Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This might've been covered before but first time I've done it. And I think I came up with some possible new ideas.

First time I changed wheels at the track last weekend and was able to use my new jack and jackstands.

The flat top jackstands I bought from Sector 111 they sell them other places too but I like to support our vendors. I really like them but they're too tall at the lowest setting for a low car. So I'm having my welder cut off about an inch of the top of the checkstand and also the stem that comes out of it. That way the jackstand will be a good inch or so little lower it's the lowest setting. Because I feel it doesn't go low enough if you jack up one side of the car and put them under it they are really at an angle on the carbon fiber tub with only the very edge part of that round disk touching the tub. Once I make the jackstands lower it will be less of an angle and safer. I will take a few pictures of the modified and lowered jackstands when I get them back today.

For the jack I wanted one with low profile and long reach there's not a lot to choose from. I did see some somewhere that weighed about 75 pounds that would reach in enough but I couldn't find where to buy them so I bought this for heavier duty one that weighs about 100 pounds and goes even further in. It's a bit heavy but it sure is an awesome jack. We used it on my friends car and he was way impressed. It is the Arcan XL2T Black Low Profile Steel Service Jack - 2 Ton Capacity costs about $258 delivered. More than I wanted to spend but again it's a great jack. The upper part of the handle comes off so it fits in the back of a truck easy. And I use the jack to lift up at the front of my tilt trailer to assist in loading my car onto the tilt trailer, works great for that with this pipe extension I put on.

For changing tires I took advice from members on this forum and jacked up one entire side just by putting the jack on the rear lift position. No problem at all. Because the jackstands are still too tall and my jack is such a quality one I just left the car up on the jack without jackstands while I swapped the tires front to back.
With my lowered jackstands I'll be able to put a jackstand under the front lift point on the tub and then put the other jackstand farther back on the tub but not on a lift point (as the jack would be on that lift point already).
Anyway that's how you can quickly swap tires front to rear.

For jacking up the rear end of the car only, because I have the Sector 111 Liftpad on the back of my car, I can quickly and easily lift up the rear end and use both jackstands to put on the rear lift points and have the back of the car jacked up safely and easily.

For swapping tires from left to right side takes a little more thinking. I think the best way is to lift the rear end and secure it with two jackstands on the rear lift points like I just described, and then take my jack to one side of the car and using the front lift point jack up that one front tire on that one side. Then with three wheels in the air, I would swap that front tire with the rear tire on the opposite side. I am able to do this because I have a square set up. If I didn't seems I would need a second low-profile long reach jack to lift up the final front tire. Or possibly I could jack up that one front side and put a piece of wood (or third jackstand if I want to raise it that high) near the front lift point on the tub and then take the jack to the other front side and lift that final front tire. I think the carbon tub is strong enough to be lifted or secured a little distance off of the front lift points I'm not sure though. Maybe use a piece of wood to spread the stress? Any opinions?

Or I would use my Quickjack which lifts the entire car up without needing any jackstands but that's kind of big and heavy and I don't want to carry that out too often. But it might be what's needed to have all four tires off the ground unless I used two low-profile long reach jacks.

And the Quickjack is absolutely what I would use if I'm going to roll around underneath the car. Very safe for that. With four jackstands, maybe not so safe for crawling around underneath the car.

I also really like my battery operated lug nut tool, DEWALT DCF899P1 20V MAX XR Brushless High Torque 1/2" Impact Wrench Kit with Detent Anvil.
It has all the power you need to take off any lug nut and the battery lasts forever. The one I got is brushless motor but there's another Dewalt one with a brush motor that's quite a bit less and probably would be good enough I'm not sure if it has the same strength or not.

Here's some photos.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Good pictures. I have the same jack and same impact. Great minds think alike!

I also have a lightweight aluminum race jack that I take to the track, but it doesn't have enough reach to get to the Alfa's rear jack points.

A rubber hockey puck on the jack pad adds some protection for the underside of the car. Also, some "pool noodle"-type pipe insulation over the jack handle adds paint protection.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Hey!!!
That looks like my floorjack too... ;)

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
That Sector 111 Liftpad works nice doesn't it? I'm using it right now for the first time to left the rear to install my EC V2 intake.

Get one of these for your jack though to help put some padding between the jack and your undercarriage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
I have the exact same jack...works great! But I don't carry it to the track since i'm a drive to & from track only. I use a hockey puck on the jack, cheaper than other options!

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That Sector 111 Liftpad works nice doesn't it? I'm using it right now for the first time to left the rear to install my EC V2 intake.

Get one of these for your jack though to help put some padding between the jack and your undercarriage.

Thanks that's a good idea I just ordered one.

It's funny at my race shop we needed to jack up my tilt trailer and needed a big extension on the jack to reach the high area we needed to jack up.

The owner just grabbed a piece of pipe laying around and it fit perfectly snug on there and also what is the right length. I mean it's so perfect it'
tight it won't come off unless you pull on it. The inside diameter is 3 7/8"

Now I use that to jack up the trailer bed to make it stay tilted while I drive on there. If it was a piece of wood it could wobble and fall off and I wouldn't trust it but because it's such a snug fit it's almost an extension of the jack!

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the exact same jack...works great! But I don't carry it to the track since i'm a drive to & from track only. I use a hockey puck on the jack, cheaper than other options!

Oh I remember those carefree good old days for me too..... before I got deep in my addiction! Those were good times!

Now car goes to the track on a tilt trailer.
And a custom 34foot long gooseneck trailer with a garage and a living quarters is on its way. Oh my I think that's going to be the end though!

But I think you racing seat people are sicker than me though!

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Since the rear jacking point has a spot for a locator pin, wouldn't it be more secure to fashion something like this for the floor jack?

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
My race shop has this one I took a crummy picture of it. It looked like it would work with it being low and with fairly long reach. Looks to weigh about 75 pounds definitely lighter than the 100 pound ones we have.
He thinks he bought it at Costco a long time ago. Maybe next time I'm there I'll look for the brand. But it does not reach in as far as the Arcan brand one.

Edit Maybe it is this one:
Not a lot smaller as still weighs 98 pounds vs 103lbs but look at the price only $130 but with a $65 shipping brings it up to $195 versus $257 But does not go is as low at 3.5 inch verse 2.75 inch and does not reach in as far but looks like it would work on the 4C. So maybe not worth the $63savings. Especially if you had a flat tire and needed that extra low clearance.
http://m.northerntool.com/products/...Jd1v7ZxxITW_QU4YCCTotyD4OZIoCW2RoYaAltW8P8HAQ

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I just checked. That 3.5 ton is the one I have. Bought at Northern Tool.

Once you get that nifty trailer, you can cruise around the country visiting tracks. When should I expect you?

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just checked. That 3.5 ton is the one I have. Bought at Northern Tool.

Once you get that nifty trailer, you can cruise around the country visiting tracks. When should I expect you?

I've already thought about it!

Your local track Motorsport Ranch looks great.

When is it that Alex in Germany will be bringing his race car over to COTA? I thought it was in August. Early August that would be a good time.

·
Super Moderator
16,535 Posts
Oh I remember those carefree good old days for me too..... before I got deep in my addiction! Those were good times!

Now car goes to the track on a tilt trailer.
And a custom 34foot long gooseneck trailer with a garage and a living quarters is on its way. Oh my I think that's going to be the end though!

But I think you racing seat people are sicker than me though!
The first step in solving any problem is to admit that you have a problem...
:wink2:

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The first step in solving any problem is to admit that you have a problem...

:wink2:

Actually I think the first step is considering that you might want to admit that you have a problem knowing full well that admission could lead to you having to give up some of the fun stuff you like to do. And who in the hell wants to do that?!

Yes I'm a very difficult patient.

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
Oh I remember those carefree good old days for me too..... And a custom 34foot long gooseneck trailer with a garage and a living quarters is on its way.
NICE! I was looking to buy a newish truck (Ford 250) for around $40-50k and a camper trailer for the family, but decided to get the 4C instead. :grin2: I think i would be hard pressed to buy a truck & trailer now (wife would kill me). My Lexus SUV can haul 4000 lbs (has tow package), and that would be right on the edge of a trailer and the 4C. So I'll keep driving to the track for the foreseeable future.

You will have to show us pics of the trailer when you get it. I looked at an enclosed trailer, but was worried about getting in and out of the Alfa's doors....

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,041 Posts
For those who want an extra low jack with very long reach that is perfect for our 4C....and a lot cheaper than the ones posted earlier...check out Harbor Freight. It goes on sale quite a bit and price is just a bit over $100 as I recall. It is very well made and has high ratings from owners. Besides the jack handle, there is also a foot pedal to quickly raise it when positioning it under the car. I have this one and another regular model, both from Harbor Freight and they have been fine....the older standard one has been in use for around 14 years on my other cars.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
For those who want an extra low jack with very long reach that is perfect for our 4C....and a lot cheaper than the ones posted earlier...check out Harbor Freight. It goes on sale quite a bit and price is just a bit over $100 as I recall. It is very well made and has high ratings from owners. Besides the jack handle, there is also a foot pedal to quickly raise it when positioning it under the car. I have this one and another regular model, both from Harbor Freight and they have been fine....the older standard one has been in use for around 14 years on my other cars.
Do you have a link or part number?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts