Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
224 Posts
I am using the CG- Lok again in 2023. My 4C is equipped with GMS front and rear suspension arms, GMS anti roll bars, GMS rear hatch / wing combo. Rudi is great to deal with and wonderful sharing setup information. I also run Advan Wheels, Tarox Rotors and brake lines, and will be installing Nitron Shocks from Alfa9 Supply. Matt is also great to deal with. Looking forward to our season at Grand Bend Raceway in Ontario Canada which begins in May.
Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire Car

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Love how the number looks and excellent taste in color. :) Did you do all the mods in one go, or over time? What did you find made the most difference?

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Another question actually… I’ve never done the alfaworks blocks. The car is lively but not outlandish IMO. It does have rear spacers which were on when I bought it, but those will come off with the new deeper wheels. I’ve read from folks elsewhere that with a reasonable alignment (and I’m intending to use Gale’s recommendation post control arm install) they’re not needed because they’re mostly a cheat sheet set of shims. But am I thinking of that correctly?

· Administrator
19,454 Posts
Depends on what alignment you are looking for.
You should have no problem achieving the street alignment on stock blocks. And yes, the Alfa Workshop blocks are not a necessity - they make finding a good alignment easier, is all. Much less relevant to later cars where they came from the factory in better alignment, or owners found the secret sauce (partly due to information shared on this forum).
If you want a higher negative camber alignment (such as is suggested for tracking), you may need to avail yourself of a set of Race blocks. They have thinner top blocks, so you don’t need as many spacers on the bottom (you may max out the mounting bolt length otherwise). Seems that the hand-built nature of our cars means that people have had differing experiences here.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Are the camber differences for track setup meaningfully worse on the street? Presumably more uneven tire wear but beyond that? And given the variance here would you guys recommend doing a standard alignment before trying the blocks?

· Administrator
19,454 Posts
Are the camber differences for track setup meaningfully worse on the street? Presumably more uneven tire wear but beyond that? And given the variance here would you guys recommend doing a standard alignment before trying the blocks?
If the car is primarily street, stay away from extreme camber. You can find your happy place between street and track recommendations. You aren’t setting any lap records in a street car anyway. I’d start with an alignment, and as your track journey progresses, you may feel it eventually becomes inadequate. Meanwhile, it will not reduce your enjoyment of the car on track.

Start with mods for safety and reliability. Good brake pads and fluids. Increase frequency of services. Get decently sticky rubber of a wider than stock size (more track dedicated if you have a second set of wheels exclusively for these). Harness or CG-Lok are a good idea, but you can even spoof the crash lock on the shoulder belt to lock yourself in better. The uniballs are highly recommended. After that, your experience and preferences will guide your future mods. My $0.02 worth (CDN no less :) )

· Registered
153 Posts
How many track days have you had? Instructors tell me that instruction / seat time is worth more than any mod. That said, if you are adding mods, consider safety stuff first (e.g., restraint systems / seating / brakes). Got a good helmet? Hybrid neck and shoulder system? So many ways to spend money! Here is a discussion with some good tips for track days, including @Docron 's post: First time Track Day at NJMP | Page 2 | Alfa Romeo 4C Forums (4c-forums.com). Have fun!

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I’ve done 5 days so far with 3 of them next to instructor. After my last one the instructor gave the nod to move me to intermediate but then work went nuts and I didn’t get back to the track. I did upgrade the pads ahead of the last day since the OEM were wearing and I needed to change. I’ve basic but solid helmet (two actually because I wanted an open face after buying a closed to start). I don’t have a hans but my understanding was you shouldn’t use them without harness etc. I picked up a cg-lock from a forum member and definitely found that improved staying in seat. :) I definitely want to ease into upgrades but the control arms seem like such an overwhelmingly positive to folks that it seemed like the place to start. And since I’m upping the tires I thought it might be the time.

I’m hoping to do some focused time with a private instructor this next season as well, there’s an outfit that does license prep that I may check out even though I don’t expect to be racing the 4c. Right now I just like being in an activity that gets me out of my own head. I raced track cycles (like you see in the ovals in the Olympics) when I was younger but as I’ve gotten older and wider I can’t hack the bike anymore. Lapping has been the closest thing I’ve found to getting that level of intense focus again and I really love it.

· Registered
153 Posts
I’ve done 5 days so far with 3 of them next to instructor. After my last one the instructor gave the nod to move me to intermediate but then work went nuts and I didn’t get back to the track. I did upgrade the pads ahead of the last day since the OEM were wearing and I needed to change. I’ve basic but solid helmet (two actually because I wanted an open face after buying a closed to start). I don’t have a hans but my understanding was you shouldn’t use them without harness etc. I picked up a cg-lock from a forum member and definitely found that improved staying in seat. :) I definitely want to ease into upgrades but the control arms seem like such an overwhelmingly positive to folks that it seemed like the place to start. And since I’m upping the tires I thought it might be the time.

I’m hoping to do some focused time with a private instructor this next season as well, there’s an outfit that does license prep that I may check out even though I don’t expect to be racing the 4c. Right now I just like being in an activity that gets me out of my own head. I raced track cycles (like you see in the ovals in the Olympics) when I was younger but as I’ve gotten older and wider I can’t hack the bike anymore. Lapping has been the closest thing I’ve found to getting that level of intense focus again and I really love it.
Awesome - keep up the good work. I am still a relative newb to track driving too - fun to see progress. Very cool on track bike racing! I recently gave up my fixie - going to stick with free wheel hubs going forward :). Let us know how the track days go. I need to start signing up now for mine for this year! Working on my passenger side Tillett B5 seat and bracket situation as well - an engineering puzzle for me, but a good challenge.

· Registered
7 Posts
Is it track season yet?

As I wait for the lovely new wheels I’ve ordered (h/t @John4C) it’s made me contemplate other changes for the 2023 season. With the addition of the new wheels I’ll need a new set of tires, and I think I’m likely to go with the PS4S though I’m curious if anyone in warmer climes has tried out the newer 71RS on the 4c?

Beyond the wheels and tires I think I’ll have the shop install the GMS Uniballs for the rear. I can’t say I’ve been disappointed with the feel I get from the rear of the car, but I’m also just not that good of a driver. I’m not confident I have the butt dynamics needed to parse the difference, but I’m curious to see.

From there I think I’ll take a look at seat(s) (perhaps only driver side) and a harness. How do people decide on seats? I’m frankly a bit clueless and it seems like ideally I’d go sit in them before dropping a couple of grand on them. The Tillet’s at Alfa9 are very pretty. I don’t want to just have the car become pure track rat as I make the adjusts so having an Alfa logo and some diamond stitching would suit me fine. But there’s not exactly a showroom for them in Chicagoland as best I can tell. And with respect to adding a harness bar it doesn’t seem they have theirs in stock, is the Kensai bar actually the same? Any meaningful differences around these if I’m looking for something bolt in?

Have I missed anything that the track folks think should be considered as must haves, even for relative newbies on the track? Anything folks would steer me away from?

Thanks all!
I have the GMS lower control arms and believe me you will love the difference.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts