Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4c Spider, 2016, red
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stage 1 Alfa Workshop ECU and fitted it pretty soon after I got the car so don't recall exactly what the car was like to drive with standard ECU.

At low speeds (I know, I should be thrashing it, but there are speed limits :)) the car is quite jerky. e.g. 30 - 35 mph, around 2,500 rpm it is noticeably not smooth, especially when the car is not warmed up. If I use cruise control it is fine, so I'm thinking throttle issue. Is there something I can investigate in the throttle - any connectors to check?

If not, I may switch the ECU back to standard, and see if the problem is the same.

·
Super Moderator
9,037 Posts
I have a stage 1 Alfa Workshop ECU and fitted it pretty soon after I got the car so don't recall exactly what the car was like to drive with standard ECU.

At low speeds (I know, I should be thrashing it, but there are speed limits :)) the car is quite jerky. e.g. 30 - 35 mph, around 2,500 rpm it is noticeably not smooth, especially when the car is not warmed up. If I use cruise control it is fine, so I'm thinking throttle issue. Is there something I can investigate in the throttle - any connectors to check?

If not, I may switch the ECU back to standard, and see if the problem is the same.
Try relaxing your ankle/foot. I had a problem with a jerky throttle, especially over bumps early on in my ownership, but found if I relaxed my foot and ankle it all smoothed out. It took practise though. I was simply too tense in the new environment.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Gonna take this opportunity to ask: Does it feel pretty jerky to anyone else when the injectors shut off? Like after taking your foot entirely off the throttle. Or when they turn back on again? Nothing to do with the input itself, it's just the shutoff that is rough...there's a noticeable delay too. Sometimes the jerkiness is worse for some reason.

Also, I really wish they didn't "front-load" the pedal inputs so much. Makes it a hassle to drive slowly and also makes it a bit disappointing when you do get to bury your foot in it.

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a stage 3, mine is jerky at low speeds too, it only happens when driving ultra slow in residential it seems, I’m sure to the onlooker it appears that car is a manual and the driver isn’t in the correct gear for the speed.

(At stock it was jerky when the engine was cold)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ive noticed that the shoe type I wear plays a role in how jerky it is. The more sensitive the foot sole is the better I can control the inputs to the throttle when traveling slower with bumpier roads. My thicker shoes or flip flops make for a jerkiest ride. I can usually resolve this by switch to normal mode and decrease the sensitivity.

·
Registered
4c Spider, 2016, red
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a stage 3, mine is jerky at low speeds too, it only happens when driving ultra slow in residential it seems, I’m sure to the onlooker it appears that car is a manual and the driver isn’t in the correct gear for the speed.
Yes, that is what it feels like. I'll experiment a bit with different foot positions, and also whether it is different if battery is freshly charged etc. (I do keep it on a battery tender if not using it for a while).

I will also experiment with different shoes, thanks for the suggestion. Good excuses to go for a drive :giggle:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ive noticed that the shoe type I wear plays a role in how jerky it is. The more sensitive the foot sole is the better I can control the inputs to the throttle when traveling slower with bumpier roads. My thicker shoes or flip flops make for a jerkiest ride. I can usually resolve this by switch to normal mode and decrease the sensitivity.
I think rgoldm2 is on to something. My "chipped" 944 Turbo had an aggressive jerkiness that had to be modulated gently via the throttle. A good shoe is important. Not sure about 4C, but I need a narrow Puma sneaker to drive my Elise. Driving to the gym in my Asics sneaker results in "hanging up" in the pedals.

As an aside, I do worry about finding an unmolested 4C. I can tell you when I sold my pristine 944 Turbo, I got less than I could have because of the "chip". Buyers who were willing to pay my high asking price, shied away when they found out it had the chip.

·
Registered
4c Spider, 2016, red
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As an aside, I do worry about finding an unmolested 4C. I can tell you when I sold my pristine 944 Turbo, I got less than I could have because of the "chip". Buyers who were willing to pay my high asking price, shied away when they found out it had the chip.
I bought an additional ECU, so can easily swap the original back in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have pilotti shoes that are made as driving shoes. Straight pipes on YouTube advertise for them sometimes. Honestly they are very cool, very high quality shoes and they make driving that much better. I have no connection to the company but I would definitely buy more of their shoes. They were fairly expensive but worth it

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
Some great suggestions... The shoe does make a difference. There are certain shoes that I will NOT wear when driving the 4C. Feel and grippyness if "bad" can make it hard to drive the car smoothly. Your foot grabs the peddle instead of a smooth slide motion. The other part is that you have to learn to squeeze the throttle. It is like shooting a gun, for those of you who have shot, you squeeze the trigger or you will miss your target. Even after 5 years of ownership, I can make the car jerk in traffic. This happens when I get off the brake and get on the gas quickly and don't allow the engine, transmission, and car to stabilize during the transition. It can be very bad if the engine RPM is 3k or more (and I run the stock ECU). It is a matter of focus, muscle training, and planning ahead. These tune ECUs will be worse, so you will need to be smoother...

·
Registered
773 Posts
Wear flip flops. No jerkiness lol.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Some great suggestions... The shoe does make a difference. There are certain shoes that I will NOT wear when driving the 4C. Feel and grippyness if "bad" can make it hard to drive the car smoothly. Your foot grabs the peddle instead of a smooth slide motion. The other part is that you have to learn to squeeze the throttle. It is like shooting a gun, for those of you who have shot, you squeeze the trigger or you will miss your target. Even after 5 years of ownership, I can make the car jerk in traffic. This happens when I get off the brake and get on the gas quickly and don't allow the engine, transmission, and car to stabilize during the transition. It can be very bad if the engine RPM is 3k or more (and I run the stock ECU). It is a matter of focus, muscle training, and planning ahead. These tune ECUs will be worse, so you will need to be smoother...
Yes, i can not drive with my running shoes/army boots/working shoes. They all have a on/off feeling for the trottle. My gym shoes are my driving shoes.....

·
Registered
2015 4C Spider, 2018 BMW M140i
56 Posts
With the Alfaworks Stage 1 remap, they can flash it back to factory mapping, if one did not get an extra ECU like Anglospider did. I asked them specifically when I had my done by them, just in case I did not get on the the Stage 1 mapping (not likely. Had it for a month now and all good.) or to sell (even less likely - love the 4C!) to someone who did not want the remap.

·
Registered
143 Posts
After my last maintenance prepping for upcoming track days, oddly enough the jerkiness seems to have vanished. Aside from fresh fluids and timing belt replacement nothing was done to the engine. I’ve only taken it out once so far but for like 200 miles, I was very pleased.

·
Registered
438 Posts
After my last maintenance prepping for upcoming track days, oddly enough the jerkiness seems to have vanished. Aside from fresh fluids and timing belt replacement nothing was done to the engine. I’ve only taken it out once so far but for like 200 miles, I was very pleased.
Did this coincidence perhaps with the buying of new shoes?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm confused are you talking about having sex or driving a 4C, it may just be my thought process😜

1 - 20 of 39 Posts