone's are highly rated although wear faster due to soft compound.

A lot of the unsettled feel of the car at speed is due to the rubber bushings in the rear lower triangle. Lots written on the Forum about that....the uniball conversion makes a huge difference in feel of the car. Stock the rear of the car under hard cornering changes camber like a yo-yo as it loads unloads, loads, unloads. This becomes much more of an issue as you get stickier tires or push the car hard when cornering.

The most important thing is to do changes one at a time so you can narrow down any issues to a specific change. If you throw a bunch of stuff on the car you can be chasing your tail trying to identify what works and what doesn't. And worse you can make the car worse handling....even dangerous.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the reply @RKBerta --- ultimately, Matt (Alfa9) suggested the blocks FIRST (not the rear arms) and the data on the forums was also leaning more towards that. Matt seemed to think the rear arm/uni-ball was more a track item, than a street item. Since the overall cost of the parts/labor for the mounts was less than the rear arms (both required an alignment and my local shop was very aggressive in the cost to install the blocks) -- I went that route. Again, this was GREATLY influenced by Matt/A9 and his suggestion of going that route first.

So right now at the moment:
  • Front tires are the stock PZero
  • Rear tires are the 245 upgrade MPS4S
  • Suspension is otherwise completely stock (alignment is, presumably, stock spec)

My plans for the "first" round of changes are:
  • Swap tires to a MATCHED set of 215/40-18 F and 245/35-19 R (Conti ExtremeContact Sport)
  • Install the AW Suspension Blocks and do an alignment at same time

Normally I'd do just 1x at a time but the mismatched tires and my disdain for PZero meant it was a smart move to swap tires. If the MPSS were still available in 215/40 I'd have run those, as I feel that "mismatched" SS-F/4S-R combo would have been ok. Since that was not option and used MPSS fronts meh (dont like "used" tires) -- I felt this was ideal. And new tires + alignment at same time = my personal preference on cars of this nature. So long as that was the case, and based on again feedback here "touting" the blocks/caster resolve, that made sense to do. I realize just an alignment w/o blocks MAY have been enough -- guess in that regard I am kind of doing 2x things at once.

What will kind of suck here is ... based on what you have written, I'll perhaps end up wanting the rear uni-ball even AFTER the above noted items? In which case not only is that added cost, but its a double-dip of alignment after. (read: paying for a 2nd alignment). Guess I wont know till I see ... but it is interesting to me because most people seem to go for the blocks first, yet you're saying go for the uni-balls/rear arm fix first.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Welcome (to Ohio). I am here in Knox County with my baby still in hibernation.

let me know if you have any questions or need help as I am a couple hours from you.
I’ve mildly dabbled in modding the 4C over the past 6 years.

·
Super Moderator
16,415 Posts
Welcome (to Ohio). I am here in Knox County with my baby still in hibernation.

let me know if you have any questions or need help as I am a couple hours from you.
I’ve mildly dabbled in modding the 4C over the past 6 years.
"mildly dabbled". ROTFL.

@Shaka , I don't think that there is a part of the car that Docron hasn't taken apart, fixed or upgraded.
You'll find his name all over most of the DIY's on this forum!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts